Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected my car at lunchtime today but haven't had a chance to go anywhere scenic for some decent pictures so they will follow over the weekend. I thought I'd put these up now to show you quite how different the colour is in real life compared to the configurator. My wife and I both love the colour and it is certainly distinctive, different and very bright! but it is in no way, shape or form 'green' or anything like the colour shown on the VX website!

Despite my only driving in her (she is named Dafny by the way, I know it is spelt wrong but it actually refers to a piece of software as well as a girls name) from the dealer back to home and then another run out later this afternoon I've managed to rack up 75 miles today already!

It will take me a while to get used to driving her as I've mostly driven large rear wheel drive diesel 4x4 pickup trucks and classic Land Rovers for 25 years and not driven a petrol car for the last 15 years. Thankfully the 1.4T is just what I'd hoped for, very diesel like in its power and torque delivery which means within a few miles I was already loving it :D It does suffer from quite some torque steer under hard acceleration on roundabouts (compared to zero from my rear wheel drive trucks) but when driven gently it cruises in 6th gear from far lower speeds than I would have imagined and showed no signs of being laboured.

Out of the 75 miles done today, 15 miles were in horrendous traffic jams and slow moving town centre traffic through Grimsby and Cleethorpes due to roadworks. I did one end of Grimsby to the other end of Cleethorpes twice today in heavy traffic and the rest was a mix of country lanes and A road. I have already got upto 51mpg average which is simply astonishing for a new engine and a petrol one at that considering all the traffic jams etc. :cool:

The sports chassis is not as firm as I had feared which means it rides beautifully over bumps and is actually far more comfortable than my old pickup truck.

The engine is quiet even at speed however the car is very noisy compared to the old pickup truck. The road noise is dreadful on concrete motorways and still pretty bad on decent tarmac. This is entirely down to the wide tyres and naff continental tyres. I will swap to bridgestones once these wear out.

The steering is also very twitchy and the car feels nervous at speed but that is not the Corsas fault, all short wheelbase vehicles suffer from this especially when fitted with wide tyres. My pickup truck has a very long wheelbase and sits for hundreds of miles with barely a touch of correction needed whereas the Corsa required regular steering input to keep it in a straight line on straight road. The steering is also too light and too sensitive really, it needs to be heavier at higher speeds but then I'm used to trucks and Land Rovers, most of which have no power steering at all.

The interior is lovely, seats are comfortable and the limelight green dash insert really sets the car off nicely. The trip computer and its display are also excellent. The stereo is however rubbish, the sound quality is very poor and the car will definately need new speakers (as has every vehicle I've ever bought) and a decent head unit to replace the intellilink. The DAB radio worked OK but it is very fiddly to change stations and you end up taking your eyes off the road for too long. An old fashioned head unit with buttons is far safer as you can 'feel' the buttons while keeping your eyes on the road.

Overall though the car drives beautifully and far exceeds my expectations of a small hatchback. (The last time I drove a car this small was 20 years ago and that was my girlfriends Nova). My gut instinct about the engine was correct and the higher torque of the 1.4T definately looks like it will give me 55+mpg on my commute to work once run in, it cruises beautifully on the main roads and has serious grunt on hills. The car also feels alot bigger than it is and makes me feel far happier to be in it than I was expecting considering the big drop in size from my previous truck.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Car Speedometer Gauge Odometer Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Anthony, already been turning a few heads. Not many vivid coloured cars around by us. I won't lose it in Tesco car park ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool colour, definitely get your eyes on it, glad you enjoying it!
The only complaint I have, as same as you, is that intellilink system is crap, feel more like nokia with symbian on it, I do think vauxhall could do a lot better

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The intellink has got to go!!!

I spent some time last night testing the intellink with my windows phone and surprise surprise it doesn't work. It sometimes connects but not always, sometimes manages to allow access to gallery etc but not always. At one point it froze entirely and remained frozen AND still powered on even after removing the key from the ignition!! I managed to reboot the intellink in the end which fixed it. It won't play music from the phone via the USB either. On the one occasion I managed to get access to my photos it displayed them stretched in the wrong aspect ratio (my phone takes wide screen format pictures) and displayed them at a really poor resolution.

With bluetooth it works OK for making calls using the steering wheel buttons and via the syncronized address book in intellilink but then any system can do that using bluetooth.

Even ignoring the wndows phone issues, the intellilink system is dire. It is truly archaic software, poor quality screen, slow response times and generally pointless.

Oh it is also stupidly bright at night and bear in mind about 90% of my annual mileage is done at night. There is no brightness control on the intelllink itself so to reduce brightness I have to lower the entire dash instrument brightness which then makes the gauges too dim. Also the intellilink power, home and volume controls are not backlit at night so are completely invisible in the dark. The screen brightness is so intense that even with all the interior lights on it is still impossible to see where the USB port is to plug my phone in so I had to feel around in the dark. :evil:

I will be replacing it with something like an Apline head unit along with a set of Infinity speakers once I have some spare cash. Hopefully Alpine will have an installation kit for Vauxhall Corsa E at some point. I was hoping that Microsoft may release Mirrorlink for windows 10 so that I can mirror my phone to the Alpine screen which is my perfect in car solution.

I knew the intellink system was bad before I bought the car and it was always my intention to replace it so this doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the car itself. I'm just surprised by how bad the intellilink is though. :eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice, great review and lovely colour!

Can you go I to more detail on the ride comfort? And will new tyres reduce road noise?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ride comfort is really very good considering it is on the sports chassis. We have a stretch of very badly worn tarmac in the next village that has been horrendous to drive over in our pickup truck and Land Rovers, usually resulting in violent jolts and yet in the Corsa I went over it yesterday and hardly felt any of the bumps at all. I was very impressed. Obviously the comfort chassis will be even softer but it is certainly damn good.

Over potholes the car does 'thump' but at no point do you feel uncomfortable or badly jolted like you do in some sports cars.

The tyre noise is mostly at motorway/A road speeds (55+mph) on both tarmac and concrete. On tarmac the Corsa is definately noisier inside than my 10 year old diesel Mazda pickup at 56mph. On concrete motorway it is actually noisier than my classic old diesel Land Rover which has no soundproofing and runs on 33"x10" mud tyres!

However I've tried many different makes of tyres on my vehicles over the years and I also swap from summer to winter tyres so I have experienced the difference in noise levels simply from changing tyre tread patterns and compounds. I believe I can find quieter tyres. Narrower tyres will be quieter though. I guess it depends on what you are used to. I remember similar tyre noise issues in my Dads Toyota Supra where tyre noise was the most noticable noise in the car even at 100+mph.

I'm doing a 300 mile motorway trip early next week so I'll report back on how I found it over the longer distance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also heard the intelink also crashes and unreliable. Mud4fun link for you below double din unit I think it should fit corsa also http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261534779732
I will also getting this at some point I Am more annoyed my spec doesn't have multi function computer I have seen 2012 corsa dashboard cluster only £60 I know this not suitable but surely it shouldn't be too long before corsa e dashboard cluster is on when someone decides write off there new corsa and then sells it for spares and parts. Any idea how difficult it will be to replace vehicle cluster here's the 2012 corsa link
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321652241881

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Ian, have had my SE now 5 weeks & no problems with my Interlink works fine with my iPhone5s except for " Gallery " which I have already posted on even BringGo is acceptable once you get used to the limitations etc. Perhaps I just been lucky so far.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Derek,

Yes you are probably OK with an iPhone as Apple devices seem to be the only thing developed for and supported on many systems. I prefer my windows phone though.

The thing is though, the sound quality of the standard system is poor compared to what I'm used to. My Mazda pickup had a top end head unit with infinity speakers and even my 1960 land rover has now been fitted with an alpine head unit and four infinity kappa 6x9 speakers so the sound is awesome with deep distortion free bass and clear accurate highs. In comparison the Corsas stock system is dull, distorted and very poor range.

So I want a decent stereo system in lieu of the intellilink which is not much use to me unless I swap to an iPhone which isn't going to happen! ;-)

Ian

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi k.l.r,

I have no idea how to swap the systems, facias or dash binnacle. I've only had the car for a day :)

I plan on upgrading the speakers soon and I will post details when I do. I may get VX to swap out the intellink and replace it with the lifes cd player. I will call them next week.

·
Registered
356 Posts
mud4fun said:
I plan on upgrading the speakers soon and I will post details when I do. I may get VX to swap out the intellink and replace it with the lifes cd player. I will call them next week.
I watched a video on YouTube and you could get a infinity system added to the Adam.

Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now done 120 miles :)

I did a good mix of driving today in horrible wet weather with lights and wipers on etc and average mpg has dropped to a rather poor 48.7mpg ;-) ;-) about 50 miles have been done with myself and one of my daughters on board, 20 miles were carrying a full weeks shopping and 30 miles have been in heavy traffic.

At 70mph she is doing about 47mpg
At 56mph she is doing 55mpg
In heavy traffic and around town she is doing about 40mpg (using the stop/start too)

What a great little car. :cool: Torque is impressive as she pulled out and blasted past an HGV (from 50 to 70 in a few seconds) up a long steep incline (dual carriageway) in 6th gear where I'd normally expect to drop a gear. She is now filthy!!! I have bought some decent wax today but no chance of getting that done as it is still miserable weather and cold. :-(

I'm beginning to think they've put the 150PS engine in by mistake :mrgreen: as this is way more powerful than the 1.0T I tested and the amount of torque steer is considerablly more than I remember from either the 1.0T or the 1.4T in an Astra I drove last year.

More pictures:
Automotive parking light Cloud Car Wheel Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

1 - 20 of 142 Posts