Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Cradles generally aren't specific to any model of car.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
....and you dont specify screen, heater grille or cupholder.

any universal phone holder like the Wilkinsons screen mount holder for £5 will hold a Classic iPod.

but I stuff mine on the cupholder space becsuse as soon as you connect the USB the ipod controls stop working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only played about with iPod once - I connected it to the intellilink via headphone jack. Didn't realise you can't use iPod controls if you connect via the USB??!! Is that the case then? It will charge via USB but you cannot use ipod controls like this?

The reason I would like a holder is to stop looking down to change track/album in the iPod.... It would be a little bit safer if I could store it on the dash somewhere/ heater vent.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
GoJohnnyGo!! said:
I have only played about with iPod once - I connected it to the intellilink via headphone jack. Didn't realise you can't use iPod controls if you connect via the USB??!! Is that the case then? It will charge via USB but you cannot use ipod controls like this?

The reason I would like a holder is to stop looking down to change track/album in the iPod.... It would be a little bit safer if I could store it on the dash somewhere/ heater vent.
You shouldn't be changing tracks or anything on the iPod whilst driving anyway.

Plug it in via USB and you should be able to use your steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just had a little play about with the iPod connected via USB and pleasantly surprised to say the artwork and all the info appeared on my touch screen of intellilink - how cool is that. Charges iPod and yes you can skip tracks via steering wheel - love it!!!!! Still wish I had a CD player in the car aswell though, got hundreds of the things, I'm a massive music fan, being a lorry driver spending all day on the road it's just me and my stereo lol!!!!!!! I haven't had time to read instruction book for intellilink yet, I've been busy reading the owners handbook from cover to cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At the risk of going a little off-topic, I carried across my 'MONTAR Universal Car Holder For Smartphones' (Amazon UK) into the corsa and now use it for my iPhone 6 plus instead of an iPod classic.
I have the mount stuck to the windscreen on the right of my steering wheel and have run an 'Anker 6ft Nylon Braided USB Cable with Lightning Connector' (Amazon UK) down the door column, under the steering area, into the centre console and plugged into the usb port. I've left about 3 inches of cable at the iphone end, which when not in use gets tucked into the dashboard demisting grill out of the way.
The usb connection allows me to operate the ipod (iphone) music function from the steering wheel controls and also provides Siri 'eyes free', allowing me to give voice commands to the iphone.
Another benefit of a proper apple certified lead is that I can use my iphone TomTom software to navigate; the music is muted and the directions given over the main vehicle speakers as long as you are listening to tunes from your iphone (not the radio).
Be aware that the Montar car mount uses a soft gel-like suction cup which sticks like a limpet! It takes some gentle but very persuasive elbow grease to get it off the windscreen if you put it in the wrong place :shock: A great piece of kit IMO.

-LaZ-

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Lazarus said:
At the risk of going a little off-topic, I carried across my 'MONTAR Universal Car Holder For Smartphones' (Amazon UK) into the corsa and now use it for my iPhone 6 plus instead of an iPod classic.
I have the mount stuck to the windscreen on the right of my steering wheel and have run an 'Anker 6ft Nylon Braided USB Cable with Lightning Connector' (Amazon UK) down the door column, under the steering area, into the centre console and plugged into the usb port. I've left about 3 inches of cable at the iphone end, which when not in use gets tucked into the dashboard demisting grill out of the way.
The usb connection allows me to operate the ipod (iphone) music function from the steering wheel controls and also provides Siri 'eyes free', allowing me to give voice commands to the iphone.
Another benefit of a proper apple certified lead is that I can use my iphone TomTom software to navigate; the music is muted and the directions given over the main vehicle speakers as long as you are listening to tunes from your iphone (not the radio).
Be aware that the Montar car mount uses a soft gel-like suction cup which sticks like a limpet! It takes some gentle but very persuasive elbow grease to get it off the windscreen if you put it in the wrong place :shock: A great piece of kit IMO.

-LaZ-
Eyes free can be done via Bluetooth rather than cable connection - same with the phone connection.

In fact, I'm not sure it can be done via cable?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm similar to Lazarus, I use an expensive RAM X-grip modular mount on a limpet like suction cup on the screen in the bottom right corner. Holds any model of phone, any size including phablets. Not cheap at £50 but quality and has not fallen off in 9 months. I use USB cable and get all same features and benefits as Lazarus mentions. All my music plays from my phone. My sat nav works from phone and mutes music, calls work fine from steering controls, pictures and videos work fine and phone charges while in use. Other advantage is that the RAM parts are modular and can be used with tripods etc for camera work too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts