Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new corsa e and cannot decide what engine to buy, was wondering if any of you guys had an idea of which engine is best to go for.

i am favoring more towards the 1.4l turbo over the 1.0lt as i hear when remapped it is the much better engine, if anyone has any suggestions then let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got told by the dealer, - I enquired when ordering the car and he said the 1l is a good engine but for the sake of 2k unless you've got the cash it's not worth it. It's personal choice, try driving the 1L and 1.4T, I tried the normal 1.4 and found it quite sharp but personal choice is what it's all about.

Like stated, when 'remapped' the 1.4 has more to give than a 1L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, thanks for the reply. i test drove the 1.4t yesterday and found it very fast compared to my little 1.0l corsa c. i will probably get the the 1.4t as fuel economy is roughly the same on both engines anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you'll find the 1.4t will deliver more at lower revs than the 1.0t and give excellent mpg while fully loaded still give good performance over the 1.0t

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I tried the 1.4T again today. It is really fast right from 1st gear. I felt it needed holding back almost. Not tried the 1.0T though.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Having driven both (with 6 speed box) my thoughts are:
(admittedly only about 30 miles in a 1.0T but 7K miles in a 1.4T but I'll try to be unbiased)

Both 1.0T or 1.4T, like most turbo petrol engines, are gutless below 1500rpm. They don't deliver power/torque progressively from 1000rpm like a large capacity normally aspirated does.

However 1.4T has 30% more torque at 1800rpm than 1.0T which means it can pull higher gears at medium revs even when fully laden which can give better real world mpg especially in motorway cruising and especially when carrying whole family.

1.4T also has more power and torque than 1.0T between 1800-3500rpm which is the most common rev range for driving.

1.0T has more peak power (115PS) at 5000rpm simply because 1.0T is the high output version whereas the 1.4T 100PS is the low output version which has an economy map. Given an equivalent high output map the 1.4T would deliver 150PS at that same 5000rpm. But really, in normal driving how often do you actually rev to 5K rpm? not often if you want your engine to last!

1.4T in 100PS form is also gutless over 3750rpm due to a restriction in the fuelling map. This means that while the 1.4T has far greater power and torque than the 1.0T in the mid rev range it has a very narrow power band (like a diesel) and requires far more appropriate gear selection and earlier change ups than the 1.0T.

1.0T revs more freely, is more refined and delivers power progressively from 1800rpm right upto 5000rpm which means you can remain in gear longer before changing up.

Both engines capable of 65-70mpg actual in perfect conditions on motorway but easier to achieve in 1.4T as extra torque overcomes weight penalty of passengers, hills, headwinds etc.

1.0T warms up faster and should give better mpg over very short (sub 5 mile) journey.

1.4T takes longer to warm up and gives its best mpg at higher speeds on longer journeys. You'll struggle to get better than 46mpg out of 1.4T around town or in short trips.

The narrow power band of the 1.4T makes it a more open road/cruising engine. It will sit at 70mph in 6th at 2000rpm and get 60+mpg Even at 80mph it will still get 50+mpg. If you don't mind gear changing then a 1.4T can be very quick on twisty rural roads but 1.0T probably is faster due to less gear changes needed and more tolerant rev band for each gear.

1.0T quicker 0-60 simply because it needs one less gear change than 1.4T due to the rev limit of the fuelling map on the 1.4T. A well driven 1.4T will match or even beat the 1.0T 0-60 official time if you practise your gear changes and timings. My best so far is 9.5 seconds (not completely thrashed, it will go quicker but at risk to engine or box). However a well driven 1.0T will do even better!

1.4T also has such high torque in such a narrow band that on very wet greasy roads or on ice it can easily spin the wheels up while changing gear (my 1.4T managed to spin wheels even in 3rd while changing gear at 40-50mph on a wet road going up hill) whereas the 1.0T delivers its torque more gently over a wider rev range so is more forgiving.

1.4T also suffers from bad torque steer if you floor it hard in lower gears. I didn't notice that issue in the 1.0T i drove.

I find the 1.4T does not like to go slow and combined with an odd set of ratios in the 6 speed box means in 30mph limit you are constantly having to check your speed and reign the car in because 3rd is too low for 30mph but 4th means the 1.4T's high torque allows it to accelerate the car with barely a touch on the loud pedal.

1.4T ultimately more capable of high power from remaps, factory even offer 150PS option anyway so you know you'll get really reliable engine even mapped to 150PS, same can't be said of 1.0T as the highest factory output is the 115PS AFAIK. 1.4T probably capable of running 10% higher than 150PS reasonably reliably as it will be within design tolerance of engine so 165PS.

I've yet to do enough miles to comment about reliability but larger unstressed 1.4T should on paper last far longer than smaller higher stressed 1.0T engine which means lower repair bills once engine gets to a higher mileage.

In summary: 1.0T ideal for somebody that does most local driving, short trips or likes a revvy engine, 1.4T ideal for somebody who does alot of motorway, likes the effortless diesel like torque in the mid rev range and doesn't like to red line their engines.

They are both excellent engines but in my opinion 1.0T is not worth extra money as not much difference in real world mpg and 1.0T £700 more than 1.4T despite only saving you £70 on VED a year.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
As I understand it, the 1.4T on LE and SRi VX Line costs £110 per year tax due to the wider tyres and body kit, whereas the 1.4T in an Excite, or any of the other 'comfort chassis' trims costs £30 per year tax.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LeachiE said:
As I understand it, the 1.4T on LE and SRi VX Line costs £110 per year tax due to the wider tyres and body kit, whereas the 1.4T in an Excite, or any of the other 'comfort chassis' trims costs £30 per year tax.
LOL, that makes it worse, so you are spending £700 more for no saving! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for that very comprehensive, and therefore very useful comparison. I have just bought the 1.0T primarily because a) it will be used for a lot of short 'around town' journeys and b) because they had what I wanted in stock, it was actually cheaper than ordering a 1.4T.

What I'm interested to find out is what the gear ratios of the 6 speed box are. Any ideas where I can find this info?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here are the gearbox ratios for the Corsa E 1.0 Sidi 90 HP (B10XFL) 6 speed manual gearbox (M22MFX).
Final ratio: 3.563 /1
1: 3.917 /1
2: 2.080 /1
3: 1.355 /1
4: 1.050 /1
5: 0.844 /1
6: 0.698 /1
Reverse: 3.833 /1
And for the Corsa E Sidi 115 HP 6 speed manual gearbox.
Final ratio: 3,88/1
1: 3.917/1
2: 2.29/1
3: 1.56/1
4: 1.17/1
5: 0.93/1
6: 0.76/1
Reverse: 3.833/1
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I went for the 1.4T over the 1.0T for the following reasons:

1. Better spread of torque at low/mid revs will make it feel quicker even though it might not be and will cruise better on the motorway.
2. Long term reliability questions of these new 1.0T 3 cylinder turbo charged engines. I plan to keep the car 5-10 years so for me it's a concern.
3. MPG and other running costs between the two isn't really that dissimilar.
4. The 1.4T can remap to 145-150bhp and since these engines run 148bhp on the Red/Black editions you know it can cope with the power. I'm not sure I'd want to push the 1.0T much further as it's already quite highly strung to make the power it does. Something I'll be wanting to do once the warranty runs out.

Those are my reasons, I'm sure people who have the 1.0T over the 1.4T will have equally valid reasons for their choice based on their circumstances. Each have their pro's and con's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello.
Here are the gear ratios for the M32MZ0 gearbox for the Corsa E equipped with the 1.4 Turbo (B14NEJ) 100 ps engine.
Final ratio (diferencial): 3.348/1
1st: 3.818/1
2nd: 2.158/1
3rd: 1.475/1
4th: 1.067/1
5th: 0.875/1
6th: 0.744/1
Reverse: 3.545/1
With this information and the tire size, one can determine the speed at 1000 rpm.
I use this site"http://www.boosttown.com/gearbox_differential/speed_calculator.php" for that purpose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts