Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
liverpaul said:
so my car's oil level since ive had it is 37%. do i have to get a service done or just top it up with oil? i puzzled as to my its so low for a new car.
The %age isnt oil level, its oil "life" i.e. Quality, so when it gets to 0% the oil is dirty and has no quality left, get it serviced when it hits 0%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Mine was at 47% last week, about 11K miles on the clock at that point. I'm on target for needing an oil change at around 18K miles I guess.

What miles have you done Liverpaul?

Oil life drops much faster if car is used for lots of very short trips. (sub 3 mile) Mine drops like a stone when my wife uses the car for shopping trips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Mine was at 47% last week, about 11K miles on the clock at that point. I'm on target for needing an oil change at around 18K miles I guess.

What miles have you done Liverpaul?

Oil life drops much faster if car is used for lots of very short trips. (sub 3 mile) Mine drops like a stone when my wife uses the car for shopping trips.
Yep, I'm on about 4900 miles and my oil life is 47% and I seldom do any driving other than 10 miles up the motorway in rush hour in the morning and 10 miles back in evening rush hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
I'm on similar to Hendrys mileage, but mines 68%. I do 16 mile commutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Mine should be in line with Limey's as I do around 15miles/each way per day and does it require 'topping up' or completely draining, else in which case you could be potentially servicing your car every like 8000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Matthew said:
Mine should be in line with Limey's as I do around 15miles/each way per day and does it require 'topping up' or completely draining, else in which case you could be potentially servicing your car every like 8000 miles.
When it gets to 0% you don't top it up, you put the car in for a service, the first one will basically be a load of checks plus drain old oil, refit sump plug with a new washer, remove and replace oil filter with a new one and then refill with new oil.

Yes you could be servicing your car every 8000 miles, that's the point of the oil life display, in older cars with set intervals of say 1 year/20,000 miles for all, some cars due to the type of driving that's been done could reduce the quality of the oil much quicker than others due to the extra stresses of short trips, start/stop driving, constantly being driven from cold and not warmed up properly etc which is why mud4fun will get a lot more miles out of his car before it needs a service because he's doing long, unstressed distances at a constant speed which allow the engine to get to operating temp and stay there for prolonged periods of time which is much better for the engine. I will likely need a service after doing a lot less miles too.

Thus is another reason I don't understand how low mileage cars are so sought after and command such a premium, many of them will have engines which have had a much harder life than something with high motorway miles which has been used properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I have spoken to Vauxhall about this and was told that when the oil life reaches 0 it's an oil and filter change not a service a service is done at either 20k or 12 months. So you could end up with oil change at 8k and a service at 10k. I've done 4500 and oil life is at 62% it did drop fast when I first got the car but seems to have slowed down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
LOL, an oil and filter change was a service in the old days. There may have been lubrication and fluid checks too but the main part of a service was the oil change. They used to do minor services and major. The minor was the oil change.

My Corsa will probably reach 12 months before oil life gets to zero as we won't be using the Corsa as much through winter, The Land Rovers will get used more often then.

I change the oil on the old Land Rovers every 3K miles to keep engines in good health as they are mostly used on short local journeys. Their engines are 40-60 years old and back then 3K miles was standard service interval :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
what else do they do now apart from oil change? when I serviced cars it was plugs clean and adjust or change, points (always changed never filed), new condenser, set the timing, brush out the drums (breathe in the asbestos) poke around for holes in the box sections, grease the suspension and prop nipples, top up diff and gearbox. Absolutely nothing happens now, they even estimate pad wear. rip off for 140 quid!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
It only costs me about £60 to do a full service on the Land Rover and that includes 5 ltr engine oil, 3 ltr gearbox oil, 2 ltr transfer case oil, 3 ltr axle and swivel oils, two fuel filters and oil filter.

£140 is a rip off for a Corsa!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
yes and if you don't pay, no warranty.

There was also the "first 500 mile" oil change and head bolt tighten after "running in".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Pretty sure they do an oil change as part of the minor service still...

At least I'm sure they do at my dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
My oil life according to Onstar is 99% even though the car hasn't even moved and only has 14 miles on it. Surely this should be 100%? It was since last week and as far as I'm aware it hasn't moved seen as the miles are still the same so how could it drop 1% from sitting still?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
My oil life according to Onstar is 99% even though the car hasn't even moved and only has 14 miles on it. Surely this should be 100%? It was since last week and as far as I'm aware it hasn't moved seen as the miles are still the same so how could it drop 1% from sitting still?
No one really knows how it's calculated. It could have just been left running for ages.

When you get it, it will be 100% as they'll reset it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Matthew said:
My oil life according to Onstar is 99% even though the car hasn't even moved and only has 14 miles on it. Surely this should be 100%? It was since last week and as far as I'm aware it hasn't moved seen as the miles are still the same so how could it drop 1% from sitting still?
No one really knows how it's calculated. It could have just been left running for ages.

When you get it, it will be 100% as they'll reset it.
That's bizarre, oil is oil and obviously you don't want it to run low so check using he dip-stick but being honest it doesn't seem to make any sense - I hope so else I may just get them to make it 100% even though no one knows what it is?! Phaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
As Hendry has already stated, oil life has absolutely nothing to do with oil level.

Turbo engines run very high combustion chamber temperatures which degrades oil rapidly. The turbo itself runs on a film of oil as does the crankshaft, connecting rods etc.

If your oil degrades so it provides no lubrication then your engine will be F*cked. Oil also becomes contaminated with tiny particles of dirt, especially if people are stupid and fit free flow filters. Those tiny bits of dirt will destroy your turbo, main bearing or big ends.

The oil life is an indicator of how knackered, degraded and dirty your oil is and how close you are to doing permanent long term damage to your engine. It is based on factory stock engines. If you have fitted free flow filters and after market exhausts you may need to change oil alot sooner to avoid damage. Free flow exhaust reduce back pressure on the combustion chamber and can also hinder efficient removal of waste products from the combustion chamber which can also degrade oil quicker. Meddle at your peril.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Therefore you wait until it gets to like 20% rather than 0?! As 0 would therefore imply it's gog absolutely no use and the engine is grinding itself to bits? Mine doesn't have a turbo so presumably it'll decrease less and I won't change anything in relation to exhausts or engine parts... So it should last a while
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top