Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title say's guys and gals. Any of you tried changing the head unit yet? Or even removed the trim? I saw a guy stickerbomb his trim (Instant cringe) but can't find him to ask him what the head unit looks like.

If you guys don't know I'll probably be removing the trim on Friday when I have some daylight to work on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you got intellilink or the standard radio, if the latter should just be a straght switchover with a possible harness dependent on the make of the stereo, if you're replacing intellilink for a different touch screen ive read that the leads needed can cost up to £200...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
georgeripp said:
Have you got intellilink or the standard radio, if the latter should just be a straght switchover with a possible harness dependent on the make of the stereo, if you're replacing intellilink for a different touch screen ive read that the leads needed can cost up to £200...
It's the intellilink, that sounds crazy but doesn't surprise me being £200 for the harness. I'll probably end up taking a look and take some pictures etc.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I think it is worse than £200. I looked at getting a harness adaptor a few months back and a genuine parts one was £250!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mud4fun said:
I think it is worse than £200. I looked at getting a harness adaptor a few months back and a genuine parts one was £250!
Wow, I miss my SPH120 but not for that much.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
SammyG145 said:
mud4fun said:
LOL

That was the cheapest bit....

The Alpine double DIN mirrorlink enabled HU with a big touch screen was £800 on top of that £250 adaptor. Then there was the infinity speakers at £400 a set. If I was going to keep the car it may be worth it but I don't intend keeping it for that long.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've heard aswell that Vauxhall aren't planning on adding any more apps to intellilink anyone know if this is true or not... pretty awful if not because intellilink is awful needs a complete system update solving loads of issues before its even bareable, and apparently we get no updates but the astra will...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
georgeripp said:
I've heard aswell that Vauxhall aren't planning on adding any more apps to intellilink anyone know if this is true or not... pretty awful if not because intellilink is awful needs a complete system update solving loads of issues before its even bareable, and apparently we get no updates but the astra will...
Probably true.

The system in the corsa is probably old in their eyes. After all, the corsa is a cheap car, with cheap components.

The intelilink isn't all that bad, granted its not actually doing that much other than providing a touch interface over physical buttons to control the radio though.

If they have given up, it is a shame, and a waste on their part imo.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Intellilink is 20 year old tech and was out of date years ago, long before VX starting shipping it with cars. It has been available in the states for years in GM cars (parent company) and it has never been updated there and still has all the same issues such as way too bright, lack of apps etc.

The next gen of in car interfaces have far greater integration with mobile phones and are far superior in every way to intellilink however the car makers won't fit them due to disagreements between them and the software houses such as Microsoft, Google, Apple etc. Politics and revenue streams I guess. If GM fit their own system they can control who sees what and when.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So, my friend was called to come with his Opel Mokka to the service for "engine software update" (IMHO, VW scandal related hahaha). I went with him, and we met a guy who had quite big knowledge about infotainment systems, as he was main guy there responsible Od every piece of electronic software on car's board. He said to me that there are plans to update every Intellilink and My Links (Chevy, etc) released few years back (based on our intellilink) in mid16'. I know that this type of infos are mainly gossips inside company, but still fingers crossed. He hadn't any info about replacing intellilink 3.0 with 4.0, though. I'm not sure guys if you noticed, but in mine bring go app on Xperia Android I discovered that there is a process that refers to Mirror Link (which is supported natively by Sony Xperia devices). Interesting. If bring go uses mirror link it shouldn't be that big problem to give us more apps... Or even CarPlay/Android Auto...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ThaweK said:
So, my friend was called to come with his Opel Mokka to the service for "engine software update" (IMHO, VW scandal related hahaha). I went with him, and we met a guy who had quite big knowledge about infotainment systems, as he was main guy there responsible Od every piece of electronic software on car's board. He said to me that there are plans to update every Intellilink and My Links (Chevy, etc) released few years back (based on our intellilink) in mid16'. I know that this type of infos are mainly gossips inside company, but still fingers crossed. He hadn't any info about replacing intellilink 3.0 with 4.0, though. I'm not sure guys if you noticed, but in mine bring go app on Xperia Android I discovered that there is a process that refers to Mirror Link (which is supported natively by Sony Xperia devices). Interesting. If bring go uses mirror link it shouldn't be that big problem to give us more apps... Or even CarPlay/Android Auto...
BringGo using Screen Scraping, which is not quite Mirror Linking AFAIK. With regards to CarPlay/Auto, the lack of those is likely absolutely nothing to do with Vauxhalls ability to add them, it's more likely to do with them getting a good price on it from Apple/Google.

I mean, even the new BMW 7 series doesn't support CarPlay/Auto at launch!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's what I'm talking about Sorry for Polish UI. Anyways you see MirrorLink (TM)... But trying to connect via Xperia MirrorLink synchronization, doesn't work/detect.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ThaweK said:
That's what I'm talking about Sorry for Polish UI. Anyways you see MirrorLink (TM)... But trying to connect via Xperia MirrorLink synchronization, doesn't work/detect.
Interesting... I know it uses Screen Scraping to gather it data and send it to the Intelilink BringGo app, rather than actually running the app on the phone and then portraying it on the intelilink screen.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mirrorlink is a hardware/software standard that allows a mobile to talk to a HU.

The idea being that the HU will mirror all your phone apps to its screen and allow them to use the cars sound system.

It means you don't need naff apps as provided by VX, you could run your own apps. Intellilink is not mirrorlink enabled but some aftermarket HU's are. However there are various implementations of mirrorlink and most are pretty poor.

Microsoft is working on a windows 10 mirrorlink integration which would allow the HU in your car to act exactly as though it was your phones screen, all same apps, tiles etc. Sadly they haven't released it yet. It will be a game changer when released.

This link explains it and has a video of it in action:

http://wmpoweruser.com/mirrorlink-for-windows-phones-may-still-be-on-its-way-but-should-have-been-here-years-ago/

The in car demo starts at 5:45 in the video on that page.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mud4fun said:
SammyG145 said:
mud4fun said:
LOL

That was the cheapest bit....

The Alpine double DIN mirrorlink enabled HU with a big touch screen was £800 on top of that £250 adaptor. Then there was the infinity speakers at £400 a set. If I was going to keep the car it may be worth it but I don't intend keeping it for that long.
The most powerful headunit in the aftermarket it is the Octacore from Indashnet.

indiegogo.com/projects/indashnet-world-s-first-open-source-infotainment/x/12679152#/

There is 1 unit left. Best luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Found out a movie showing Adam's intellilink replacement. It's the same as in our corsa

Reactions: lukeclaydon92
1 - 16 of 16 Posts