Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently developed a ticking noise when idling and my car sounds pretty noisy for my liking. its only started i think and ive done about 2500 miles. im also not getting the best mpg, could this be an exhaust leak? or what else could cause this ticking?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'll say the same on this post :lol:

What MPG are you getting? More likely than not, you are probably shifting up too late, causing high revs and thus low mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill say the same on this post then.

Shifting up before 2500 rpm. Travel in as high a gear as possible without laboring the engine. About 60% of my miles are motorway travelling at 65mph. I think the diference in alot of peoples mpg on here is they have a 6 speed gearbox, where as i have the 5 speed. why do you find it so difficult to believe that there is a problem with the car?

·
Registered
455 Posts
What MPG are you getting? I'm not sure about the ticking noise, is it when idle or? Does it sound like it's coming from in front or behind you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 35-37 ish. The ticking noise is when idle and sounds like its coming from in front of me. It sounds like a 10 year old diesel when im in low gears.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
05SMCGINTY said:
Ill say the same on this post then.

Shifting up before 2500 rpm. Travel in as high a gear as possible without laboring the engine. About 60% of my miles are motorway travelling at 65mph. I think the diference in alot of peoples mpg on here is they have a 6 speed gearbox, where as i have the 5 speed. why do you find it so difficult to believe that there is a problem with the car?
It's not believing that the car has a problem, its ruling out that it is not driver error - which is usually the case.

Do you use Cruise Control when on the motorway? That usually improves it, unless its a hilly motorway of course!

Also, it's probably split 50/50 between the 1.4na and 1.4T on here.

05SMCGINTY said:
About 35-37 ish. The ticking noise is when idle and sounds like its coming from in front of me. It sounds like a 10 year old diesel when im in low gears.
35-37 isn't bad MPG, it's not brilliant, but its not bad. Check others with a standard 1.4 Engine, most are probably around that.

I recommend getting on Fuelly, you can see your true MPG on there - it's actually usually lower than the trip computer, but for all we know it could be a computational issue thats displaying low MPG!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do use cruise control on the motorway. i get about 39 mpg on my motorway trips but when i compare some of the other cars on fuelly, they are getting high 40s-50s

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
05SMCGINTY said:
i do use cruise control on the motorway. i get about 39 mpg on my motorway trips but when i compare some of the other cars on fuelly, they are getting high 40s-50s
Are your motorways hilly or do they have inclines for the majority of the journey?

I mean I get 37-44 mpg, but that is no motorway driving, just A roads and towns.

It's might be worth taking it to your dealer and getting them to check your emissions.

Also, as I said before, get on Fuelly and monitor it on there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah motorway journeys are relatively flat. The cars going in the garage on wednesday as i think i think i have a snycromesh problem

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd imagine to get around 40, all the figures stated are in "best case" scenarios to the extreme, where conditions are perfect on a road with no bumps (i.e. testing grounds) which are ridiculously hard to achieve.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Matthew said:
I'd imagine to get around 40, all the figures stated are in "best case" scenarios to the extreme, where conditions are perfect on a road with no bumps (i.e. testing grounds) which are ridiculously hard to achieve.
Nonsense! :)

On a flat motorway at a steady 65mph my 1.4T gets 55-60mpg, at a slightly lower speed of 60mph it gets 66mpg which is exactly what the government states for its extra urban figure. On very short sub 3 mile trips on a cold engine mine gets 46-48mpg. Even fully loaded with 4 people om board and driven 50% town/50% rural roads it gets 52mpg.

All those mpg figures are actual not the trip readings which are 6% higher than actual on my car.

Other people with the 1.4na are getting similar figures to my 1.4T, a little worse at higher speeds and a little better at lower speeds due to gearing differences.

It is not difficult at all to match or even beat the official figures on these engines.

This doesn't just apply to the Corsa either, I've matched or beaten official figures in all my cars and trucks. As have many of my friends and work colleagues.

People who can't get close to the government figures are either bad drivers or are thrashing their cars.

If the OP is doing a mix of 65% motorway/35% town they should be getting an average closer to 50mpg as that is almost identical to the use my Corsa gets. (70% motorway/A road, 30% town)

There may be a fault with the engine but in my experience most of the general public are incapable of driving economically. Far too easy to blame the car or the government instead of looking closely at themselves.

If you need to brake (other than approaching a junction or emergency) then you are probably driving too fast and wasting fuel. Every time you touch the brakes you are wasting energy in the form of heat, that energy cost you petrol to get upto that speed.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Oh and that is not an insult, it is fact! The majority of people do not have any formal driver training for economy and most people haven't driven large heavy underpowered vehicles that teach you how to judge gearing and speeds properly.

I used to do 30-50K miles a year in large 4x4's with an annual personal fuel bill of upto £10K - for me there was a very large incentive to drive economically because averaging 34mpg instead of 26mpg would save me £3K+ a year!!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The mpg reading is the best thing to help improve your driving I think! I never really took much notice before I got my current car as it's the first one that I've ever had the trip computer in with mpg readings. It becomes addictive - trying to drive so that it affects the mpg reading becomes a habit after a while. Weather conditions can also play a part - this past few days I have been getting readings around 10mpg lower than the same journey on a dry, calm and sunny day. We have had strong winds and torrential rain down here this week!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yep, using heaters, wipers and lights all use electric which puts extra load on alternator which uses extra fuel as the engine struggles to turn the loaded alternator. Hence the reason I don't have any auto lights or auto wipers or anything else 'auto' for that matter. They cost you fuel.

I manually turn my lights on only when conditions absolutely need them and I set my wipers to the lowest intermittent speed I can get away with safely and I wind the windows down a little to keep them de-misted rather than using heater. In heavy rain I will go slower on the inside lane in the dry 'ruts' left in the wet road surface by HGV's rather than drive on the wetter outside lanes etc etc. All these little things add up and can gain a few extra mpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased a new 1.4 Corsa Sting Ecoflex, I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions I have?

1. Most of my friends who have similar models with an Ecoflex engine have an Eco button below the City, should mine also have this button?

2. I am trying to get to grips with the headup display, currently all I can get it to say is Miles done, how or can I get it to tell me my MPH / MPG?

Sorry very new to Cosras!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Sting models don't have the mpg reading. Also the eco button is for the start/stop system but not all engines have that function.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, the eco button lights up red when starting the car because it defaults to have start/stop enabled. To disable S/S you press the eco button. However I have had no issues with my s/s so leave it on all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts