Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any real difference in terms of power between the 1.0 turbo 90ps and the 115ps. I've got a new job and requires me to drive around 40 miles per day 5 times a week and needed something better on petrol as i currently own a Honda Civic Type R. I've ordered an SRi 1.0t 90ps but been looking at the Limited Edition.

The LE comes with 115ps whereas the SRi comes with 90ps. I want to keep petrol costs to a minimum and wondered if there are any real performance difference between the 90ps and 115ps. I know the 0-60 time is slightly better on the 115ps.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I can't comment on the performance of either 1.0T's as I ordered a 1.4T :)

However I'm confused with your post. It suggests you have already ordered the car with the 90PS engine, isn't it too late to switch to a different engine or trim? or is yours not a factory order?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes mine is factory ordered.

Well i thought this until the dealer came to me saying they have an LE 115ps in white come available from the factory and that i could have that instead of the SRi.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ah, I see! I prefer the LE myself as I'm a sucker for the bodykit and lowered suspension. :)

I honestly doubt there will be much difference between the mpg of the 90PS or the 115PS in normal driving as the 115PS is recorded at 5K rpm which you are unlikely to be using daily if you are driving carefully for best mpg. Upto 3.5K rpm the 90PS and 115PS have pretty much the same power and torque anyway. The biggest gains in mpg will be had from careful driving and journey types and a well driven 115PS vehicle will probably do better than a badly driven 90PS and vice versa.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Looking at the comparison of the 90PS SRi and the 115PS LE in 3 door form you can see that the torque is the same at the lower rpm range which is what you'll be using most of the time, hence the reason why most reviews have said that the 90PS feels almost as powerful as the 115PS, that is because it has identical power upto 3500'ish rpm.

The main difference in mpg will be because the LE has the 215 wide tyres as against the SRi's 195 wide tyres and because the bodykit on the LE is heavy and causes more drag, the result is marginally worse mpg.

I don't know if you've run this comparison?

Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that!

I do like the look of the LE with the additional bodykit.

The reason i went with the SRi was purely because of the higher MPG. Shall i stick with the SRi or go for the LE. They say i'll get the LE quicker than the SRi.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I honestly can't comment on the actual mpg you will get as I don't know how you drive or what type of journey you do to work. Somebody else that actually runs the 1.0T will be along soon to comment I'm sure. :)

I actually chose the 1.4T because my gut instinct was that it would return the best mpg of all the petrol engines on my 99% motorway 250 mile commute (couple of times a week) in real world driving conditions. I will soon know as I collect my car tomorrow and it will be doing a 300 mile motorway journey on Monday!

I would be very wary of what the dealer says with regards to delivery times on any model. My car is 3 weeks late to when the dealer suggested it would be available when I placed my order. Most factory orders are taking around 12 weeks. The only way the dealer could get one faster would be to get one already built which I assume is the case with yours?

EDIT: If mpg is really critical then did you consider a diesel?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you!

The route i'll be taking will be down country lanes with some dual carriageway driving. I'm thinking the SRi will be more comfortable with the higher suspension but obviously you'll have more fun in the LE.

Like i said, i want the best MPG. The dealer only wants £200 quid more from me if i go from the SRi to the LE.

They are both bog standard, nothing added, just the white paint.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
SRi with comfort chassis and narrower, higher profile tyres sounds like the better bet for country lanes.

Diesel would be best engine for outright mpg but then you have the noise and higher maintenance costs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I considered a diesel but decided against it as i'm not doing a huge amount of miles. 40 per day x 5 = 200 and then some weekend driving. No more than 225 miles a week.

I think i'll stick with the SRi :)

How much did you end up paying for the LE if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Good choice! I have been looking into trim levels myself snd like the SRi as it has the comfort chassis and smaller wheels but has the lovely black wheels like the LE that costs a lot more! Only thing is, I would need the winter pack as an option. I looked at SE but don't really want parking sensors.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
daparky said:
I considered a diesel but decided against it as i'm not doing a huge amount of miles. 40 per day x 5 = 200 and then some weekend driving. No more than 225 miles a week.

I think i'll stick with the SRi :)

How much did you end up paying for the LE if you don't mind me asking?
I agree with your decision. I'll be doing about 15K miles a year in the Corsa as we also have 3 classic Land Rovers so I'll be using them mostly in winter and at weekends as my fun vehicles so the Corsa is really just to get me to work and back.

I reckon that with the petrol cars being cheaper to buy, petrol being cheaper at the pump and the fact that within a few years there will be huge hikes in diesel running costs (VED rates, diesel fuel duty and congestion charges) the petrol worked out not much more expensive to own even at a lower mpg.

My commute is mostly motorway or fast A roads so the sports suspension is better suited.

My Corsa was 15K, damned expensive for a small car IMHO but the Fabia and Polo were even more expensive for similar spec.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've bit the bullet and gone for the Limited Edition for 200 quid more.

The only thing I can see that the SRi has that the LE doesn't is the sight and light pack 1 which has rain sensitive wipers, anti dazzle rear view and auto lighting.

I think I've done right going for the version with the body kit, lowered suspension etc. I worked out that the 90ps would do 7 miles extra to the gallon which I can live with.

At least it'll be more economical than my Type R :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Congratulations daparky, I look forward to the pictures :)

Got my 1.4 turbo LE yesterday, done 75 miles so far (mostly stuck in traffic, town and rural road driving) and averaging 51mpg so far (according to the fuel computer). This figure should get better once my engine is run in too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.