Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about two weeks a go i had a little accident thanks to a rangerover sport cutting me off so i crashed into a curb at 35MPH and here are the damages and costs:
The drivers wing: £400 incl paint (carbon flash)
The drivers side wish bone: £111.50
alloy wheel ( exite 16 inch) £159
drop link drivers side £36
track rod end £50
steering rack £393!!
and 6 hours labour and it came to final price of £1999.80 with some other bits
so yeah some parts where ordered from germany.
what do you guys think about crashing at that speed to a curb?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sounds about right. A friend recently crashed his BMW in very similar way and suffered very similar set of damage and his repair bill was 5K! He was very fortunate not to have his car written off as it was 4 years old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hirbod1375 said:
what do you guys think about crashing at that speed to a curb?
Should've gone into the Range Rover instead and let their insurance foot the bill (assuming it's been paid for by you or your insurance as a single car incident).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the range rover did actually hit my bumper and set off but not any visible damage on it. And i decided to pay for it myself haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mud4fun said:
Sounds about right. A friend recently crashed his BMW in very similar way and suffered very similar set of damage and his repair bill was 5K! He was very fortunate not to have his car written off as it was 4 years old.
5K??!!!!! thats a lot of money for the damage, and also the problem with the rack was the rack end which he couldn't find ( had to order some parts from Germany opel). i hope his car is fine now :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes crazy repair costs. To be fair he needed a new wing too but even so...

I think they make the cars deliberately weak so that the car absorbs an impact rather than you. However often in relatively low speed impacts I'd rather live with some bruises and have my car remain in one piece! ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mud4fun said:

I think they make the cars deliberately weak so that the car absorbs an impact rather than you. However often in relatively low speed impacts I'd rather live with some bruises and have my car remain in one piece! ;-)
haha true, i mean thats about 3 months of my savings and also a loan to fix since I'm a student and working haha!!! and also vauxhall can charge what they want right now since this car has no aftermarket parts. my mechanic found a second hand 800 mile crosa with the parts together for £350 but then it was from a SRI-VX line and mine is a exite so thats why we got the parts from vauxhall. other wise it would have been sporty on one side and comfy on the other side of the car haha :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
hirbod1375 said:
mud4fun said:

haha true, i mean thats about 3 months of my savings and also a loan to fix since I'm a student and working haha!!! and also vauxhall can charge what they want right now since this car has no aftermarket parts. my mechanic found a second hand 800 mile crosa with the parts together for £350 but then it was from a SRI-VX line and mine is a exite so thats why we got the parts from vauxhall. other wise it would have been sporty on one side and comfy on the other side of the car haha :lol: :lol: :lol:
Probably not to be honest, other than the wheel the rest of the stuff off the SRi VX-Line would probably have been identical to those fitted to your Excite. None of the stuff you damaged and had to replace as far as I know isnt anything that forms part of the comfort or sports chassis as I reckon engineering different steering racks, wishbones and so on between a car with sports suspension and one without would be very costly for Vauxhall to develop and so on.

As said above, I wouldn't have hit the kerb to avoid hitting the Range Rover, I'd have smacked into him, but maybe I'm evil that way and think if someone's dangerous manoeuvre was going to cause damage to my car they deserve their car being damaged too.

Two things I will say, you don't really want aftermarket parts or non genuine on your brand new car, I know I wouldn't and aftermarket suspension components are very hit and miss, some are OE quality others are cheap rubbish that wears out quickly. £36 is expensive for a drop link though, usually even genuine ones from a dealer are about £10-15 for other Vauxhalls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True tbh, but then I saw the SRI VX has "sports suspension" and though you know don't want the car to be lower on one side haha, but then I just found out my rack is the VX line... And it is a little heavier than the standard one. And thw car seems to be more sharp than before. Not sure if that's me or the car

·
Registered
961 Posts
hirbod1375 said:
True tbh, but then I saw the SRI VX has "sports suspension" and though you know don't want the car to be lower on one side haha, but then I just found out my rack is the VX line... And it is a little heavier than the standard one. And thw car seems to be more sharp than before. Not sure if that's me or the car
I think you missed my point, its the springs, shocks and dampers which will make the suspension lower or sportier, not steering rack, wishbones, track rod ends or droplinks, I'd imagine they will be the same from a 1.2 Life to a VXR. So it won't matter what maxdel you get those parts from, they will all be the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no idea how to link posts but the damage report i got back on my car was only just over £2000 for repairs including the labour

1 - 11 of 11 Posts