Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think mud4fun may have mentioned this before but it feels like my drivers seat base has sank where my backside is when I'm driving and I'm not a heavy guy, I'm pretty weedy. The seat cloth is all saggy infront of there where the backs of my legs are, like all raised up and I've got to flatten it down every time I get out of the car, does this sound like the foam base is collapsing?

I'll likely mention it when the car goes for a service anyway.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yep, mine has now sagged/squashed completely after 14K miles. It is now really uncomfortable on 3-4 hour drives - like sitting on a concrete slab. My old basic jap pickup had far superior quality seats that were still like new after 270K miles. I'm not impressed. Even my 30 year old Land Rover has better quality and more comfortable seats and they only cost £150 for a set of 3!!!!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Would probably be classed as wear and tear, much like a tyre I would have thought. Worth an ask though, I guess - don't ask and you don't get! A seat should last a lot longer considering that the life of a car can be up to 100k miles or more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yep, mine has now sagged/squashed completely after 14K miles. It is now really uncomfortable on 3-4 hour drives - like sitting on a concrete slab. My old basic jap pickup had far superior quality seats that were still like new after 270K miles. I'm not impressed. Even my 30 year old Land Rover has better quality and more comfortable seats and they only cost £150 for a set of 3!!!!
How can this be that mine is absolutely fine? Seems to be loads of variation in quality across the board, I have done 10k now. I am 6ft 2 13.5 stone, so not the smallest or lighted lad lol

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, I'm 6' 2", 14 stone (yes I know, a tad overweight!)

Agoodley, how many hours do you sit on the seat for in one trip? On mine they are fine for 30 minute drives but my commute from work is normally 3-4 hours. The seats are really uncomfortable after a few hours. In comparison my old Mazda pickup truck had seats that were really comfortable even after the 7 hour drive from my house to my parents. The Mazda pickup had very similar seats to my old Peugeot 405 estate, another supremely comfortable car for long journeys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 6' 7" and 17 stone so people avoid me when I wear hoodies because they think I'm gonna murder them, haha!

I'm coming up to 10k miles since getting my car on July 31st and my drivers seat on one side feels like the foam is wearing away underneith but the other side is more sturdy. Not sure if I sit more to one side or not but it's still comfortable most of the time. I need to shift around a bit on longer journeys to keep comfy though.

Bit disappointing that the seats will probably be knackered and uncomfortable long before I look to get my next car :(

·
Registered
342 Posts
My drivers seat has a small indent on one side that feels like the foam has dropped.. Maybe it's a trait with these LE seats and I'm only 5'8" and 11stone :lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
skyblue1969 said:
My drivers seat has a small indent on one side that feels like the foam has dropped.. Maybe it's a trait with these LE seats and I'm only 5'8" and 11stone :lol:
I think that could be normal though, I noticed 3 on my drivers seat and checked the passenger seat that's lucky if its been sat on a dozen times in the past 10months/11,500 miles and its got indents in the same places.

What i did notice is between the cloth material and the seat foam on the passenger seat in the middle its all hard like theres a bit of hard plastic between the cloth and the foam which the drivers seat doesn't have.

·
Registered
342 Posts
hendry said:
skyblue1969 said:
I think that could be normal though, I noticed 3 on my drivers seat and checked the passenger seat that's lucky if its been sat on a dozen times in the past 10months/11,500 miles and its got indents in the same places.

What i did notice is between the cloth material and the seat foam on the passenger seat in the middle its all hard like theres a bit of hard plastic between the cloth and the foam which the drivers seat doesn't have.
I've been and checked my passenger seat and its the same also feels like plastic of some description

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've noticed the indent on the seat foam roughly where your left bum cheek ( :lol: ) sits when I get out of the seat the indent is visible because the seat cloth has gone down into the "sunken/indented" part so looks like that one bit of the seat cloth material itself has sunk too, what's more unsightly is that as a result of this immediately infront of the indented part the seat cloth looks all baggy now. The seat cloth is baggy to start with because if you run your hand over it it "smoothed out" the cloth and makes it look perfect again until next time you sit on it, imagine an older car high mileage car with leather seats where the bit where your bun cheeks go eventually goes saggy and sunken looking making the bits round about which havent sunk look all baggy. What's also odd is theres a much larger indent on the seat base foam where your right bum cheek sits which doesn't go baggy or make the indent noticeably visible.

Both indents must be supposed to be there however because every Corsa E I've ever been in has the same indents in the same places on both the driver and passengers seats.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a wee update to this, I took the car back in to Vauxhall dealer as its nearing a year old so nearly out of paintwork and trim warranty (only covered for 1st 12months from date of first reg) Vauxhall dealer had car for 2 days to strip seat down and see if it was seat foam cushion or or seat frame/springs itself and advised I'd have to pay £98.30 inspection fee if no fault found or not covered by warranty! They are saying the foam and seat frame are fine but that the cushion cover itself has sagged so needs a new part, that's covered by warranty and is on order so will take 2 days to come into stock. So it's having a new network moonray cloth trim on the drivers seat next week.

Also went in for a rattle from passenger door, I even went a roadtest with a tech so he could hear it, picked it up and they are saying it was pipes behind the glovebox rattling, they've been tightened up and reinsulated, soon as I drove out of their car park I could hear the door rattle, they have somehow fixed a rattle I couldn't even hear and missed one that's clear as day. They also noticed a screw in OSR tyre and did a puncture repair free or charge but I noticed when cleaning the excess tyre soap off earlier they have chipped my alloy right on the edge, no way it couldn't happened hitting a kerb as it wouldve caused more damage than that and that part of the wheel wouldn't touch the kerb anyway, impossible, so mustve happened when they were levering the tyre on/off to repair it, I can't prove it but I'm raging about it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there

I too have experienced pain to right thigh and leg due to drivers seat.

I am only 13 stone.

Vauxhall have kindly replaced the seat base and my local dealer JCT 600at Castleford did the work. This was not my purchase dealer. And JCT were very helpful.

Unfortunately finding seat base still too soft!

A real pity ascrestvof car build is very good.

I have the sri 1.4t, and now done 8k miles, and approaching 1 year old.

Regards
Bebop

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have same problem with my LE seats. I'm 14 stone. Car has now done 17K miles and drivers seat now quite uncomfortable on long journeys. Fine on short trips though. I will be swapping my car end of this year so will live with it till then. My last vehicle was a jap pickup and the drivers seat in that was still supremely comfortable after 270K miles so it must be quality of foam and design of seat that is poor in the Corsa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi new to site so finding my way round
I have a 1.4 Energy 2016my Feb only done 600 miles . my drivers seat feel like im ass down and legs up i ve changed the height and position still the same. Passenger seat is fine if anything its firmer .
any ideas how to cure it or should i go back to Vauxhall ? My dealer has now shut so need to fine a new one

Cheers
Mart

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Welcome!
Softness problems usually reported on sports seats. AFAIK the Energy has standard seats. Sounds like you need to be at max height which normally tips forward. Find your new dealer and sit in another Energy and see if the angle is still wrong and cant be adjusted. If so theres nothing much you can do about it.

P.s. Did you have a service plan with the old dealer? Is it transferable?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have a MY16 Energy. The only thing i have noticed with the drivers seat is that it needs adjusting again every few days. My old Corsa D had the same problem and it was fixed by the dealer as a recall iirc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've bought a seat cushion which makes the seat more level and a lot more comfortable. Doesn't look too bad either.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Not that a gearbox should make a difference, there is a VERY noticible difference between our Corsas (auto 1.4 and manual 1.4T) - The Auto has a very comfortable seat, although it has only covered less than 300miles whereas the 1.4T has done 1600, and the seat doesn't feel 'right'. Feels like all the foam has collapsed.

I will be sending my seat away for reupholstery. FYI generally white foam is used in seats in cars or home-sofas (Certainly my 2007 Corsa D had white foam, by the time I got rid of it in 2011, the seat foam was literally falling out). According to my upholster (I send loads of 50-year old transport seats off every year), White foam is cheap and isn't designed to last. Grey is more dense blue should be used as a skimmer to make it comfortable. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than this but it's not my area of expertiese, when I send mine off i'll ask for a better description.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts