Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the stop/start nearly killing me this morning I do have some good news!

Dafny managed to do 523 miles on a tank (actually just 40 litres to fill her up) and was still showing 70 odd miles range left when I filled her up this morning after the red light came on, giving a theoretical range of 600 miles at a steady 60mph on the motorway.

Her trip showed 60mpg over that 523 miles but her actual was just 58.5mpg on fuelly but still the most accurate figure to date, usually they are 6-8% different.

It was far from perfect conditions too as most of the mileage was done at night with lights, heaters and wipers on, big traffic jams on the motorway and high winds on one leg of my commute too. She was also used a couple of times in short local trips to town.

While I've had 72mpg out of her before on a shorter motorway run, this is the best mpg over such a long distance and I'm quite happy with that. For those interested the previous fillup was Shell unleaded which is what she got this best in tank on.

Car Speedometer Gauge Mode of transport Odometer

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LeachiE said:
Thanks, I was just reading that! Proper 'clean pants required' moment there. Really not good at all.
This is the reason I hate these silly gadgets in cars, they go wrong all too often.

The 1.4T 100PS is a simply stunning engine and combined with the excellent 6 speed box it makes the Corsa a great car to drive and with awesome mpg for a petrol car. Such as a shame that they don't allow you to order a 1.4T LE without S/S as I never wanted S/S anyway. :-(

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stevewolves said:
Brilliant !! So glad i picked this car/ engine combination !!
Yep, it is a great engine and gearbox combination.

Drive it like a diesel and keep the revs in its torque band at around 1800-2200 rpm when driving and mpg is awesome. Just use the engines torque in the mid range rather than revving high. :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Awesome!

My car was in the garage on Thursday to get a few things looked at, it went in at 46mpg and I got it back on 39mpg! They'd obviously been ragging it up and down the road!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LimeyUK said:
Awesome!

My car was in the garage on Thursday to get a few things looked at, it went in at 46mpg and I got it back on 39mpg! They'd obviously been ragging it up and down the road!
LOL, it is why I try to avoid taking cars into garages. I'd rather maintain them myself. Too many monkeys work in garages these days with no respect for peoples property. When I collected Dafny she had about 5 miles on the clock and was showing something like 22mpg on the trip. Knowing how economical she is in my hands suggests they must have been thrashing the hell out of her at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I managed to get 55mpg over a 1.5mile 30mph stretch on the way home from work today! Can't wait to get the Corsa and see what she is capable of!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remember that you need to be doing a long journey to get good average figure on the trip.

If you do a very short journey your average will be very low even if you get 70mpg on the immediate readout for most of the drive. The reason is that the time and distance taken to accelerate upto cruising speed have a far bigger impact on a short journey than a long one. While accelerating the 1.4T may only be getting 15-20mpg. It takes a good few miles driving at steady speed to counteract that initial heavy use of fuel.

For example, today I filled up with fuel, reset my trip and immediately drove onto motorway and maintained 58-60mph, showing 60-70mpg on the immediate. However it took a full 20 miles before the average mpg on the trip climbed to 60mpg. After 10 miles it was still showing about 50mpg!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.