Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm on the verge of purchasing a new 5 door Corsa.

Still undecided on what to get, Limited Edition with the winter pack added on or the SE so I can have the part faux leather seats? However with the SE the engine I want isn't available, Im really keen on the 1l turbo with the 6 speed gearbox.

But am I making the right decision overall or should I wait for the new Astra to come out in November?

It's just me, my partner, and a newborn baby. Most of the journeys we do on a daily basis are just trips into the next town 10 miles away, or little trips out to the coast 30 miles away. I do love road trips though, and when the schedule permits I love to go on a big 200 mile drive and stay over somewhere overnight. I'd also love to drive from where I live in the UK into Europe and explore France in my own car. I know the Corsa isn't the most appropriate vehicle for exploring the continent but it'd be daft for me to purchase a Mercedes E Class just for the odd occasion every couple of years when I want to do a long drive abroad.

Would love to hear what people's thoughts are on their new Corsa E,s, and if any of yours have done any long drives and how you've found it to be. To be fair to the car, I wouldn't drive 4 hours without a break and a little stretch at a service station, but are the seats at least bareable?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I find the seats in my excite very comfortable, to the point that I dont even think about them.

The 1.4T engine is a great engine too, and is cheaper than the 1 litre. Might be worth figuring out how long it would take you to recoupe the extra cost of the 1.0 litre - that could sway your decision on the trim.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
For longer trips, especially motorways and fast A roads it is a no brainer - the 1.4T, it has far higher torque than the 1.0T and at much lower rpm too which means it is a very relaxed cruiser and provides effortless speed and overtaking. I've done 5.5K miles in mine in 2 months, mostly motorway and A road.

I did test drive a 1.0T and found it gutless at the lower rpm range I tend to use in my day to day driving.

The 1.4T delivers as good if not better mpg to the 1.0T once out on the open road at speed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest I hadn't really considered the 1.4T but it's now got me thinking... The 1lt appears to be the most powerful on paper with higher horse power but I've often found that sometimes lower horsepower engines still feel more nippy. For example, the 1.2 90hp engine in the polo seems faster than the 1l 125hp engine in the fiesta.... Don't understand mechanics but I've always wondered why

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've been trying to decide since I test drove in February! :lol: I can only get everything I am after in an SE, but like you say, it doesn't have the 1.0T engine. I was all set to go with the Excite until I realised it doesn't have heated mirrors! Then I decided SRi with winter pack, but no, I think I want to try the comfort chassis of an Excite or SE first! I have driven both the 1.4n/a and 1.4T engines. The latter was really fast! Shot right out of the dealership! :lol: Also, my current car is a 1.2TSi Ibiza and I still love the engine to bits, just want/need a heated steering wheel and seats now! Before the Ibiza I had a 1.2 Corsa D that felt really sluggish, so the Ibiza is like a rocket ship in comparison! Before I finally decide what trim level to go for I will definitely test drive the 1.4T again along with the 1.0T but in an Adam as it's the only car the dealer has with that engine in.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
jamescmartin13 said:
To be honest I hadn't really considered the 1.4T but it's now got me thinking... The 1lt appears to be the most powerful on paper with higher horse power but I've often found that sometimes lower horsepower engines still feel more nippy. For example, the 1.2 90hp engine in the polo seems faster than the 1l 125hp engine in the fiesta.... Don't understand mechanics but I've always wondered why
The 1.4T is 20-25% more powerful than the 1.0T upto 4K rpm and has 20% more torque at 1800rpm. Take a close look at the rpm that those published PS figures were taken at. The 1.4T has an economy map that restricts fuelling above 4K whereas the 1.0T fuels upto 5750rpm hence its higher peak power. Fact is that in 99.99% of driving you won't be exceeding 4K rpm so actually for 99.99% of the time the 1.4T is actually the more powerful engine.

However I've looked at all the trip screen shots submitted by everybody and I see a pattern.

If your whole tank average speed is less than 40mph then the 1.0T delivers the best economy.

If your whole tank average speed is over 40mph (mine is typically 53mph) the 1.4T returns the better mpg.

This is probably because above 50mph wind resistance really starts to have an effect. A 1.0T hauling the Corsa at 60mph in 6th at 1800rpm is going to be working harder to overcome the wind resistance than the 1.4T with its much higher torque at 1800rpm. The result is the bigger engine gets better mpg.

Same is true for acceleration, to haul a 1300Kg car away from the lights requires lots of torque. The 1.4T doesn't need to work as hard to generate that torque, the 1.0T has to be screamed. The result is a far shorter engine life and worse mpg from the smaller engine.

Pay little attention to the published mpg and performance figures. They are done in lab conditions and have also been fiddled to make the new 1.0T engine appear to be better than it is. VX have overstated the 0-60 time of the 1.4T for some reason because I have regularly got sub 10 seconds in my 1.4T when VX state something like 11+? I have also regularly beaten the official extra urban. I sincerely doubt there is any noticeable difference in real world 0-60 times between either engine. The 1.4T will possibly require one extra gear change which may explain the official times but in real world it would come down to the better driver.

The 1.0T does have some advantages, it is quieter, smooth and should warm up faster than the 1.4T so should (and does) give better mpg on very short trips. The 1.0T has lower co2. The 1.4T in the LE costs me £110 a year in VED.

If most of your driving is short trips and local driving then the 1.0T is probably the better choice but be warned that there is such a small difference in mpg figures in real world use that it would be difficult to justify the extra cost if it is purely for its higher claimed mpg.

The biggest difference between the LE which I have and SE is the sports chassis. I find it transformed the ride and handling of the car. The comfort chassis on the SE is lovely but doesn't like being pushed. The sports chassis on the LE feels safer when being pushed hard on winding country roads. It is also more than comfortable enough.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The 1.4T engine in the Excite and SE trims are £30 per year tax - the LE has larger 17" wheels like the SRi VX-line, whereas the Excite, SE and SRi (amongst others) have the smaller 16" wheels and lower tax.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah I don't mind, I deliberately ordered the 1.4T knowing that, better to pay £80 more in VED a year for the better engine and trim. :) (for me personally)

PS. It is the tyre width not rim diameter that causes the increase in VED. The 215/45R17 tyres have greater rolling resistance than the 195's on the 16" rims so add a few g of CO2.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
jamescmartin13 said:
What about the diesel? Even though it's less horsepower - would it pull away from a full stop much quicker?
I have not driven a diesel corsa but typically a diesel engine needs to be 30-40% larger capacity than a petrol engine to give the same performance. So I sincerely doubt the 1.3 turbo diesel could match the performance of a 1.4 turbo petrol

The diesel will be able to pull away with lower rpm but it isn't really a great issue to rev the petrol up to 1800rpm before pulling away quickly.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yeah I don't mind, I deliberately ordered the 1.4T knowing that, better to pay £80 more in VED a year for the better engine and trim. :) (for me personally)

PS. It is the tyre width not rim diameter that causes the increase in VED. The 215/45R17 tyres have greater rolling resistance than the 195's on the 16" rims so add a few g of CO2.
I was informed otherwise. The bigger diameter of the wheel causes more rolling resistance too.

I suspect it's both really. Wider wheels wwould also increase resistance like you say.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Huge increase in diameter can increase rolling resistance because tyre footprint gets longer but it won't make much difference in this case as the overall diameter of the tyres is the same!

Big change in diameter can also affect gearing which can either degrade or improve mpg depending on conditions.

The 215 tyres on 17" rims are lower profile to keep them at the same diameter as the 195's on the 16" rims with taller profile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.