Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nothing major, someone went into the back of me on a roundabout, I know the person that has done it and I'm sure we both want to avoid going down the insurance claims route (both 17/18 respectively). The damage is a slightly dented rear fender and some minor paint wok. Here's my dilemma.

Can I go via a different garage to have it repaired and have him pay the full amount without voiding any sort of warranty or agreement with the finance company / Arnold Clark (Vauxhall garage near my house)

Or do I have to go through them and equally have him pay for the damage.

Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd personally stick to the official garages or their recommended body shops - that way you don't void anything or risk voiding anything. Even if you lie and say you reversed into a pole so they know it's not claim related and point you in the right direction (then get them to pay it).

It may turn out to be more expensive than you'd think being honest but good luck - hopefully it's a wakeup call for them. In your defence, if it's proven not to be your fault at all then you're likely to get your excess back, rather than mutual fault.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Unless you know a bodyshop that does very good work at a cheaper cost, then stick to official garages/your dealer. To be honest, it's generally hard to find a good body shop that isn't part of a franchise or recommended by an official garage anyway.

Matthew said:
I'd personally stick to the official garages or their recommended body shops - that way you don't void anything or risk voiding anything. Even if you lie and say you reversed into a pole so they know it's not claim related and point you in the right direction (then get them to pay it).

It may turn out to be more expensive than you'd think being honest but good luck - hopefully it's a wakeup call for them. In your defence, if it's proven not to be your fault at all then you're likely to get your excess back, rather than mutual fault.
Unless there's a dash cam, or a witness to show otherwise, then the fault lies with the person who hit from behind. Always does.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it to the garage today and they have quoted £550 for a completely new rear bumper, my 'friend' is saying I've fucked him, he works part time and god knows how long it'll take him to fork up the money, I really want to avoid going through insurance because it would work out worse for both of us. I've given him the option to either accept and put it in writing that he will pay the full amount or we can just go insurance... If / when he tells his parents it will hit him that he needs to sort it out I suppose, he has 24 hours before myself / my dad goes around to his parents to obtain insurance details.

·
Registered
455 Posts
dstowe said:
Took it to the garage today and they have quoted £550 for a completely new rear bumper, my 'friend' is saying I've fucked him, he works part time and god knows how long it'll take him to fork up the money, I really want to avoid going through insurance because it would work out worse for both of us. I've given him the option to either accept and put it in writing that he will pay the full amount or we can just go insurance... If / when he tells his parents it will hit him that he needs to sort it out I suppose, he has 24 hours before myself / my dad goes around to his parents to obtain insurance details.
Your 'friend' is at fault, if he thinks you've "f------ him over" in a sense then he shouldn't be driving. If you can't pay the insurance premium that comes with crashing a car you shouldn't be on the road. Hence the reason when my insurance premium was like £750 I refused to let my bank balance dip below £700 in case something god-forbid did happen. He is at fault. Not you.

£550 is probably about right, that's the shame of having a new car, you can't just go to a garage and get some shoddy refurbished bumper for £40 and in essence it's probably cheaper to go through the insurance, I've witnessed a colleague crash into another colleague and they actually agreed to go through the insurance as it was actually cheaper than having to pay for both of their corsa's to go through outside of the insurance.

I'd honestly just visit and state what happened and how you want to take it forward, that you've given him a choice of whether to pay outside the insurance or go through it, that you want the best for the both of you and due to it being a new car and to avoid voiding the warranty you need it to go through the garage itself not some dodgy backstreet dealer. That's their options and they either pay one or the other is the way I'd do it

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
dstowe said:
Your friend is lucky that you are a friend.. He would have been taken to the cleaners if it were someone less forgiving - I.e. Claim injury along with the cost of the insurance.

It's worth noting that ALL insurance policies for those drivers 25 and under have a compulsory young person excess. For under 21s this is £400 (possibly £450).
So add that onto any excess you have on your policy anyway (unless your policy has actually clearly stated this as its excess, most of mine had it in small print.)

Chances are that it would cost just as much, if not more to claim via insurance. Many insurers make you pay your excess upfront, and then get the cost back from the other party's insurer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts