Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boot has decided to not open this evening.
When I try to open it I can hear the unlocking noise, but when looking at the lock internally, it wasn't moving at all.

I tried locking, unlocking several times to no avail.

It did it temporarily at lunch today, but I didn't think anything of it.

The lock itself is clear of any debris in the boot from what I can see, so my first though is that it didn't shut completely, but enough for the car to believe it was shit.

Guess if it doesn't sort itself out tomorrow then I'll have to get it down the dealers again.

Anyone else had similar?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not on my corsa but exactly the same thing happened on my last car fiat punto and they replaced the boot lock apparently water had got inside the mechanism

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not with the boot but did have issue with the drivers door. The motor started to squeak, then the door didn't unlock a couple of times then the internal handle started to get stiff and felt like it was grinding. Took it in and the took the card off and greased the whole lot. (I assume with copper grease as I fould a streak of it on the door card the next day). Since then it's been fine

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skyblue1969 said:
Not on my corsa but exactly the same thing happened on my last car fiat punto and they replaced the boot lock apparently water had got inside the mechanism
That sounds very plausible. It has been pouring down today, and I do recall water running down the inside of the boot as I opened it, so knowing my luck it probably got in the lock.

Bit of a stupid design if that is the case!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Someone had the same thing on the facebook group the other day. Someone mentioned that the boot has a different fuse to the other door and it could have been the fuse that was gone.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Try pushing down on the boot lid while you operate it. The tension may be too much. If so, when you get it open, rotate the buffers a bit clockwise (one each side)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LeachiE said:
Someone had the same thing on the facebook group the other day. Someone mentioned that the boot has a different fuse to the other door and it could have been the fuse that was gone.
Do you know if their boot still made the noise of unlocking? Mine currently makes the noise still, but nothing happens.

Surely a fuse shouldn't have went already?!

Jarviser said:
Try pushing down on the boot lid while you operate it. The tension may be too much. If so, when you get it open, rotate the buffers a bit clockwise (one each side)
Tried this to no avail, but will try it again later too.

Anyone know if there is a manual release?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Have just asked. Someone else said that there is a safety release inside the boot as it happened to their D.

Edit - he just replied that he's taking it back to VX to be fixed under warranty. Car still made the right noise but the button to release the boot doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LeachiE said:
Have just asked. Someone else said that there is a safety release inside the boot as it happened to their D.

Edit - he just replied that he's taking it back to VX to be fixed under warranty. Car still made the right noise but the button to release the boot doesn't work.
Yea that sounds very similar.

I'll have a read of the manual to see where the release is. Couldn't see it easily yesterday.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my car is in the garage today to try and sort this problem.

I've just had a call from them saying that they can't get it open and that they are going to have to damage the trim (and replace it) in order to cut the latch out and refit a new one. They don't know what has caused it to jam shut yet either.

Ridiculous design not to have a manual release though!

·
Registered
895 Posts
LimeyUK said:
So my car is in the garage today to try and sort this problem.

I've just had a call from them saying that they can't get it open and that they are going to have to damage the trim (and replace it) in order to cut the latch out and refit a new one. They don't know what has caused it to jam shut yet either.

Ridiculous design not to have a manual release though!
Hi Limey sorry to read of your problems & lets hope your replacement Boot Lock is received quicker than my replacement Handbrake. Best of luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LimeyUK said:
My boot has decided to not open this evening.
When I try to open it I can hear the unlocking noise, but when looking at the lock internally, it wasn't moving at all.

I tried locking, unlocking several times to no avail.

It did it temporarily at lunch today, but I didn't think anything of it.

The lock itself is clear of any debris in the boot from what I can see, so my first though is that it didn't shut completely, but enough for the car to believe it was shit.

Guess if it doesn't sort itself out tomorrow then I'll have to get it down the dealers again.

Anyone else had similar?
had that prob once with a vx astra vxr, when the mech at the deales workshop tried it . it worked , had no bother with it after that....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The cars booked in on Wednesday, they're going to have to cut the lock out and damage some trim in order to fit a new lock.

Very strange situation!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Poor piece of design, slightly older Vauxhalls without an actual mechanical button/switch to open the boot but instead one of these electric "button presses" wired to the wiring loom sending a signal to the canbus to open the boot when pressed all had an emergency way of opening the boot if the switch failed, usually a rubber grommet on the inner boot trim which you prise off, get a large flathead screwdriver, insert it into the slot revealed by remvoing the grommet, turn the slot anticlockwise and the boot pops open.

Not sure why the E doesn't have that, seems madness to not include it as a failsafe.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hendry said:
Poor piece of design, slightly older Vauxhalls without an actual mechanical button/switch to open the boot but instead one of these electric "button presses" wired to the wiring loom sending a signal to the canbus to open the boot when pressed all had an emergency way of opening the boot if the switch failed, usually a rubber grommet on the inner boot trim which you prise off, get a large flathead screwdriver, insert it into the slot revealed by remvoing the grommet, turn the slot anticlockwise and the boot pops open.

Not sure why the E doesn't have that, seems madness to not include it as a failsafe.
That's exactly what I thought. They may yet remove the plastic covering on the boot and see if it's still possible to open it that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts