Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just received my Corsa Sting on Friday, realized it has the puncture repair foam in the boot but would feel more comfortable by having a spare wheel. Not looking to spend a fortune so been looking on ebay/gumtree, was wondering what size wheel will fit in the boot. Do I have to get a space saver or could I fit a full wheel in. Also would it be possible to get one from another car such as a punto, does the wheel have to be the same size as my 16 inch alloys?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Harry09 said:
Hi,
Just received my Corsa Sting on Friday, realized it has the puncture repair foam in the boot but would feel more comfortable by having a spare wheel. Not looking to spend a fortune so been looking on ebay/gumtree, was wondering what size wheel will fit in the boot. Do I have to get a space saver or could I fit a full wheel in. Also would it be possible to get one from another car such as a punto, does the wheel have to be the same size as my 16 inch alloys?
Thanks
Not sure if it applies to Stings too, but the Excite can fit a full size spare in it. Ive seen some around for £130ish for a full size steel wheel&tyre. Though for an Excite that is a 16" wheel.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I bought a Corsa D SXi 16" alloy off eBay for £50 delivered, even by the time I've had it refurbed and powder coated black (so it doesn't stick out when fitted with my black alloys) and a new tyre fitted it'll still be cheaper than buying a brand new space saver and tyre or brand new 15" steelie and tyre.

I'm not keen on the idea of a space saver, so instead of the 15" I was as well going for the 16" then instead of having to rush to get the tyre replaced, go at a reduced speed etc I can just do it at my leisure as I'll still have a wheel with same size tyre same rim size width etc as my stock wheels.

It does fit in the well, the well is a 15" with 185/60/15 tyre, the 16" with 195/55/16 is a similar diameter, I'd guess the 17" will probably fit owing to similar size diameter.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
hendry said:
It does fit in the well, the well is a 15" with 185/60/15 tyre, the 16" with 195/55/16 is a similar diameter, I'd guess the 17" will probably fit owing to similar size diameter.
Yeah, all the various tyre/wheel options work out about the same diameter because as the wheel diameter increases the sidewall profile shrinks. the 17" wheels are fitted with 45 profile tyres and despite the extra width they work out only a few mm different in size to the 16" wheel option with the 195 tyres so should all fit fine in the well. I will find out soon as should be getting my winter tyres in the next month or two and will carry one of them as a spare. I'm doing similar to you Hendry, going for black alloys and winter tyres of same size as my summer tyres so that if I do have to use one I can get the 120 miles home at night without having to worry about going really slow or having the tyre repaired immediately.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I got a full size black 16" spare, with a jack, fits perfectly in the well - £130, pretty good price for a brand new wheel+tyre & Jack.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
anthony said:
all cars have calipers on the front, i got a space saver from an Astra and that clears the calipers fine
Nope, 4 of my 5 vehicles have drums on front :mrgreen:

Your Astra wheel is probably a 15 or 16" Anthony. The ebay link was a 14" which I doubt would fit an E.

In any case I would never fit a spare that was different in size to my main wheels/tyres. If I got a puncture while working 200 miles from home it would not be safe to drive back on the motorway with mismatched wheels/tyres. The handling would be seriously effected if I had a 215/45R17 on one side and something like a 185/60R14 on the other.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
anthony said:
fair enough Ian good point ( i meant to say all modern Vauxhalls have calipers on the front)
Yeah I knew that, just thought it was funny. You'd probably be correct for 99% of cars. I just happen to have four classic cars :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.