Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my air con doesn't seem to work when the fan setting is on full windscreen but works on all the other settings is this possible because I'm sure if it doesn't work on one setting it won't work on any

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
I've noticed that my air con doesn't seem to work when the fan setting is on full windscreen but works on all the other settings is this possible because I'm sure if it doesn't work on one setting it won't work on any
That's normal.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apart from keeping you cool I thought the point of air con was to clear the screen which it isn't doing

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
Apart from keeping you cool I thought the point of air con was to clear the screen which it isn't doing
No. Air con is not for clearing a windscreen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as I know ac is used to demist windscreens, on conventional ac (as I have on my astra) I set the flow selector to windscreen, switch on ac and turn the temp selector to warm...the idea is to vaporise the condensation and the ac will collect the humidity.
On our corsa we have a separate button for windscreen demisting which functions along with climate control...in short it does all the things mentioned above automatically.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
As far as I know ac is used to demist windscreens, on conventional ac (as I have on my astra) I set the flow selector to windscreen, switch on ac and turn the temp selector to warm...the idea is to vaporise the condensation and the ac will collect the humidity.
On our corsa we have a separate button for windscreen demisting which functions along with climate control...in short it does all the things mentioned above automatically.
AC may aid demisting, but that is not what it is intended for.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going through the fan settings you can hear the ac come on when you press the button but on full screen you can't hear it

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
Going through the fan settings you can hear the ac come on when you press the button but on full screen you can't hear it
As I said before, it isn't supposed to. I've not tested it personally, but plenty of others have mentioned it on here.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
could also switch on the screen heater button as all new Corsa now have a heater element in the front screen as well as the rear.

·
Registered
227 Posts
All corsa in the UK maybe, we don't have the front screen heater here - not that we'd need it anyway!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
Lol good one! And why not may I ask?

Read here, I'm not shooting ideas out of my mind ;)
http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/january-2013/how-to-demist-your-windscreen-in-double-quick-time
Yes, it aids demisting, but it is not an intended function.

Who knows why VX decided to stop AC when on full windscreen though.

ChrisB said:
All corsa in the UK maybe, we don't have the front screen heater here - not that we'd need it anyway!
Yea, I suspect it's all UK and mainland corsas, the hotter islands probably don't have it, because as you say, why would they need it?!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yea, I suspect it's all UK and mainland corsas, the hotter islands probably don't have it, because as you say, why would they need it?!
Right, why would we need heated windscreens if they never get frosted? ;)
The temp never ever goes below freezing here, what we do have is a lot of humidity and dew in the morning, and that's where the demisting function comes in handy.

I have to disagree with you Limey, AC is a function for demisting, just as much as it is for cooling and drying the air inside the cabin. So much so that even Vauxhall states this in their owner's manual for the Corsa. If you have a look at Pg123 under the section Air Distribution, it says that AC is activated in the background to help prevent the windows from fogging.

Now why VX decided to stop AC only when on full windscreen I don't know, could be a fault or could be something technical ie intended, what's sure is that AC is on during demisting and it's something intended by the manufacturer. On mine bec it's equipped with CC, AC and fan speed comes on automatically when demist button is selected.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ChrisB said:
Right, why would we need heated windscreens if they never get frosted? ;)
The temp never ever goes below freezing here, what we do have is a lot of humidity and dew in the morning, and that's where the demisting function comes in handy.

I have to disagree with you Limey, AC is a function for demisting, just as much as it is for cooling and drying the air inside the cabin. So much so that even Vauxhall states this in their owner's manual for the Corsa. If you have a look at Pg123 under the section Air Distribution, it says that AC is activated in the background to help prevent the windows from fogging.

Now why VX decided to stop AC only when on full windscreen I don't know, could be a fault or could be something technical ie intended, what's sure is that AC is on during demisting and it's something intended by the manufacturer. On mine bec it's equipped with CC, AC and fan speed comes on automatically when demist button is selected.
So it does! I would never have thought that was its intended use. I knew it was good for drying out the air so to speak though.

I'm sure it's intended, otherwise nearly everyone on here has had the same thing :lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
All the energy for heated front and back screens, mirrors, headlights, aircon, water pump (I think) battery charge comes through the auxiliary belt. (Wrongly called the fanbelt) Mounts up to about 8 BHP I am told. I guess tiny car, tiny belt, there is a limit to what it can deliver so they dont allow it all.
EDIT: forgot electric power steering. It is all delivered through the alternator using the battery only as a buffer.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Correct Jarviser, also city mode boosts power to steering so increases electric load still further.

I don't use city mode or heated screens etc as I have never needed them. Standard power steering is already stupidly light and I have had no issues with standard demister either. All these gadgets cause big drops in mpg because engine has to work harder to power them all.

As the A/C is so naff in my car I don't bother using that now either. Get cooler by opening the windows a few inches and my deflectors mean I see no real drop in mpg from doing that.

I suspect some of the people who are suffering really low mpg are doing short journeys with everything turned on not understanding the consequences ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts