Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 1.4T engine is one that is highly debated with the Corsa E. People favoring the 1L Turbo thinking it's the faster alternative however as mentioned in another thread on the forum that simply isn't the case.

Today I had my Corsa E 1.4T Limited Edition in at The Performance Centre in Sunderland and we were collecting data/statistics about the engine before we start tuning and mapping it here is the vehicle as standard:

As you can see the engine is producing over 99BHP to the axle we recorded the highest BHP as 107 STANDARD. But this graph outlines easily the potential the engine has, as you can see both torque and power completely stop at 4,000RPM, this is the engines electronic limiter/economy map that these models are being sold with. I am working with the performance centre and we are initially starting with a Stage 1 remap on Monday and we are expecting to see around 165+bhp at stage 1. We will then be moving on to stage two later that week.

I will be posting updates, videos, and data as we progress through the tuning and keeping everyone updated with our tuning progress but this ultimately proves how limited vauxhall has made the 1.4T engine in order to push sales of the 1L turbo lump!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
liverpaul said:
Purely to compete with ford's 1l ecoboost which is more solid and better.
:?: :?: :?:

I have to disagree with you on that one liverpaul. The ford 1.0T is dire!!! I drove one for a few thousand miles and it barely got 50-60% of its claimed mpg!!! It liked to rev, makes lots of noise, sounded like you were going fast but in reality it was dismal compared to the 1.4T Vauxhall engine. It was one of the major reasons I would not touch a Fiesta. If you like your engine to scream in order to get any power then fair enough but it was far from a relaxing drive for high mileages. Then again I thought the 1.0T Corsa engine was not that much better and had no real tuning potential that would still leave a drivable car. To get torque at low rpm's which is what you need to make a good drivable car is not really possible with very small capacity engines. They have to rev high to get the torque.

There is no substitute for cubic capacity. :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
cmartino, great information and pretty much confirms exactly my thoughts and findings too. :cool:

The 1.4T is a pretty impressive engine even in de-tuned state and it can certainly provide far more than VX have offered us in ours. Lets face it they offer it in 150PS tune in Germany so even in factory form with good reliability it can go way beyond our 100PS map.

Having said that I do notice that the power and torque of the 100PS map is not that much less than the 150PS map at 1800-3500rpm so in real world driving the extra power at very high rpm is not really missed.

I very rarely go over 4K rpm and I don't need to as the 1.4T delivers great torque in the mid rpm range which makes for very relaxed cruising and as long as you are good at timing your gearchanges it makes it pretty damn quick for overtaking too on A roads. However it would be nice to be able to hold onto a lower gear for longer occasionally when overtaking. Having to change up to drop back into the power band loses momentum, especially when overtaking an HGV up a hill.... ;-)

I don't think even the 205PS 1.6 VXR produces much more torque at 3500rpm either? Yes it has a peak 280NM but that is at a sky high 5800rpm? I'm sure it only produces about 25% more torque than our engine between 1800-3500 despite having double the peak power output?

I look forward with great interest to your progress with this. I'm planning on doing mine next year.

Regards,

Ian

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Great work. I like the way you have got loads of torque in the mid range. You've also not lost any power at lower rpm. It looks like a very good map :)

G

·
Very good map, max torque below 4000 revs and a nice gradual down curve. Still allows for sensible gear changes in the high midrange.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.theperformancecentre.co.uk/

That's their website and I can highly recommend if anyone's tempted and if you're still not convinced ask them to ring me and I'll let them borrow my car as proof I'm that amazed by the results! On the way back from the map centre (and don't ask how I done it) but I managed to beat a VXR Astra doing 131mph

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would stay well away from regal I've heard too many horror story's about melting Pistons etc, I'm yet to hear a good review for regal

G

·
do you mind if I ask how much this cost ? have you had to tell your insurance co ,and does it mess up the Vauxhall warranty ? cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
stephenb1973 said:
do you mind if I ask how much this cost ? have you had to tell your insurance co ,and does it mess up the Vauxhall warranty ? cheers
Regards to VH warranty yes it would void it but with the respect to engine mapping I dont believe you have to inform insurance as your not adding or changing parts its still the same engine.

imagine how many cars are resolt mapped to unknowing people not exacly something you can police ;)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Cypherix said:
but with the respect to engine mapping I dont believe you have to inform insurance as your not adding or changing parts its still the same engine.
Wrong!

You must inform your insurance as your engine will now be significantly more powerful and thus a much higher risk of being involved in a crash. If you do crash and the vehicle is inspected and found to be mapped (and it is not declared) the insurance will be invalid. Not only will you lose your pride and joy BUT you may also be prosecuted for driving without insurance. This would then leave you paying sky high insurance premiums for a very long time! Not informing the insurance of even minor things can invalidate it but it WILL invalidate it if you have your engine mapped as that is considered a major modification.

I have a friend who is now 40 years old and yet he still pays £2000 a year car insurance because he did a similarly stupid thing when he was in his 20's. The black mark remains with you for life and in the long run what you think you will save be not informing the insurance company could end up costing you many, many times more than the declared modification would.

My Land Rover is heavily modified including an engine with twice the horsepower of the original, suspension lift, braking system from a different model etc, etc. It took me nearly 30 minutes to list all the changes to the insurance company over the phone when getting a quote. However my insurance premium remained the same. It is always safer to inform them and if you have to pay a little extra then so be it. If you don't want to pay higher premiums then don't modify your car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The map costs £350 for the same one on my car and that's for a quality map, being cheap when it comes to engine maps will only result in a horror story.

In respect of the warranty, there's physically no way of them knowing without putting the car on the dyno and Vauxhall don't have access to those kind of resources. What normally catches people out is the date changes on the flash date of the ECU and that's how they can tell its mapped however they are smart about this and The Performance Centre ensure that the flash date matches that of the original rendering it untraceable, even with dealer specific tools such as as tis2web, tec2/3 and all other variants.

Since mapping I've had the car in a few times and they cannot tell (it's been diagnostic work too) so no worries about the warranty yes you can still get away with that.

With regards to insurance I would advise you declare it or you'll be buggered in an accident (I've been told they can't find a map on the ECU at stage 1 due to the nature of how these are mapped but don't want to test the theory).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Where are these places to get the car mapped then? I'm really interested in getting my power bumped up to a more juicy 150bhp. I'd 100% notify my insurance and if you say Vauxhall can't notice this when checking or servicing the vehicle then I'm all ears!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure where you live but I would advise you if it's possible to take it to these guys because they know exactly how to make it untraceable so you can keep your warranty :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mud4fun you say im wrong and ethically yes I am but in principle an insurare isnt going to put the thing on a dyno to see if its been mapped before they pay out. Most claims are cosmetic and if its that bad usually undrivable for them to test anyways.

and like I said b4 how many second hand remapped viecles do you think are on ths road without the new buyer knowing this?

Also cmartino every map is traceable no such thing as an undectable map as it leaves cache files and data dumps behind "we" cant see.

But everyone does what they want to do right?

No arugments :p at the end of the day there's a risk of voiding warranty/insurance or increasing premiums when mapping a car its up to the person to way them up for themselves

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Cypherix, you made an innacurate statement. There could be many people reading this thread who are tempted to have the remap done and they need to be aware of the consequences. I was simply clarifying it :)

It isn't just ethically wrong though, it is breaking the law by driving with invalid insurance if you have undeclared mods. If people choose to do so then that is up to them but I'm just asking that we don't mislead people on such a serious issue. There may be many people joining this forum who have just got their first car and are not fully aware of the laws etc, we don't want them to get into trouble. Also I'm sure cmartinos remap thread will be keenly viewed too!

You are however completely correct with regards second hand cars :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're intelligent about that trust me the dealership cannot detect it that I'm sure off and we appear to have found an electronic limiter on the car it maxes out at 126mph (200km/h) so we are working on removing that before stage 2 begins.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.