Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody played music, watched a movie while the car is off. How long will the intellilink play music/movies before it drains the battery?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
probably not very long, an hour at most I suspect.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've managed about 3 hours without issue (was locked out of work and had to wait for somebody to arrive).

In theory a car battery would power a car stereo for at least a day, it depends on the capacity of the battery and its health. My diesel Land Rover batteries are over 90amp/hr capacity, intellink probably consumes no more than 2 amps so I could run it for 45 hours :), however I reckon the Corsa battery will struggle to do less than half and then that would be near flat so you'd be risking not having enough reserve to start the cold engine. I'd not recommend going over 3 hours myself as the car also draws from the battery for other things anyway.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
my dealer recommended not to go over an hour. I suspect they were meaning don't do it frequently though.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
my dealer recommended not to go over an hour. I suspect they were meaning don't do it frequently though.
Yes true, in my case I do a 3 or 4 hour commute to work and back so my battery will get fully charged. However if somebody only drives 3 miles down the road to work and then plays their radio for an hour a day it'll flatten the battery by the end of the week!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Do Vauxhalls not still have a power saving mode which cuts the radio off after half an hour/an hour if its switched on with the ignition off anyway?

All my old Vauxhalls had it (I realise you can just turn it back on every half hour, just wondering if that feature still exists)

Also, surely a Corsa will have more than a 45 amp/hr battery now with all the electrical Gubbins they are fitted with these days? I'd have thought 60/70.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes Hendry it still exists. It does my head in. I listen to my car radio during lunch hour and the damn thing cuts out after a time. I don't think it is even as long as 30 mins. You have to turn the key off and back on again and wait for intellilink to boot back up which takes an age...... god I hate it!!

yes, true, probably is around 70ah to be fair.

Although that is its capacity fully charged. If somebody has been doing lots of short trips and using their heated seats, heated windscreen and heated steering wheel the battery will be near flat most of the time ;-)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Just checked, mine is a 60 amp hour and in theory that is the beefier battery because mine has stop/start fitted!

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Just checked, mine is a 60 amp hour and in theory that is the beefier battery because mine has stop/start fitted!
I haven't checked mine but I'd suspect it will be 60 too because all my old Vauxhalls have never had start atop and then had I'm sure it was 55a/hr batteries with a lot less electrical equipment than the Corsa

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just checked, my 1.4 n/a with no start stop has a 60amp/hour battery fitted too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mud4fun said:
I've managed about 3 hours without issue (was locked out of work and had to wait for somebody to arrive).
Thanks mud. I was hoping to play some music while off over the weekend, a couple of hours tops so should be all good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you leave lots of stuff on it'll display "Battery Saver Mode" on the speedo screen and will disable everything in the car leaving the remaining battery life to start the vehicle again. You need to leave stuff on for a good 3-4 hours however.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I played loud music in the car for roughly 2 hours and no issues :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts