Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone's going to have to explain this to me, is the 1.4 n/a slow? I know its not a quick car by any means, a 1.4 naturally aspirated petrol is never going to be, but I thought it wouldve been able to keep up with similar cars.

I pulled up alongside a new 15 plate VXR at a set of traffic lights and for a laugh I caned it off the lights and the VXR mauled me, at the next set of lights the driver was laughing so I put my window down and he said "werent expecting that were you, this is a VXR mate" to which I replied that I knew that but for a laugh I just wanted to see how badly the 1.4 faired. He just laughed and said fair enough.

Anyway it got me wondering how it faired against similar cars, got easily beaten off a set of lights thereafter by a 63 plate Astra J 1.6 n/a petrol SRi 5 door, which granted has 25bhp more but is a far heavier bigger car and from driving them regularly at work they are slow.

Next up, approaching another set of lights, 3 lanes, one to turn right, other 2 straight ahead, there was a learner in a Seat Ibiza waiting in the inside lane so me and the car in front as we approached moved into the middle (outside straight on lane) as I slowed to about 10mph in 2nd gear the lights changed so I simply put my foot back on the accelerator and kept momentum, as did the car infront, early on I senses he was going to floor it so I did too, anyway he kept pulling further away from me all the way to 60mph when he had to slow, and I was trying hard, the car? A bloody Ford Fusion. I've just reg checked it and its a 1.6 n/a petrol auto!

So is the 1.4 n/a Corsa slower than them or is it error on my part, not flooring it enough, changing up too early, changing up too late, not revving high enough, bear in mind this was an LE with sports chassis as well not my comfort chassis SRi. I have to be honest in the past I've got too caught up and forgot to change gear and just kept going in the same year and that's what's hampered me but I was changing up at 3-3500rpm all the time tonight.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've got the 1.4 T LE and I had a fiat brava next to me at the lights today so I switched off eco and floored it and the fiat left me for dead to say I was pissed off was an understatement it was the same when I came up against a very basic looking seat ibiza and same story again

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
skyblue1969 said:
I've got the 1.4 T LE and I had a fiat brava next to me at the lights today so I switched off eco and floored it and the fiat left me for dead to say I was pissed off was an understatement it was the same when I came up against a very basic looking seat ibiza and same story again
Being honest if it was anything other than 1.4 n/a Fiat Bravo I wouldn't be too disappointed, they are rare as well, even on the base models the 1.4 120bhp Turbo was usually fitted when I worked at Fiat, the other engines were a 1.4 150bhp Turbo, and the JTD Multijet diesel and the 2.0 CDTi 165bhp same as fitted to Astras and Insignias, the Ibiza couldve been a 1.2 TSi, 1.4 TSi or a 1.6 CR TDi. If it was any of them the Corsa wouldn't win. If it was the 1.2 12v, 1.4 n/a or 1.2 TDi 3 pot I'd be pissed off too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
From my experience with the 1.4na you will need to floor it to make any impression at the lights, I feel my 1.7dti astra accelerates better, but maybe that's just my impression.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've got the 1.4na and yes it is anything but fast. If I wanted. Fast, hot hatch then the corsa would not even feature on a short list. My sister has an Ibiza fr which also has as 1.4 engine and would leave the vxr for dead. If you want a fast car you don't want the corsa. If you want a car that has lots of tech at a cheap price then the corsa wins every time. I also have a 2000 plate 1.4 polo and that feels and is faster than the corsa even with 20 less bhp. But again I don't care.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The trick is in surprise. Approach the lights slowly wearing a cloth cap and glasses. Then floor the automatic and watch them drop back on every gear change! Gets them every time. Torque converters do just that. I'm pleased with acceleration of both my 1.4 na corsas.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Klesmy said:
I've got the 1.4na and yes it is anything but fast. If I wanted. Fast, hot hatch then the corsa would not even feature on a short list. My sister has an Ibiza fr which also has as 1.4 engine and would leave the vxr for dead. If you want a fast car you don't want the corsa. If you want a car that has lots of tech at a cheap price then the corsa wins every time. I also have a 2000 plate 1.4 polo and that feels and is faster than the corsa even with 20 less bhp. But again I don't care.
Does the FR have the 1.4tsi engine? My Ibiza (1.2tsi) felt like a rocket after my 1.2 slow Corsa D, lol!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My 1.4T is pretty quick but at the end of the day it is not set up for 0-60 racing, it is designed for relaxed cruising and returning great economy. Many other cars including the VXR are quicker but they are also 5-10K more expensive and in most cases get cr*p fuel economy, certainly no match for my 1.4T which is the most economical petrol car I've ever driven and better than anything I tested before purchase or have driven on the works fleet.

Are you sure the 1.4na is not just tuned for economy instead? Narrow power band but with good mid range torque?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Klesmy said:
I agree mate, my point was more that I wouldve expected it to be quicker than 1.6 n/a petrol Astra and a Ford Fusion 1.6 n/a petrol automatic. Hence why I was asking is the E 1.4 n/a really that slow it can't beat other slow cars or should it be quicker than them and its driver error on my part that's made them be able to beat me?

If there's one thing which annoys me really badly it's people going down an empty lane that they aren't actually supposed to be in (left turn lane when they want to go straight on for example) at a red light and beating someone off the lights and then pulling across instead of just waiting in the line of traffic for the straight on lane, so it annoys me I can't beat them off the lights to stop them cutting in infront of me after me patiently waiting my turn in the correct lane.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
Klesmy said:
I agree mate, my point was more that I wouldve expected it to be quicker than 1.6 n/a petrol Astra and a Ford Fusion 1.6 n/a petrol automatic. Hence why I was asking is the E 1.4 n/a really that slow it can't beat other slow cars or should it be quicker than them and its driver error on my part that's made them be able to beat me?

If there's one thing which annoys me really badly it's people going down an empty lane that they aren't actually supposed to be in (left turn lane when they want to go straight on for example) at a red light and beating someone off the lights and then pulling across instead of just waiting in the line of traffic for the straight on lane, so it annoys me I can't beat them off the lights to stop them cutting in infront of me after me patiently waiting my turn in the correct lane.
Obviously driver skill/error comes into it too, but the only way you can test that truly is by going against another 1.4na with the same stats.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Remember that the Corsa is a heavy car, about 100-150Kg heavier than the Fiesta for most Trims of Corsa. The 5 door 5 speed E's being the heaviest of all. That is the equivalent of carrying one or even two extra people in the car! Of course it will be slower off the line. As I've commented before, even the VXR is slow for the power it has (7 second 0-60 in a small car with 200hp) but then it weighs something like 1300Kg - virtually the same weight as my Land Rover which most people would look at and think is a heavy tank of a vehicle!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mud4fun said:
Remember that the Corsa is a heavy car, about 100-150Kg heavier than the Fiesta for most Trims of Corsa. The 5 door 5 speed E's being the heaviest of all. That is the equivalent of carrying one or even two extra people in the car! Of course it will be slower off the line. As I've commented before, even the VXR is slow for the power it has (7 second 0-60 in a small car with 200hp) but then it weighs something like 1300Kg - virtually the same weight as my Land Rover which most people would look at and think is a heavy tank of a vehicle!
I agree with everything you've said, but I'm not comparing it to a fast car, we're talking about a 1.6 Astra, which is going to be heavier than the Corsa, doesnt have much more power (90ps in the Corsa - not sure what that is in Hp Vs 115bhp in the Astra) And is sluggish, you'd think the Corsa would be quicker. Same with the Ford Fusion, 1.6 so about 100-110 bhp, I'd imagine it's be heavier as it's basically a Mk6 Fiesta with a bigger boxy body. And it's automatic, which will/should make it slower than the manual equivalent.

Liverpaul - you say your car is slower than the Fiesta "range" but I'd be expecting it to be quicker than the 1.0 Ecoboost, 1.25 60 and 82 bhp versions, the 1.4 n/a, and possibly also the 1.4 Tdci, I reckon the only Fiestas which will/should be quicker than a 1.4 T Corsa are the 1.5 and 1.6 Tdci, the St (what is that, 1.6 Ecoboost?) and possibly the 1.6 TI-VCT n/a engine found in older 2008 -2012 Zetec S models with about 120bhp.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Nah, the Corsa is way heavier than most comparable vehicles. Also the engines power and torque delivery is mainly economy based. My 1.4T gets an actual 70-75mpg on the motorway. I'd like to see a VW or even VXR get anywhere close to the that. VW trips are notoriously Inaccurate and most read 10% higher than actual, some are 20% out. I bought my car based on low running costs. The Corsa in my opinion meets that objective, most of the competition doesn't. If you want fast 0-60 then buy a Ford or VW, if you want good economy buy a VX!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mud4fun said:
Nah, the Corsa is way heavier than most comparable vehicles. Also the engines power and torque delivery is mainly economy based. My 1.4T gets an actual 70-75mpg on the motorway. I'd like to see a VW or even VXR get anywhere close to the that. VW trips are notoriously Inaccurate and most read 10% higher than actual, some are 20% out. I bought my car based on low running costs. The Corsa in my opinion meets that objective, most of the competition doesn't. If you want fast 0-60 then buy a Ford or VW, if you want good economy buy a VX!
To be honest, I bought 1.4 n/a because I thought it would be a mix of low running costs and adequate performance. I didn't want the 1.2 as I felt it would be underpowered, the diesels were a bit pointless as any savings over 1.4 n/a in running costs would never work out more than the extra purchase cost of the diesel with the mileage I was doing, and I didn't feel I would need the extra performance of the Turbo 1.4. Actually I got conned, the salesman was giving it the whole the Turbo is £x amount more to buy but only has 10ps more than the non Turbo so theres not going to be much in it, which obviously is a lie, but I didn't really check at the time, I was happy with the quoted power and mpg figures for the n/a as well as the £30 tax (which was another lie, he said the 1.4 T was £110 to tax, which it is if you have 17" wheels but a 1.4 T on 16" s is still £30)

But anyway yeah I bought it for the mix, I certainly thought it'd be quicker than a thirsty, slow underpowered, heavy 1.6 n/a petrol Astra.

EDIT: just looked at PDF spec guides for the Astra J and Corsa E, the Astra 1.6 official 0-60 figure is 10.9 seconds, Corsa 1.4 n/a is 13.2, I'm amazed by that, that's a huge difference, and certainly having driven both the Corsa feels quicker!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
i also have to 1.4 na which I'm very happy with great town car which it is mostly used for and when needed great on the motorway. one thing i have noticed that at 70ish MPH i have been overtaken by a fiat 500, not sure if they would have been really thrashing it or going at 80mph + quite comfortably

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anthony said:
i also have to 1.4 na which I'm very happy with great town car which it is mostly used for and when needed great on the motorway. one thing i have noticed that at 70ish MPH i have been overtaken by a fiat 500, not sure if they would have been really thrashing it or going at 80mph + quite comfortably
If it was a Fiat 500 and not an Abarth 500 then it will definitely be being thrashed to reach that speed because they are all slow, the 0.9 Twinair, 1.2 and 1.4 petrols. They are set up for town/urban driving.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
hendry said:
anthony said:
If it was a Fiat 500 and not an Abarth 500 then it will definitely be being thrashed to reach that speed because they are all slow, the 0.9 Twinair, 1.2 and 1.4 petrols. They are set up for town/urban driving.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
hendry said:
anthony said:
just a standard 500

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting one this.

I opted for the 1.2 - I drove the 1.4 n/a, and maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't feel much in it!

I find the 1.2 nippy in traffic, not so nippy when being floored over 75. Saying that, it cruises well, and it's certainly got a nice feel to it - on the motorway, there's no excess noise or anything - something my old Hyundai was terrible for. It's no rocket, but if I'm honest, it does still pull - a bit - at 75/80. Some years ago, I owned a Renault Clio 1.5 dci - and that had no puff over 60!

The issue is that the Corsa is, without a doubt, the best 'small' car that I've ever owned or driven. But a bit more pull would be nice!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts