Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

I currently have the corsa d 1.7sri which I'll be replacing soon as its near the end of the lease.......any tips on the best new engine as this one is now out of production? Needs to be comfortable on m way as well as round town and nice to have a bit of oomph.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
1.4T - check out posts by Mud4fun. I only got mine yesterday so still getting used to het, but the 6 speed gearbox is very smooth!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, thanks. Is that the 150 BHP or 100 BHP?
I have been looking at the SRI VX line and this has the option of the 1.0 115 bhp as well if anyone has one of those?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
No engine is 100 or 150 BHP. They are PSI/HP.

The 1.4T is a brilliant engine.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I quite like the 1.4 but I've only driven the 1.4 and 1.0L turbo, the 1.0L Turbo had a lot of OOMPH which I don't think the 1.4T would have? Not too sure but the 1.0L is the closest to the 1.7 in my own opinion in terms of power

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
I quite like the 1.4 but I've only driven the 1.4 and 1.0L turbo, the 1.0L Turbo had a lot of OOMPH which I don't think the 1.4T would have? Not too sure but the 1.0L is the closest to the 1.7 in my own opinion in terms of power
The 1.4T has more torque than the 1.0T - meaning it will have a lot more oomph and pulling power. The 1.4T is a better engine fire the most part - to get the decent power from the 1.0 you have to hit 6k revs, whereas the 1.4T only needs 3750.

·
Registered
501 Posts
1.4t
just come home from watching liverpool last night and done a 500 mile trip and it was a pleasure to drive. plus a remap will make it alot more powerfull if this interest's you. really like the 1.4t sri i have and recommend it to anyone who's looking at it. But i will say 2nd gear for me isnt brilliant and very lumpy. my mate drove it and said 2nd gear off the line is poor but if your going down to 2nd its alot better and powerful

·
Registered
455 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Matthew said:
The 1.4T has more torque than the 1.0T - meaning it will have a lot more oomph and pulling power. The 1.4T is a better engine fire the most part - to get the decent power from the 1.0 you have to hit 6k revs, whereas the 1.4T only needs 3750.
I was getting decent power from the 1.0 in mid 2-3k RPM whereas I thought my 1.4 was poor until I realised I had to reach a higher range i.e. 3,000 as I got used to driving it like that but as said I've never driven the 1.4T but the 1.0 I put my foot down and I almost had an accident in my trousers when I realised how quick that thing goes even just pulling out of a junction

·
Registered
107 Posts
Matthew said:
The 1.0 comes in two flavours the higher being 113 bhp and is equivalent to a 1.6 n/a. Lots pf immedoate kick. Certainly the 1.4 is wonderful but drives like a diesel. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
LimeyUK said:
Matthew said:
I was getting decent power from the 1.0 in mid 2-3k RPM whereas I thought my 1.4 was poor until I realised I had to reach a higher range i.e. 3,000 as I got used to driving it like that but as said I've never driven the 1.4T but the 1.0 I put my foot down and I almost had an accident in my trousers when I realised how quick that thing goes even just pulling out of a junction
Try the 1.4T then. The amount of torque that Engine has is ridiculous. Pulls like a beast.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Timbo,

I tested the 1.0T but it was gutless at lower rpm compared to the 1.4T. At typical motorway cruising between 1800-2400rpm (60-80mph in 6th) the 1.4T has 40% more torque than the 1.0T so it can pull 6th up the steepest motorway inclines and still get good mpg.

I have done 12K miles in my 1.4T (100PS) in 5 months, about 7K of that was motorway. No other engine comes close for motorway cruising ability. Fast, relaxed and economical.

The 1.0T is good engine but IMHO is better suited to more urban driving.

( or for those that like to scream their engines to make rapid forward progress rather than riding a wave of torque and changing gear properly) ;-)

The best 2015 Corsa petrol mpg on fuelly is a 1.0T belonging to member knytshade who is averaging 54mpg, my 1.4T is a little behind at 52mpg. Mind you knytshade has only done 1000miles, my avg is over 12 times that mileage.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Be aware though that while the 1.4T 100PS is a great engine it has a very narrow power band like a diesel engine. It will not rev freely to the red line. You need to change up much earlier than you would in a 1.0T. It needs to be kept in the 1600-3750 band, below or above that it has no power.

Also if you are coming from a bigger 1.7 normally aspirated engine you will find both the 1.0T and 1.4T may need more revs before pulling away than you are used to. Neither turbo will pull away cleanly at low rpm in 1st. Even at low speeds in 2nd they will potentially stall or struggle. This is common feature with lots of small turbo petrol engines, you just get used to keeping the engine revs up a bit.

It was even worse for me, my previous vehicle was a 2.5 turbo diesel pickup that could pull away in 2nd at tickover - I stalled so many times in the first week of driving the Corsa! :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
mud4fun said:
Be aware though that while the 1.4T 100PS is a great engine it has a very narrow power band like a diesel engine. It will not rev freely to the red line. You need to change up much earlier than you would in a 1.0T. It needs to be kept in the 1600-3750 band, below or above that it has no power.

Also if you are coming from a bigger 1.7 normally aspirated engine you will find both the 1.0T and 1.4T may need more revs before pulling away than you are used to. Neither turbo will pull away cleanly at low rpm in 1st. Even at low speeds in 2nd they will potentially stall or struggle. This is common feature with lots of small turbo petrol engines, you just get used to keeping the engine revs up a bit.

It was even worse for me, my previous vehicle was a 2.5 turbo diesel pickup that could pull away in 2nd at tickover - I stalled so many times in the first week of driving the Corsa! :)
I've found with the two I drove, as soon as they go into 2nd (more-so the 1L) it's like someone's gave it a kick up the butt as you get this burst of power? Maybe just me but noticed it moves much faster when staying between 2nd and 3rd, as soon as I get higher the speed seems to take a while to catch-up to what I'd like it to be (i.e. 50-70 takes a while) yet again I probably should've got the 1.4T but it's not permanent and if I had bought the car outright I would've realised it was a mistake but seen as it's technically a lease it doesn't bother me as much

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timbo said:
Afternoon all,

I currently have the corsa d 1.7sri which I'll be replacing soon as its near the end of the lease.......any tips on the best new engine as this one is now out of production? Needs to be comfortable on m way as well as round town and nice to have a bit of oomph.

Cheers.
I need a bit of help here. My original engine which was a 1litre has blown up, i have just replaced it with a 1.4 and changed wiring lum but it's not starting up. Fuel rail isn't being primed but she is turning over.. any ideas on what I should do... cheers

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Shane said:
I need a bit of help here. My original engine which was a 1litre has blown up, i have just replaced it with a 1.4
Er, either the 1.0T is weaker than even I had imagined or you are not talking about a Corsa E?

·
Registered
455 Posts
mud4fun said:
Shane said:
I need a bit of help here. My original engine which was a 1litre has blown up, i have just replaced it with a 1.4
Er, either the 1.0T is weaker than even I had imagined or you are not talking about a Corsa E?
Presuming not a Corsa E... besides the fact I've never known anyone do an engine swap themselves on a car that's brand new?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts