Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a K&N panel filter in my 1.0t just use the adams part number from k&n's website they dont have the corsa e on there database but engines are the same

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've got a pipercross panel filter in my 1.4 T cost 35 sheets from a site called racebits it's for the corsa D but fits the E

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What do you gain by putting these on anyway? A loss of MPG, maybe gain minimal hp, all for a little noise?

If you're going for noise just get a cone filter an be done :lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's got nothing to do with noise and you don't lose mpg with performance filters...the standard filters are crap

·
Registered
356 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
It's got nothing to do with noise and you don't lose mpg with performance filters...the standard filters are crap
Sometimes on modern cars, you can actually lose performance and mpg by feeding the engine too much air. The ecu compensates for the amount of air.

There are some videos on youtube where they put performance air filters on and dyno cars and they actually lose power.

Definetly worth a look at some of the videos.

The mighty mod guys have some great videos.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You will almost certainly lose MPG, and you'll only gain 1, maybe 2 hp. The MPG loss could be minimal too, but I suspect it'll be around 5+ MPG loss

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fitted a Pipercross panel filter into my 1.4T with everything else totally standard when I when to get it remapped and it had added 8bhp with it fitted when we tested on a dyno. I found my MPG had increased too but not by a lot. 5mpg increase max.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
8hp gain from a panel? - doubt that unless your stock filter was clogged with dirt.

Did they dyno it with the stock filter on a warm engine then the panel on a warm engine within a few minutes of each other?

If they didn't, the claim is invalid as different engine temperatures, oil viscosity and air temperatures can all affect dyno results. Dynos themselves are often innaccurate and results from different ones can't be compared.

My 1.4T has 112hp at the wheels according to my local dyno and that is stock. 14hp higher than factory figure. Unlikely! More like inaccurate dyno. We've also tested several vehicles and below 4K rpm there is absolutely no gains in power from running a K&N over a new stock paper filter. We even removed the filter completely and saw no measurable power gain. Any gains would be at 5K+ rpm which you never hit in normal driving if you want your engine to last and pointless on stock 1.4T as fuelling is restricted at 4K.

Done same tests on several cars over the years and most of the time these K&N type filters give zero gains other than in increased noise levels. They just have good marketing people.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Also be aware that a new engine will be tight. If run in properly they will actually gain power from new over the first 10-20K miles anyway as engine loosens up and oil degrades and becomes thinner. Mpg will also increase naturally after a few thousand miles. You would have to drive tens of thousands of miles with each filter fitted to get a real comparison on mpg. Stopping at one junction more on one filter could account for a measurable difference in mpg so outside of a lab it is nearly impossible to compare such things. My 1.4T averages 52mpg and can get 75mpg on the motorway and that is with the factory paper filter. What sort of mpg do you reckon your getting with a K&N, better than that?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a pipercross panel filter in my 1.4 T but after reading about how they can cause the MAF sensor to fail I'm going to put the stock filter back in,also iff the MAF sensor fails how would you know?? Would the EML come on

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If MAF sensor fails, your engine will run rough as hell. My mums failed and car was undrivable and her Corsa did show warning light.

If you run a free flow filter it doesn't filter as well as a factory paper filter so it lets lots of cr*p into the combustion chambers. Some of this dirt doesn't get burnt and instead of exiting via the exhaust it falls down the sides of the pistons and gets into your oil. Once in the oil it gets pumped to all parts of the engine and can scratch and damage bearings, camshafts etc leading to premature failure. It may take a 100K miles before you notice a problem so some people don't care as they would sell the car before then. For me I often run cars for hundreds of K's of miles so longevity is more important.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
If MAF sensor fails, your engine will run rough as hell. My mums failed and car was undrivable and her Corsa did show warning light.

If you run a free flow filter it doesn't filter as well as a factory paper filter so it lets lots of cr*p into the combustion chambers. Some of this dirt doesn't get burnt and instead of exiting via the exhaust it falls down the sides of the pistons and gets into your oil. Once in the oil it gets pumped to all parts of the engine and can scratch and damage bearings, camshafts etc leading to premature failure. It may take a 100K miles before you notice a problem so some people don't care as they would sell the car before then. For me I often run cars for hundreds of K's of miles so longevity is more important.
This even more so if someone has used the stuff that seals leaks in your oil cycle. The crap in those solutions will rip components to shreds if it gets to them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts