Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is that an alloy front box section subframe under the rad or did they forget to paint mine? never seen alloy frame on a Vx.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Aluminium does not rust.

It has inbuilt properties that protect it from corrosion and it is very light and strong.

·
Registered
227 Posts
joeboy said:
Aluminium does not rust.

It has inbuilt properties that protect it from corrosion and it is very light and strong.
If it were pure aluminium you'd be right, but that's useless as it bends and has no strenght at all. Alloys of aluminium on the other hand are much stronger, some are at par with steel, but the downside is that some more than others corrode badly if left untreated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Doing a bit of quick research on the inter web it looks like generic chassis components may be 5xxx series aluminium.

Edit: digging about deeper. The 6xxx series can be used for vehicles even marine applications. Each have their own properties. Some like welding, some stronger and others resistant to corrosion. There are eight sub groups.

Talking on a tangent on treatment. It's like the rods in the engine. Turbos have forged pistons and non-turbo's have cast pistons.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I suspect they have gone with alloy to save some weight. The Corsa was getting quite heavy. In 5 door form it was close to the weight of my short wheel base Land Rover.

I notice the 3 door E with the lightweight all alloy turbo engine and lightweight 6 speed gearbox is just 1160Kg, that is 80Kg lighter than the 3 door D with the 5 speed box so they have saved a good bit of weight which will help acceleration and fuel economy. :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thats's equivalent to an adult!
They just need to knock off more to match a model C
Mind near to 100kg makes a big difference to power to weight ratio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts