Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've just ordered the VXR so I'm selling off all my stuff I had on my 1.4 to get it to 180bhp. Here is the intercooler with custom fitting pipework and mounting brackets, it'll fit straight on a 1.4t Corsa E behind the bumper without any modifications and has the mount for the MAP sensor (VERY IMPORTANT as no other kits have this - this was custom CNC'd!)

It's on ebay starting price of £250 get bidding!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/151763604501?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It is alot of money to spend on a VXR for just an extra 20PS over what you have already on your 1.4T? (on top of lost money on your LE)

I'm also considering a VXR but as a second vehicle in addition to my LE.

I went to look at a VXR at my local dealer last weekend and to be honest I wasn't that impressed. It sat higher off the road than my LE, looked boring (for a VXR) and was not sufficiently different in looks or specification to my LE to warrant the extra money other than power which you already have. The options such as leather seats and performance pack take the total to £21K. I was quite disappointed really, it doesn't look as nice as the VXR D with its vents, different mirrors etc. You are basically paying all that extra cash just for the recaro seats and flat bottom wheel which are the only real differences to the LE.

Is there a specific reason you are swapping to the VXR? I'm curious as I'm going through a decision dilemma!! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In complete honesty mate it's he exhausts that do it for me, you can't physically fit them to any car but the VXR either because if you look at the underside of the VXR it doesn't have the spare wheel well allowing for the resonator of the rear exhaust and it's not all about the bhp either the VXR has nearly 300nM of torque and mine just touches 200 so it'll accelerate much faster (naturally since it's got 1.6) and the gains after I get the VXR mapped will be about 300bhp

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, I did look at the underside because I was measuring the ramp break over angle to see if it would get on my drive. The centre section of the VXR has a tiny box which means there is at least an inch more ground clearance than my LE which has a huge centre box that hangs down really low and keeps scraping the pavement.

BTW bhp is measured at the flywheel before transmission losses not at the wheels. Yours was dyno'd so I assume the 180 is actually hp at the wheels not bhp which would be approx 20% higher.

The VXR doesn't make 300nm, factory spec is 280nm peak and that is under overboost conditions which last 5 seconds. In all other circumstances it is about 245Nm which is only 45Nm more than the 1.4T 100PS generates as standard and is no more than your remapped 1.4T produces already according to your previously posted dyno results. In fact the VXR doesn't produce any more torque at 2K rpm than the stock 1.4T! So unless you're revving the b*ll*cks out of the engine you won't be gaining much over what you already have.

I'm not so sure it is worth the change. I'm thinking of saving some money up and going for an Astra VXR instead which would gives us more room too.

My old 4.6 litre V8 Land Rover produced twice the torque of the VXR Corsa and did 0-60 a second faster so for me those figures are not that impressive. I expected more for a supposedly performance car at that price!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mind you, my V8 Land Rover used to do 10mpg when thrashed and at best 24mpg when driven like a granny!

The VXR Corsa should do 24mpg when thrashed and 45mpg when driven like a granny! ;-)

·
Registered
455 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yes, I did look at the underside because I was measuring the ramp break over angle to see if it would get on my drive. The centre section of the VXR has a tiny box which means there is at least an inch more ground clearance than my LE which has a huge centre box that hangs down really low and keeps scraping the pavement.

BTW bhp is measured at the flywheel before transmission losses not at the wheels. Yours was dyno'd so I assume the 180 is actually hp at the wheels not bhp which would be approx 20% higher.

The VXR doesn't make 300nm, factory spec is 280nm peak and that is under overboost conditions which last 5 seconds. In all other circumstances it is about 245Nm which is only 45Nm more than the 1.4T 100PS generates as standard and is no more than your remapped 1.4T produces already according to your previously posted dyno results. In fact the VXR doesn't produce any more torque at 2K rpm than the stock 1.4T! So unless you're revving the b*ll*cks out of the engine you won't be gaining much over what you already have.

I'm not so sure it is worth the change. I'm thinking of saving some money up and going for an Astra VXR instead which would gives us more room too.

My old 4.6 litre V8 Land Rover produced twice the torque of the VXR Corsa and did 0-60 a second faster so for me those figures are not that impressive. I expected more for a supposedly performance car at that price!
You know your stuff, I was interested in the VXR as well as the LE but I've you've thankfully settled my decision either way. I like Astra's (we have a LE Astra) although I find that the visibility isn't great which meant I went for the Corsa instead.

Without searching as you'll probably know, whats the main differences between the 1.4 and 1.4T as I went for the one naturally without the Turbo as I couldn't weigh up much difference based on the type of driving I do (5-10 minutes per day on the motorway during rush-hour and most of it's 40-50 if you're lucky). Bar the extra gear & start-stop.

Someone at work who has a Corsa D 1.7L which shifts, I've been behind her on a slip road and that thing's like a rocket for what it's worth. Anything better than my ancient 1.6 Golf (Think 0-60 is 13-14seconds *at new*, which I believe the 1.4 actually is - is a positive.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Completely agree Mud. The VXR is not impressive in the slightest, it's actually relatively slow for a supposed hot hatch too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
LimeyUK said:
Completely agree Mud. The VXR is not impressive in the slightest, it's actually relatively slow for a supposed hot hatch too.
Lol. really? Its damn quick for a super mini which is the bracket id put it in, especially compared to the ford fiesta st. The Astra VXR to me is a hot hatch.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ghoman87 said:
LimeyUK said:
Lol. really? Its damn quick for a super mini which is the bracket id put it in, especially compared to the ford fiesta st. The Astra VXR to me is a hot hatch.
The corsa itself is a Super Mini. The VXR is a hot hatch - it even says on the VX site.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ghoman87 said:
Yes really. It is very slow considering it has 205PS at the wheels in a small car.

In comparison I've had full size family saloon and estate cars with half that power that could do 0-60 as fast as the VXR.

Eg. MG Montego turbo 2.0 petrol, mildly tuned 150bhp (at flywheel) so 110hp'ish at wheels after transmission losses did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds actual.

Peugeot 205 GTX Estate 2.0 petrol, mapped to 150hp at wheels, 0-60 in 7 seconds.

Toyota Supra 3.0 twin turbo petrol, approx 240bhp, weighed a massive 1650Kg but still did 0-60 in sub 7 seconds.

Finally my 1850Kg 4.6 litre V8 normally aspirated Land Rover Defender with permanent 4WD, full off road race spec roll cage and 33" mud tyres had 240bhp (flywheel) with approx 35% losses through 4wd transmission but did 0-60 in 6 seconds, faster than a VXR!

So while the VXR does indeed compare favourably with Fiesta ST it is slow considering its power to weight ratio compared to far bigger, heavier and in some cases significantly less powerful cars that I've previously owned.

The problem I think is threefold, the gearing is oddly spaced, the Corsa has trouble getting that huge power to the tarmac and it is too heavy for its size. Needs to go on a diet and get down to 1000kg from that very fat 1250Kg! :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not saying the VXR isn't quick, clearly it is. I'm simply saying it is not as quick as it should be for its size and power. :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Matthew said:
Without searching as you'll probably know, whats the main differences between the 1.4 and 1.4T as I went for the one naturally without the Turbo as I couldn't weigh up much difference
Sorry Matthew, only just noticed your post above.

The difference is the 1.4T has approx 60% more torque between 2000-4000rpm then the 1.4na. You'll notice that difference if you have 4 people on board or go up some steep hills :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Think I made the right choice then! Lots of hills on our little Island, and I found in the 1.4n/a that it lacked a bit going up hill!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Matthew said:
Without searching as you'll probably know, whats the main differences between the 1.4 and 1.4T as I went for the one naturally without the Turbo as I couldn't weigh up much difference
Sorry Matthew, only just noticed your post above.

The difference is the 1.4T has approx 60% more torque between 2000-4000rpm then the 1.4na. You'll notice that difference if you have 4 people on board or go up some steep hills :)
The 1.4T has a quicker 0-62 and a slightly higher top speed doesn't it? At least I'm sure I've read that somewhere :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts