Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I got my automatic Corsa excite in February this year , and i have only done 1.5k miles, but my remaining oil life is now at 39% and I don't understand how it has dropped from 76% in July-August time to 39% at mid November? (there is no leakage). I do short trips every day as I only work a 10 minutes drive from where I live, I've been told that it could be because I do a lot of short trips and because off a change in weather.
also will I need to have the oil changed before my service which is due in Feb.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
455 Posts
As someone said in another post on the forum your oil life will be much worse the shorter the journeys you're doing - i.e. the 10minute journey is what 3-4miles? I'm sure the user advised at least 10miles trips and personally if I only worked 10 minutes away I'd be walking haha

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
76% down in 9 months isn't that bad. It's probably right on track to be inline with your first service in February.

As Matthew said, your short trips will be destroying the oil life - and yes, you will need to change it when it hits zero.

If it hits zero in late December or in January, just book your service and do it then.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Craige also had mine since February & down to 31% so on target for my 1st Service as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replys, much appreciated. For the service does anyone know how much Vauxhalll charge? would it be any more than £200?

·
Registered
455 Posts
First service is around £150 I think, 2nd is about £220 (* every 2nd service / 4th / 6th is more expensive) then back to about £150

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"First service is around £150 I think, 2nd is about £220 (* every 2nd service / 4th / 6th is more expensive) then back to about £150"

Okay, yeah I heard that too, thank you Matthew.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the car in for warrantey work the other week and asked about first service. Quoted £139 all in which i think is a good price. I know it only going to be an oil and filter change but still not bad for a dealer service

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You should get a service plan on a new car imo. Not only does it ensure you remember to service it, it also spreads the cost.

An oil change is part of a minor service, but you can just get it done separately if you've destroyed it that quickly.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I took out the monthly service plan for 3 years so there shouldn't be anything huge to pay out for during that time. Think it was around £15 a month.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
That only pays for three standard annual services. So what if an early oil change is indicated I wonder? They just told me we'll discuss that if it happens!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jarviser said:
That only pays for three standard annual services. So what if an early oil change is indicated I wonder? They just told me we'll discuss that if it happens!
If your oil goes that early, then you either drive badly or you're using the car for journeys that don't warrant a car.

Theoretically, oil could go 1-2 months before your service, in which instance you would just book the service early.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CraigExcite93 said:
Hi Guys,
I got my automatic Corsa excite in February this year , and i have only done 1.5k miles, but my remaining oil life is now at 39% and I don't understand how it has dropped from 76% in July-August time to 39% at mid November? (there is no leakage). I do short trips every day as I only work a 10 minutes drive from where I live, I've been told that it could be because I do a lot of short trips and because off a change in weather.

Any help is appreciated!
To put things into perspective I have had mine since April 2015, I have now done 9,600 miles and the oil percentage is at 30%. I do 22 mile trips to and from work so 44 miles a day rarely doing shorter than 30 min drives.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
agoodley said:
CraigExcite93 said:
Hi Guys,

Any help is appreciated!
To put things into perspective I have had mine since April 2015, I have now done 9,600 miles and the oil percentage is at 30%. I do 22 mile trips to and from work so 44 miles a day rarely doing shorter than 30 min drives.
I'm very similar to this case. I do 46 miles a day, usually, commuting to work is about 30-35 minutes.

I have had my car since Beginning of June, I've done near 7000 miles, and my oil is at 56%.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LimeyUK said:
agoodley said:
CraigExcite93 said:
Hi Guys,

Any help is appreciated!
I'm very similar to this case. I do 46 miles a day, usually, commuting to work is about 30-35 minutes.

I have had my car since Beginning of June, I've done near 7000 miles, and my oil is at 56%.
Exactly, so I'm thinking the reason why CraigExcite93 has such low oil percentage for so little miles is due to the 3-4 mile trips that he is doing. I don't think the oil through to the sump is fully warmed through till about 20-25 minutes of driving, I use that as a rule of thumb.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had mine since April and mines on 49% after just under 1800 miles and I'm travelling about 5 miles a day

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
skyblue1969 said:
I've had mine since April and mines on 49% after just under 1800 miles and I'm travelling about 5 miles a day
You should be careful in winter with driving such short journeys - unless you have a longer journey every now and then, chances are that your battery will run flat due to no chance to recharge.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've now done 13K miles and mine is down to 35%

It dropped alot a couple of weeks ago when I had a week off work for the kids half term. Normally my 125 mile commute to work is on motorway, A roads and empty rural lanes. My oil life only dropped very slow on those commutes but while off work we used the car to go into town and city and oil life dropped 3x as fast as it normally drops. It had dropped 3% in one week (100 miles local driving) it normally only drops 10% a month (1800 miles commute)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd done 13k when I got the message last Friday saying oil change needed and checked my oil life which was at 5%.....I've done 600 miles this week and it's now on 1%.......first annual service not due until the end of February. ..I have a service plan so I'm thinking of seeing if Vauxhall will do my service early?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts