Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the wires remain for the ambient lights in the Limited Edition so you could add it after?

If not any way you could install it yourself, what would you tap into... would you use the 12v so they come on when the car is on, note my remote for sub is already wired in, would that be a bad idea? could i get away with it by uprating the fuse!

Cheers Guys!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Georgerip, can you please remove the bl**dy enormous picture from your sig and replace with a much smaller one. All I see when opening this thread is multiple occurences of your picture and it slows the page load time for people like me on slow connections. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
georgeripp said:
No worries done that, thanks for your help, you can afford a 65 plate car but still have a poverty connection?
I can also afford a 1850's cottage which is a in a very rural location hence no quick broadband. :D

However ignoring me, it annoys many people having stupidly large sig pictures, makes the thread almost unreadable and slow broadband speed is more common than you think once you get out of the cities.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I can't help on the ambient lighting but my guess would be the wiring loom is in place. The car is too new for many people to have stripped them down to do that many mods or even to fit aftermarket stereos etc. Give it a few months and more info will emerge. I'm interested myself actually as I quite fancy the ambient lighting too

However my priority is still to scrap intellilink and get a decent Alpine head unit fitted. Can't do that until Microsoft release Windows 10 on mobiles (next month) so I can find out if they are offering mirrorlink support which would allow me to effectively mirror my phones apps to the head unit LCD display and duplicate most of the phone functions.

Does Ambient lighting only come on when you are not moving? or is it on whenever the lights are on?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its stock on the excite models which is gutting as I was originally gonna get an excite but prefer the look of the LE by a mile!!

It depends where you wire it many people splice into the headlight switches etc but I don't want to do that tbh!

I have used the cig lighter as a remote for my sub as that only turns on with the ignition and switches off about 2 minutes after the car is turned off!

I was wondering if I could use the back of the cigarette lighter to power some LEDs as well as the sub remote as I think they are both very undemanding applications however was a bit suspect and I don't want to go ahead and do it if its just gonna pop the fuse and be a waste of time!!

If you change intellilink out I would love to know mate! Intellilink is okay but i also would much prefer an aftermarket unit, intellilink is pretty limited, I also have a windows phone tho and its a bit of a nuisance with connectivity to anything to be honest lol!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The ambient lighting in the Excite is only the red light on the Rear view mirror, not footwell lighting etc. Not sure how you would go about adding it in though...

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
I can't help on the ambient lighting but my guess would be the wiring loom is in place. The car is too new for many people to have stripped them down to do that many mods or even to fit aftermarket stereos etc. Give it a few months and more info will emerge. I'm interested myself actually as I quite fancy the ambient lighting too

However my priority is still to scrap intellilink and get a decent Alpine head unit fitted. Can't do that until Microsoft release Windows 10 on mobiles (next month) so I can find out if they are offering mirrorlink support which would allow me to effectively mirror my phones apps to the head unit LCD display and duplicate most of the phone functions.

Does Ambient lighting only come on when you are not moving? or is it on whenever the lights are on?
The ambient lights in the front door pockets and in the console above the cup holders and USB socket and 12v socket, are on whenever the interior dial and switch backlighting is lit, and are on constantly not just when the car is stopped. The one in the base of the electrochromatic anti dazzle interior mirror fitted to SRi, Excite, SE and so on only lights up completely independently of everything else when the sensor detects its dark enough for the gearstick area to require lighting up.

On Corsa Ds and so on people retrofit the auto dim interior mirror and splice into the lighting to the interior courtesy light for power. Regarding the ones in the doors, on stuff like Astra Hs the lighting was present on some cars not equipped with them from the factory, but not others, IIRC early cars had the wiring for extra stuff not fitted , later cars were only wired for thing that were actually fitted so adding stuff later was difficult, whereas on Astra Js I think higher spec cars like SRis had wiring for adding stuff from SEs and Elites but basic ones like Exclusiv, Active, ES and so on didn't come prewired, this would suggest there were 2 looms on Astras, a basic one for the lower spec models and one with extra wiring and plugs for higher spec cars regardless of whether they had the actual feature from the factory or not.

Apparently ambient lighting is now not fitted to any spec of E for MY16, its not mentioned anywhere in the price and spec guide for the MY16 whereas it is listed for SRi and VX-Line on MY15, but I've not seen a MY16 SRi to check yet if its something not listed as being fitted but is there like the multi function computer on Excites, but the general consensus is it seems to be just MY15 SRi and SRi VX-Line which have it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I am using the remote wire from my sub in the back of my cigarette lighter, would running lights as well be a bad idea from the back of the lighter"?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
watts = Volts x Amps

so for example 10amp fuse gives you 120 watts but halve it for safety to 60 watts.

do the maths but dont uprate the fuse

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers mate so is that a yes?

I couldn't find the wattage output on either because lights are based on wattage...

Sorry man I'm just awful at all this electrical stuff lol..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks mate thats what i thought, and leds are pretty low power too might just give it a shot and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Probably best to get someone with some knowledge of car electronics or electronics in general.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts