Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a day off work today so I thought id go for a drive, as I've only done town and main road driving so far I thought id go for a drive round some of the back roads.

First thing that stood out for me was the sports suspension, while it took the off camber tight corners very well I also found that on the bumpy uneven lanes it didn't feel like it was going to shake the car to bits it was quite a smooth ride (my previous corsa D diesel was shocking on these roads)

Secondly the 1.0T engine pulled nicely out of the bends and didn't feel out of place or lacking any grunt.

It was a nice fun drive without going mad and breaking any laws :)

Well done VX the sting R is just about right without bring the old boy racer out of me lol (apart from the two black strips)

(have to admit I do wonder what the 1.4T would feel like in the same situation)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Agreed the sports suspension is great. I honestly see no need for the comfort chassis as I drive on alot of rough surfaced rural roads (we live in the sticks) and neither my wife or I find it too firm. Even with whole family on board it is very comfortable. I've even driven down a 'green lane' to get a photo and Dafny handled mud, ruts and deep pot holes without issue. OK, not quite as easily or quickly as my Land Rover but still acceptable :)

The 1.4T loves these sort of rural roads but can all too easily get you in trouble!

Did you record the mpg for your rural road drive?

I'm curious to know how the 1.0T compared to the 1.4T in various situations. I took a gamble with the 1.4T as gut feeling was it would perform better on the sort of roads I drive. However both my wife and eldest daughter may get a Corsa soon and the 1.0T may be better suited to them. My eldest lives in Hull so would be doing alot of city driving but the odd long A road/country lane trip and my wife does mostly short local trips on rural roads or in town. I've not seen anybody posting too many mpg results for the 1.0T, especially urban ones. I would have thought it would be much better than my 1.4T? My eldest might have to go with a 1.2 though for cheap insurance. I haven't seen any mpg figures posted for the 1.2!

·
Registered
501 Posts
i could imagine the the tight twisty roads, cant wait.

on the way to work on a dual carriageway it was empty no cars in sight. came to the lights and few moments came and this car was approaching, at speed. closer and closer it came i look at the lights and the bam! green, go go go! he must of been a good 5 car lengths behind when i put my foot down. he got closer and closer pretty fast before i was in third and i started to pull away, 4th just crusied away down the road before we met at the next set of lights, his mate looking and him what car we had as they slower went past. i gave the Clarkson smug look and parted routes

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
JamesRogan said:
I feel the same regarding the 1.4t as I never got the chance to test drive one! But still more than happy with the 1.0t
James, I couldn't test a 1.4T Corsa either. I had to order mine blind with just gut instinct to go on. I suspect that they were trying to promote 1.0T's as they needed to recoup development costs? Vauxhall have to have the 1.0T in order to meet EU emission targets which they won't achieve by only offering the 1.4T.

It seemed great on my test drive in urban conditions but I just had a nagging doubt about using it for my 250 mile commute. To be honest, in most cases there is probably nothing in it between the two, you and I have achieved near identical mpg figures for example.

It is only when you want to 'play' that the difference is more obvious with the 1.4T offering more grunt at 3K'ish rpm but running out of steam quite quickly so needing to change up whereas the 1.0T would pull longer in a lower gear to higher rpm. My driving style, being used to big diesel pickup trucks, suits the 1.4T but it will not suit everybody. The 1.0T in my limited experience of it suits drivers used to petrol cars?

If you are ever up this way I'd be happy to take you out for a spin to see what it performs like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mud4fun said:
My eldest might have to go with a 1.2 though for cheap insurance. I haven't seen any mpg figures posted for the 1.2!
Hi Ian, i've got a 1.2 and the official figures are 42.3mpg Urban, 61.4mpg Extra Urban and 52.3mpg combined.

Personally, i've been getting between 32 and 40mpg around town depending on the length of the trip and how warm the engine is. Highest mpg i've managed was 51 down a stretch of motorway and dualcarriage ways allowing me to keep it in 5th :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
ANTsting-R said:
I didn't get chance to record the mpg as there isn't a trip computer on the car
Balls, sorry I forgot :oops:

It should be fitted as standard on all models!! It would probably do more for reducing emissions than any government scheme. It becomes a game to beat your previous best mpg and makes it fun to drive economically too :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mud4fun said:
ANTsting-R said:
I didn't get chance to record the mpg as there isn't a trip computer on the car
Balls, sorry I forgot :oops:

It should be fitted as standard on all models!! It would probably do more for reducing emissions than any government scheme. It becomes a game to beat your previous best mpg and makes it fun to drive economically too :)
Ive had them before on previous cars and it was always a game to get the best figures possible:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
mud4fun said:
Thanks Jordan, much appreciated! Not too bad then really especially as the insurance will be cheaper. :)
Its much cheaper! :lol: Im paying in the area of £700 a year for insurance on the 1.2 which isnt bad for a 19 year old lad with a brand new car :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That is really cheap Jordan. I will let my eldest daughter know. Whereabouts in the country are you? I assume it is a low insurance risk area? Can I ask which insurer too?

At that low cost I'm sure you can forgive the slight lack in performance of the 1.2 for the sheer amount of money you'll be saving over a turbo model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in a smallish town in Nottinghamshire so I wouldnt think its high risk :) im with LV. Saw a great deal on Compare the Market and just had to ring them up as soon as i saw it to make sure it wasnt a typo :lol: even with my parents insured on it i was still expecting it to be much higher than it is :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
mud4fun said:
JamesRogan said:
I feel the same regarding the 1.4t as I never got the chance to test drive one! But still more than happy with the 1.0t
James, I couldn't test a 1.4T Corsa either. I had to order mine blind with just gut instinct to go on. I suspect that they were trying to promote 1.0T's as they needed to recoup development costs? Vauxhall have to have the 1.0T in order to meet EU emission targets which they won't achieve by only offering the 1.4T.

It seemed great on my test drive in urban conditions but I just had a nagging doubt about using it for my 250 mile commute. To be honest, in most cases there is probably nothing in it between the two, you and I have achieved near identical mpg figures for example.

It is only when you want to 'play' that the difference is more obvious with the 1.4T offering more grunt at 3K'ish rpm but running out of steam quite quickly so needing to change up whereas the 1.0T would pull longer in a lower gear to higher rpm. My driving style, being used to big diesel pickup trucks, suits the 1.4T but it will not suit everybody. The 1.0T in my limited experience of it suits drivers used to petrol cars?

If you are ever up this way I'd be happy to take you out for a spin to see what it performs like.
It would be very interesting to compare the two, because you can definitely feel it start to pull more at 4k rpm than lower down. Thanks for that offer I do go down Lincolnshire every now and then and I was actually down the other week! So I will message you next time I'm down :D. It just cruised down the A15 (straightest road ever) no fuss at all. Maybe a few members would be up for a car meet at some point in the future as this forum is quickly expanding!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
James, that will be fine. PM me next time you will be in the area and we'll see if we can meet up.

It would also be interesting to have both cars follow each other on the exact same routes to compare mpg. That way there would be minimal variables and we would be comparing like for like conditions and speeds. Maybe a thing for the summer. I can't remember where you are in the country but I'm often down near Coventry and Birmingham so could always make a detour on the way home too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.