Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, notice this morning that the Chrome was pealing from the Front Top of my Handbrake Release Button and was cutting into my thumb when Button pressed in. Handbrake being replaced under Warranty early next week? wonder how long the next one will last.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
same happened to me on the steering wheel badge on my last one. It cut my palm. Its a major fault if you are injured. They should replace it on warranty. Photograph and show them your thumb. they gave me a replacement £700 airbag unit!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'll keep my eye out for this issue then, sounds like it could be painful!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jarviser, I was lucky as I stopped pressing before it cut into my skin but made me vary wary each time I press in the button until the brake handle is changed on Tuesday morning. Thought the Service Guy was quick to place an order for me Under Warranty? never thought about the personal injuries side? will be happy as long as its fixed & doesn't occur again ?? which is my main concern at the moment. VX are obviously aware of this possible occurrence.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Derek

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Ian

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mud4fun said:
Hi Derek

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Ian
Thanks Ian, must admit never had this sort of problem before & got to wear gloves until its replaced as nearly cut into me thumb again tonight ? but I'm thick skinned and sensitive to any sharp objects fortunately.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delboy_Lee said:
Hi guys, notice this morning that the Chrome was pealing from the Front Top of my Handbrake Release Button and was cutting into my thumb when Button pressed in. Handbrake being replaced under Warranty early next week? wonder how long the next one will last.
Went to VX Eden, Fareham to have replacement Handbrake fitted this morning ?? guess what ?? Part still on "Back Order" from Germany ?? so was not too impressed ? but must admit I was initially concerned that it would not arrive on the time stated. Have asked to be emailed when it arrives so can re-arrange a fitting date.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Delboy_Lee said:
Delboy_Lee said:
Went to VX Eden, Fareham to have replacement Handbrake fitted this morning ?? guess what ?? Part still on "Back Order" from Germany ?? so was not too impressed ? but must admit I was initially concerned that it would not arrive on the time stated. Have asked to be emailed when it arrives so can re-arrange a fitting date.
Quick update, contacted garage this morning & still no delivery forecast for replacement Handbrake ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing has happened to me.

The Vauxhall dealership where I got it from, and the start of a flaking was there, have said that they will repaint the button ( it wont be chrome, it will be black) instead of replacing the whole handbrake as it isnt a mechanical fault.

After "discussing" it, this is all they are prepared to do. Cheap comes to mind.
Its better than nothing and I'll get a warranty on this as if it doens't last then they need to do a complete replacement.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi DuncanL sorry to read you too have had the same problem, thought I had updated on here that eventually I had the whole handbrake assembly replaced under warranty in August 2016 and all has been ok since. be interesting to see how you get on with a repainted job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Delboy
Its was just out of Warranty when I bought it 2nd hand ( At Underwoods Sudbury).
I'll let you know what happens, but I get the feeling that unless they can ensure that it will work better than nail varnish, I'll walk away and just pay it myself at my local Underwoods Tiptree.

Other than that the 2015 5Dr Corsa is better ( more or less ) that replaced my 2007 3Dr Corsa that started to leak oil from the sump plug after KwikFit did the service.
Cars eh?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine went suddenly last week. Very sharp! Having read Delboy's tale, rather than all the hassle I decided to mould a new thumb "face" with black Sugru.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On reflection, rather than have a repaint in black, that will look wrong if I come to sell, and it might not last anyway, I think I will live with it for a bit, save up and get it done right with a new unit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Their about £20-£30 on ebay, easy swap job if you have the right tools.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If there's a common fault the likelihood is it's also on any pre owned stuff from broken up vehicles.
Some of those ebay ones look manky. Stinky nicotine stained leather. Yuk!

https://sugru.com

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good point, I haven't checked fitment but I'd be willing to guess the Corsa D handbrake (where I've never heard of this issue) is the same assembly so could use one of them if so. I'll check mine when I get a mo to compare.

It could just be a faulty batch of the buttons made, I don't 'think' we have this on our 2 E's (early 2016's), though i'll have a look now it's been brought to my attention...

·
Registered
393 Posts
The chrome is sticking to the copper layer but the copper is peeling off the white ABS button. Superglue in the gap and push down with a cocktail stick almost did it. Then I sanded it and it lifted again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DuncanL said:
On reflection, rather than have a repaint in black, that will look wrong if I come to sell, and it might not last anyway, I think I will live with it for a bit, save up and get it done right with a new unit.
I gentle sanded the 'sharp' bit, and then put a couple of coats of clear nail varnish to protect it/ prevent it get any worse. Seems okay until I can save up to replace the whole unit, and hopefully it will not have what might be a bad batch of buttons, if what srihaggis said is right, my Corsa is 2015.
Cheers for everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
391 Posts
checked both of ours (both Q1 2016 builds) and they seem fine, 1.4T @ 17,000miles is Fine, 1.4 Auto @ 5000miles also fine... and so it should be for that pittance of a mileage.

Comparing it to my Corsa D (08 plate 84000miles), it looks more or less identical, but not checked any of the fastners. just exterior aesthetics, though I did notice on my E 1.4T it is VERY wobbly in a sideways motion - anyone elses like this?

·
Registered
339 Posts
My car is from August 15', have done approx 37k miles, and nothing has started to peal yet.
You who are experiencing pealing, are using jewelry like rings on your fingers or anything? Because that could be the to why it's pealing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts