Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you add the turbo from the 1.4T to the non turbo 1.4?

Love the car but not the lack of power so would be nice to get a wee boost until renew time comes at which point ill be buying a mustang :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Why didn't you just buy the turbo?

Anything is possible for a price but sadly the cost of adding the turbo and all the ancilliary parts such as exhausts, intercooler etc plus the ECU mapping will end up costing way more than simply paying the extra and ordering a 1.4T in the first place.

I don't even believe it is as simple as bolting on a turbo as I believe the whole cylinder head is different on the turbo models AND the internals such as pistons, connecting rods, camshaft and even valves may also be different.

You will also face additional hassle with insurance which will cost more as a modified 1.4na than as a genuine 1.4T. You should also upgrade your brakes to disk rear if only drum as they put better brakes on the turbo for a reason - if you can go faster you need to stop quicker too.

I'd suggest you keep your 1.4na for a while then sell it on and buy a 1.4T model.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Why didn't you just buy the turbo?

Anything is possible for a price but sadly the cost of adding the turbo and all the ancilliary parts such as exhausts, intercooler etc plus the ECU mapping will end up costing way more than simply paying the extra and ordering a 1.4T in the first place.

I don't even believe it is as simple as bolting on a turbo as I believe the whole cylinder head is different on the turbo models AND the internals such as pistons, connecting rods, camshaft and even valves may also be different.

You will also face additional hassle with insurance which will cost more as a modified 1.4na than as a genuine 1.4T. You should also upgrade your brakes to disk rear if only drum as they put better brakes on the turbo for a reason - if you can go faster you need to stop quicker too.

I'd suggest you keep your 1.4na for a while then sell it on and buy a 1.4T model.
Exactly what I thought! May as well just have bought the Turbo originally.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
This is partly why I am still struggling to choose between the two 1.4 engines! I don't want to get the 1,4 n/a and then forever wish that I had got the turbo! Both felt equally fast to me, but as Mud pointed out I hadn't experienced the turbo kicking in. I did rather like the noise that the turbo engine makes though! Seeing as though the difference between the two insurance wise is very little, I may as well go with the turbo. Just that one part of me thinks it might be a little 'untameable' on my usual routes, although it would give a lot mroe pleasure to drive the long way round to get to places! :lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
kriegar said:
Can you add the turbo from the 1.4T to the non turbo 1.4?
i was just reading about effect of mods on insurance on Moneysupermarket.
adding a turbo to an n/a averaged across the insurers almost doubles the premium (+91%)
best of all adding body stripes +9%!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Jarviser said:
best of all adding body stripes +9%!
So the insurance company actually believes they make the car go faster? :lol:
:lol: probably more the premise that comes with go faster stripes - I guess the majority of people who have them must crash more than those that don't :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Right Iv had the 1.4na LE for 4 months now and basically if you want it to go "fast"you gota keep the revs up, it will do 80mph in 3rd gear but I would not advise driving it like that alot but it can shift if you use all the revs in the gears.Changing gear around 3000 rpm to me anyway makes the car feel "nippy" instead of FFS hurry up lol.

With th 1.4 turbo,the turbo does all that work for you. If you have drove diesels like myself for the last few years you actually forget you can change gear higher up the rev range on a petrol car so the 1.4 would obviously feel slower if im still changing gear in the same rpm range as I did with my diesel cars if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The 1.4T 100PS has fuel limiter at 3750rpm so no point in revving higher, it actually needs to be driven more like a diesel with early change ups - probably why I like it so much as I too have driven mostly diesels in the past :)

You're right though, generally petrols do like being revved but it buggers your mpg up ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't buy the 1.4 Turbo in the first place because I bought the car at the end of the quarter and as a result I managed to get a good chunk off it if I bought something that they had in stock. I also at the time didnt want to spend any more than I was spending as this is my first car.

I ride motorbikes and didnt think id use the car a lot nor need anything fast but I have been finding myself using it more and more and because I ride motorbikes Im used to 0.60 in 3 seconds not 3 years!.

Ah well I didnt think it would be as simple as bolting on a turbo but thought it was worth asking :D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The thought of adding turbo's to naturally aspirated engines is worrying. The turbo engine will have a different compression ratio and by adding a turbo to a N/A engine you are forcing a mixture into a smaller combustion area. This will raise engine temperatures and will more than likely melt pistons, rings. This now more violent combustion will lead to premature bearing failure.

A lot of people do make turbo conversions, I would look at forged pistons and rods and calculate the larger combustion area for the use of a turbo. You can get the forged pistons & rods from http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk or http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk do some great upgrade parts that might give your Corsa a boost.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
One of my first jobs at Vx in 1969 was in warranty/aftersales and someone asked if we did engine mounts get a 2 litre into an HA viva as there seemed to be so much space rount the current engine. I asked him even if he could squash it in how he was supposed to stop it with 8 inch drum brakes. There are a lot more things to think about with the turbo conversion, including brakes, and to contemplate major surgery on a new car is heart breaking.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Agreed Jarviser. I've fitted more powerful engines to many of my vehicles but all of those conversions involved upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, often included new wiring looms, exhausts, radiators, intercoolers etc. On classic cars were it was to retain the classic car looks and in some cases very rare vehicle anyway but bring it up to more modern levels of performance and safety it was worth the expense which often exceeded £10K.

On a widely available Corsa it is pointless as the costs involved (and knock on effects in increased insurance and reduced residuals) would far exceed those in simply trading in the 1.4na for a 1.4T car.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Agreed Jarviser. I've fitted more powerful engines to many of my vehicles but all of those conversions involved upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, often included new wiring looms, exhausts, radiators, intercoolers etc. On classic cars were it was to retain the classic car looks and in some cases very rare vehicle anyway but bring it up to more modern levels of performance and safety it was worth the expense which often exceeded £10K.

On a widely available Corsa it is pointless as the costs involved (and knock on effects in increased insurance and reduced residuals) would far exceed those in simply trading in the 1.4na for a 1.4T car.
Agreed, and this is a lesson that you should thoroughly research the car you plan to buy and make sure its suitable before taking the pluinge, because otherwise all you are doing is lining dealer and finance companies pockets constantly changing. The number of people I know who, in fairness have well paid jobs and can afford it, but have wasted thousands of pounds buying unsuitable cars, is astonishing. They maybe started off with a 1.2 Corsa, they decide they want more power so they go and buy an Astra VXR, then they get their missus up the duff soon after, and need a bigger car, so they go and buy a Zafira VXR, then realise its very thirsty so they buy a 1.9 150bhp CDTi Zafira, the ancillaries in them are very weak and unreliable so they get rid for a Insignia 1.8 SRi VX-Line and realise its still thirsty but has no oomph, then they buy the 2.0 CDTi Insignia and get bored of driving a sales rep mobile, so they then buy a 1.6 Turbo 5 door Astra and then decide its only 1 child so a Corsa VXR will be suitable after all. Note that was just an example of the cars involved, but I know a lot of people who are/were big into modified cars and got bored very easily and changed all the time, and the amount of changes were really as bad as that, only they were wildly varying cars, from 1.4 TSi Golfs, Sciroccos, Leon Cupras, Evos, Impreza WRX and Turbos, 3 series BMWs, A3s, A4s, 5 series BMWs, Astra GTCs, Ibiza Bocanegras, you name it, they've bought, sold, traded in and swapped them, losing thousands in the process. I thought I was bad getting bored after 2.5/3 years and changing cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts