Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Dafny's front passenger tyre was looking lower than the drivers side so went to pump it up this morning. Unhelpfully Vauxhall have put the tyre pressures in kpa on the door post label whereas all our local pumps are in psi or bar! While converting the kpa figure to psi I noticed that there are two readings on the label. The top one shows 230kpa (33psi) front and rear for my 215/45R17 tyres. However there was another figure below it of 270 front/250 rear for same load. It is labelled 'eco'. (39psi/36psi)

I know that higher pressures give better economy and I've always tended to run my tyres slightly high to get better mpg. I have never seen a label specifying them though.

Am I understand this label correctly?

I've pumped the tyres up to 38psi front, 35psi rear, not quite accurate to the label but I reckon a good compromise between comfort and mpg. Ride is definitely firmer than it was but we shall see what difference it makes to mpg. They were previously set to a rather low 33psi front, 32psi back.

Anybody else found a noticable difference in mpg between the eco pressures and normal?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I inflated mine to eco last week.

Not had long enough to see the difference.

I had never even seen kpa in my life. Luckily my ring RAC 630 has the option to change the display from psi, bar and kpa.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be doing another 250 mile motorway run later this week so will get a chance to test it out :) She only did 59mpg on both previous commutes to head office so hopefully I can sneak into the 60's :)

I'll need to keep a close eye on tyre wear though, I don't want them to wear unevenly. On my Land Rovers I normally chalk a line across the tyre, drive around the village and then see where the chalk has worn. Worn off in centre too high, worn on edges too low. They aren't standard sized tyres on them though so no use using the manual.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This hire car I have the pressures are 34 all round. The car is set to Eco in the monitoring system too. If I change that then I get warnings about low tyre pressure

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure my tyre pressure monitoring is working as I changed all four pressures but didn't get any warnings. I didn't even get a warning about my low front passenger tyre which was down to 30psi where the drivers side was at 34psi. I do a visual check of tyres once a week and hence the reason I spotted it was looking low.

·
Registered
961 Posts
When I got my car the pressures were all wrong, 43 and 58 psi's! So checked the handbook (as we already know, no B14XER listed so I had to use the figures from the 1.4 petrols listed, luckily B14XEJ/XEL and NEJ all the same) and it gives the kPa figure with the PSI in brackets, 3 different values, Eco, full load (more than 3 passengers plus full boot) and light load (up to 3 passengers)

The Eco pressure in my book is 39 front, 37 rear so that's what I putt them to at the petrol station air machine, however from time to time I check the display on the dash and I don't think I've ever seen the display showing 39 front and 37 rear, regardless of if the tyres are cold or hot, there's also a bit in the manual about how to set the car up to accept any change in pressure and the tyre settings between eco, light load and full load without triggering the tpms light etc

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Delboy_Lee said:
hi guys mine at cold are set as 32 front & 29 Rear ever since delivery & seems to suite my driving/passenger load.
Hi Derek, I think you have the narrower tyres with bigger sidewalls? They normally run lower pressures than the rubber band tyres on the 17" wheels. At 30psi my passenger tyre looked visually flat, seriously bulging sidewalls and would probably have caused serious handling issue if I'd have been ragging the car around a bend especially with the drivers side at 34psi.

I think I have a slow puncture in my front passenger side as it was looking fine last week. :-(

·
Registered
895 Posts
mud4fun said:
Delboy_Lee said:
hi guys mine at cold are set as 32 front & 29 Rear ever since delivery & seems to suite my driving/passenger load.
Hi Derek, I think you have the narrower tyres with bigger sidewalls? They normally run lower pressures than the rubber band tyres on the 17" wheels. At 30psi my passenger tyre looked visually flat, seriously bulging sidewalls and would probably have caused serious handling issue if I'd have been ragging the car around a bend especially with the drivers side at 34psi.

I think I have a slow puncture in my front passenger side as it was looking fine last week. :-(
Thanks Ian, hope you get it sorted soon ? I hate slow punctures?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will keep an eye on it this week and if it goes down again will get it repaired. Maybe linked to our gravel drive as my Mazda used to suffer slow punctures regularly too. Only the big off road tyres on the Land Rovers seem immune!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.