Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes call the Emissions light (in the book).

So first time was after just 7 miles, turned out to be a hole in the intercooler pipe.
This has been replaced and we've driven a further 40 miles (30 of which on a dual carriageway) and the light is back on again.

OH well, booked back in with the garage on Tuesday for them to take another look. Still have not got the deposit back from the 'hire car' from its last trip in, so will not be happy to have to shell out another £75 to hire another car, this isn't funny.

Really don't expect this from a brand new car, might be being picky, but.......

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I agree Leona, you should not be having troubles like this. Unlike squeaks and rattles which are par for the course with many new cars these days and often simply irritating rather than serious, engine faults and mechanical failures are serious and not acceptable!

Can I just clarify something though? When you say you've driven a further 40 miles since is that at typo? how many miles is your average journey and how many miles a week do you do?

I ask because it could suggest that you were badly advised by the salesman. Modern diesels (since 2009) have diesel particulate filters (DPF's) that require them to get upto temperature on each journey to allow the DPF to operate effectively. Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, a diesel car with a DPF fitted ideally needs to be driven at least 10+ miles per journey and at least 5 miles of that journey must be at 50mph or above (or under higher rpm) so the exhaust is upto temperature to keep the DPF in good health. Ideally you need to also do a much longer 50+ mile trip at least once per week too.

If you only do very short journeys it will damage the DPF quickly. Our company deals with repair work on millions of vehicles and see tens of thousands of DPF failures each year due to people buying diesels and then using them for mostly short journeys which they are simply not suitable for. The Corsa diesel features an electronic system to detect if you have not got the car upto temperature and it will try and force a regeneration in the DPF but the car needs to be moving to do this. If you have only done a very short trip to the local shop when it is in the middle of a regeneration it will throw a warning light on the dash. Not sure if it is the same light that you are referring to? Have you tried a quick blast down the motorway at 70mph to see if that clears it?

EDIT: Just found this thread which may prove useful to you as you have the same engine:

http://www.ukcorsa-d.com/forum/showthread.php?57639-Diesel-particle-filter-problems

And this fleet article re-inforces the findings:

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2012/1/9/problems-with-diesel-particulate-filters-may-push-companies-towards-petrol/42044/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not a typeo, when the first light came on we were half way to Hampshire so kept on going and back which clocked up 200 miles.
but since the repair, we have only done 40 or so miles, which, as I said, was a trip to Exeter down the A30 at speeds over 60mph both ways, last night was a short journey admiralty but this is when the light came on.
This is our 3rd diesel, we are used to them, our Fiesta (2012 model) had a DPF fitted and gave us no issues and as we lived in Exeter it had a lot of short journeys to deal with, now we live outside of Exeter and travel in at weekends the car gets used a lot more now (which is why we elected to stay with a diesel) and being 15 miles away one would hope a trip down the A30 would be enough to get it up to temperature and clear out the DPF. (The salesman did talk to us about diesels and the DPF, but he said as long as we ran it into Exeter once a month, we should be fine).
I will be very surprised if it's a clogged DPF, i am sure there is another engine fault, I am certain I can smell oil when we are driving, the first few times I smelt it, I thought it was the car in front, but I think it's coming from the engine, I might have a peep under the bonnet at the weekend to see if I can spot a leak or oil spatter.

The Corsa diesel features an electronic system to detect if you have not got the car upto temperature and it will try and force a regeneration in the DPF but the car needs to be moving to do this. If you have only done a very short trip to the local shop when it is in the middle of a regeneration it will throw a warning light on the dash. Not sure if it is the same light that you are referring to? Have you tried a quick blast down the motorway at 70mph to see if that clears it?
Interesting, and makes sense, it is the same light, used for different purposes. We are going to Exeter on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if the light goes off or stays on, while it's down a motorway, it's a dual carriageway so should be able give her a good run.

I have a horrible feeling we've been given a duff one :(

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ah right OK, sounds like that shouldn't be an issue although your Fiesta was the 1.6? that would have a different threshold set for the ECU to trigger a regen than the 1.3 Corsa diesel so there is still a possibility of it being a regen fault.

My concern would be if the original split intercooler pipe had caused a knock on effect that was not immediately obvious and would only surface a while later. Definately chase the dealer because it needs dealing with ASAP.

I'm thinking that the split intercooler hose would cause a loss of air volume going into the engine as it was leaking HOWEVER the fuel pump would have been running boosted fuelling from the turbo in proportion to what it thought would be an increased level of compressed inlet air coming from the turbo. If it was run over any distance in that condition then the chances are the DPF could be damaged. It would depend on how the ECU handled the split hose. Increased fuelling but no increased air volume would cause soot in the same way a clogged air filter does and that would clog a DPF.

Edit: The regen generates alot of heat as the soot is burnt off. If the DPF was badly clogged it could take a while to burn off. The side effect would be burning smell, especially on a new car as things like paint coating on DPF will also burn off too which could explain the smell of burning you have noticed.

Good luck, fingers crossed that it gets dealt with. Such a shame that your experience of the car has been tarnished with this fault.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mud4fun said:
Ah right OK, sounds like that shouldn't be an issue although your Fiesta was the 1.6? that would have a different threshold set for the ECU to trigger a regen than the 1.3 Corsa diesel so there is still a possibility of it being a regen fault.

My concern would be if the original split intercooler pipe had caused a knock on effect that was not immediately obvious and would only surface a while later. Definately chase the dealer because it needs dealing with ASAP.

I'm thinking that the split intercooler hose would cause a loss of air volume going into the engine as it was leaking HOWEVER the fuel pump would have been running boosted fuelling from the turbo in proportion to what it thought would be an increased level of compressed inlet air coming from the turbo. If it was run over any distance in that condition then the chances are the DPF could be damaged. It would depend on how the ECU handled the split hose. Increased fuelling but no increased air volume would cause soot in the same way a clogged air filter does and that would clog a DPF.

Edit: The regen generates alot of heat as the soot is burnt off. If the DPF was badly clogged it could take a while to burn off. The side effect would be burning smell, especially on a new car as things like paint coating on DPF will also burn off too which could explain the smell of burning you have noticed.

Good luck, fingers crossed that it gets dealt with. Such a shame that your experience of the car has been tarnished with this fault.
Thank you for that, you know you could be on to something here, as my partner came back from the shops and turned into our road, the light went off, how typical. ;) Also that could be a good reason for the smell too, makes sense.

We will see how she behaves over the weekend, I think I'll still have the dealer look over her and clear out any fault codes, just to be on the safe side.

I would have thought it would be ok with a bit of local driving, we were aware that these need a long run to clear the filter, see how things go.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hopefully it gets sorted soon, I used to get this on my golf when revving too much haha

·
Registered
24 Posts
LeonaDevon which dealership did you buy your corsa from as I brought my corsa from Eden Vauxhall Exeter and I am happy big problems with my car and it's got to go back for a bout 2 weeks and because I am under the age of 21 they won't give me a courtesy car which is a big pain. Just wondered if you have had any problems with the dealership???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts