Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it was -2 when I went to work this morning.
When I turned the ignition on, or started the engine (can't remember which) the auto wipers went on.
Now, if the blades were frozen to the screen, and this happens often (in winter) I can see some damage being done (to the blades or motor)
Do you think it could be because there's frost over the sensor and it thinks it's water ?
I will try wiping over the sensor tomorrow and see if that changes anything.
Heated windscreen is AWESOME by the way ;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks Carlhusky8801 for the info will keep an eye on? but not had this happen so far.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It will be because the sensor is blocked, the sensor doesn't know what's on the window, could be dirt, water, rain, ice, snow it'll try remove it. This is why I dislike auto-wipers and am glad I didn't get any (besides them being a right pain in the arse and carrying on wiping even if it's barely drizzle). Just de-activate it and wipe them manually after the frost has gone.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
It will be because the sensor is blocked, the sensor doesn't know what's on the window, could be dirt, water, rain, ice, snow it'll try remove it. This is why I dislike auto-wipers and am glad I didn't get any (besides them being a right pain in the arse and carrying on wiping even if it's barely drizzle). Just de-activate it and wipe them manually after the frost has gone.
Can't say I've had an issue with my Auto-wipers. If you don't want them to wipe on a drizzle then turn the speed down and they don't bother wiping for a while.

Can't say mine have frozen yet either, that's with ice in this morning.

I did move them to manual though whilst I was heating the screen to prevent any damage to any components (although they didn't actually activate with ice on the screen.)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I am not keen on my auto wipers, don't see the point of them and they often don't sweep often enough anyway. Haven't had chance to try my heated windscreen with frost yet. I would have done this morning but had to get the bus to the ferry. I'm currently sat in a rather posh hotel room in Bristol!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
I am not keen on my auto wipers, don't see the point of them and they often don't sweep often enough anyway. Haven't had chance to try my heated windscreen with frost yet. I would have done this morning but had to get the bus to the ferry. I'm currently sat in a rather posh hotel room in Bristol!
It depends how clear you expect your windscreen to be - granted when you first get them, they seem to take forever to wipe, but that's when you learn how to use them. Mine are generally always on their highest/fastest setting, unless it starts pouring and in which case they go into storm speed, so I turn it down one :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Auto wipers are pointless and they will break in severe cold. We have -10c frequently here in winter and have had -17c a couple of years ago so harsh ice is common throughout winter. Every car I've had with them fitted has cost me £100's for replacement wiper mechanisms from damage caused by them trying to wipe when frozen or heavily laden with snow. I would never buy a car with them fitted. I deliberately bought a trim level with the least number of silly gadgets to avoid issues like this. I've had enough problems with the limited tech in my car as it is!

·
Registered
455 Posts
mud4fun said:
Auto wipers are pointless and they will break in severe cold. We have -10c frequently here in winter and have had -17c a couple of years ago so harsh ice is common throughout winter. Every car I've had with them fitted has cost me £100's for replacement wiper mechanisms from damage caused by them trying to wipe when frozen or heavily laden with snow. I would never buy a car with them fitted. I deliberately bought a trim level with the least number of silly gadgets to avoid issues like this. I've had enough problems with the limited tech in my car as it is!
I love tech but I'm with you, auto-wipers are pointless and I don't trust a computer over my mind as to be able to judge what I can see when wiping anyway, I am human and have a right hand capable of changing the speed with minimal effort required haha so yes it suits me alright!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts