Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old, 4k mile car has started making a ticking/rattling sound at idle, possibly when driving but just can't hear it, imagine if you will the noise that all 1.0/1.2/1.4 Corsa Cs with timing chain make, the constant tick tick tick tick tick in addition to the normal sound of the engine idling, also can be heard on pretty much any car which has been allowed to run too low on oil, I have checked the oil level and its fine, Corsa dipstick has 5 notches between min and Max each represents 200ml, as there a litre of a difference between min and Max, mine is halfway up the 5th notch, so about 100ml off being bang on max level.

Now as I say on old Corsas its the timing chain causing the noise, on loads of other cars its being too low on oil, other people are suggesting its the tappets as its the tappets which "tick" when too low on oil, others think bottom end, obviously I'm going to book it in to Vauxhall ASAP but just wondering what it might be, its not too bad just now but it is audible and definitely didn't used to do it, and I can't check any other 1.4 Corsa Es but we have a load of 1.4 Ds at work and none sound like that.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Unlikely to be tappets as the 1.4 doesn't have tappets does it?, it thought it was DOHC and the cam lobes drive the valves directly. Although these engines have variable valve timing and I'm not sure what impact that would have on noises as haven't had one long enough to know what they sound like when they wear out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine has the same! However, mine also rattles when driving until 4th gear is reached! Be careful with Vauxhall garages, they're a tad useless as I was told it was my exhaust had came off a clip and was causing the rattle and was not helped by the way I drive... Suffice to say my cars booked in again for this week and I may end up hitting some of the mechanics! In their defence I am a 17 year old girl so generally it's assumed I'm thick and can't even pull a bonnet, which is very untrue sorry for them!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
mud4fun said:
Unlikely to be tappets as the 1.4 doesn't have tappets does it?, it thought it was DOHC and the cam lobes drive the valves directly. Although these engines have variable valve timing and I'm not sure what impact that would have on noises as haven't had one long enough to know what they sound like when they wear out.
All have self adjusting hydraulic tappets. Engine oil sits between two cylindrical followers in a bore. oil pressure keeps them apart and becomes incompressible when the cam presses down on them. oil problems can occasionally cause problems if tiny port gets blocked so it's important to only top up with correct fully synthetic - its 11 quid a litre for good reason! urgent attention advised.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As jarvister said has tappets, 16 of them...but you should rarely hear them rattle unless they are seriously worn or oil pressure is not reaching them. Might be a timing chain noise?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Ah right, thanks Jarviser/Chris :)

I think with OHV engines most people refer to a noise as 'tappet noise' when actually it is the rockers that are causing the ticking noise due to poor adjustment, wear or lack of oil feed to the rocker pads. Clearly can't be that same noise in a DOHC engine :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Interesting to see that, thanks. I've not really owned that many OHC engines as my 4x4's have all had OHV.

How does the variable valve timing work then? I'mg guessing something must be adjusted hydraulically but from that diagram I can't see what.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jarviser those look like the diesel tappets on the 1.7dti which sit directly under the camshaft - non self adjusting shimable type. The 1.4 has got different system with rockers and self adjusting tappets.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
ChrisB said:
Jarviser those look like the diesel tappets on the 1.7dti which sit directly under the camshaft - non self adjusting shimable type. The 1.4 has got different system with rockers and self adjusting tappets.
yes, sorry, like I say for illustration only. The diagram shows the hydraulic principle (not shimmable).
Opel now seem to use mostly cartridge type followers but I could only find photos, not section drawings. I think this is them
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Rim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
mud4fun said:
Interesting to see that, thanks. I've not really owned that many OHC engines as my 4x4's have all had OHV.

How does the variable valve timing work then? I'mg guessing something must be adjusted hydraulically but from that diagram I can't see what.
AFAIK Vauxhall/Opel production Variable Valve Timing is done by effectively shifting the sprocket position on the shaft, all valves on that shaft open later or earlier. They are not done per individual valve.
Last engine I stripped was 1159 Viva engine - I just read about them these days!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, I'm constantly rebuilding engines, have a 1996 turbo diesel in bits in the workshop right now but things have come on very quickly since then. I think the most 'modern' petrol engines I've worked on were a 2.6ltr straight six DOHC Rover engine with twin SU carbs, a 3.5 Rover V8 with boxer quad SU carb manifold and a 4.6 Rover V8 with very large weber 500 carb - all back the 90's and would all be regarded as a dinosaur these days. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im having this exact problem and its so annoying. Im also experiencing pretty low mpg so i was thinking it may be an exhaust leak? I have it booked in next Wednesday. Only done 2500 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the 115hp and i find every morning the engine sounds rattly until it warms abit but to be honest GM's oil is crap i have done a oil and filter change at 4800 miles cause the oil has was blacker than black i refuse to use that crap i drained the oil and got the part number for the oil filter its a ACdelco by the way and i used shell helix ultra AG its dexos approved and has shells pureplus tech excellent startups in the morning tapping has gone and oil is still honey after nearly 1000 miles shells oil also protects and cleans better than any oil worth a shot

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A wee update if anyone is interested, I had the car in at Vauxhall this morning to replace a trim that base came apart and the replacement part was on back order. Anyway last time the car was in they said the ticking/rattling was normal and not a fault. This morning they gave me a 1.4 n/a LE as a courtesy car, I straight away notices it was noticeably quieter, at idle didn't sound rocky, tappety, or rattly and so I called them up and insisted they check it again whilst the car is in, when it was ready I went to pick it up the "invoice" detailing what they'd done to my car said, replaced drivers seat trim - warranty, checked for ticking/rattling noise from engine, traces to fuel tank vent valve - noise normal.

What the hell is a fuel tank vent valve, and why is it making my car sound tappety?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
A fuel tank vent in the old days was normally in the filler neck or cap area. To allow pressure relief when the fuel expanded on a hot day. No idea what they are referring to as I certainly don't have a tapping noise coming from my fuel tank or filler neck area and I don't have any tappet noises from my engine either so it is clearly not 'normal'

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I think for some years the vent pipe has gone into the air inlet under the bonnet. Filler neck is sealed (emissions regs) Never heard mine tho!

Worst dealer bulls**t I ever had was a noise after startup diagnosed as low transmission oil level - £15 top-up. In the end it was the ignition key surround sticking and holding on the starter (wife driving of course).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jarviser said:
I think for some years the vent pipe has gone into the air inlet under the bonnet. Filler neck is sealed (emissions regs) Never heard mine tho!

Worst dealer bulls**t I ever had was a noise after startup diagnosed as low transmission oil level - £15 top-up. In the end it was the ignition key surround sticking and holding on the starter (wife driving of course).
In fairness I love when dealers do stuff like that, because when their "fix" clearly doesn't fix the problem you have effectively got a new part on your car for free because either the fix youve paid for which hasn't worked they need to refund you for or its under warranty anyway, but youve still managed to replace a used part for a new one so if you ever do have a fault with that part its going to be prolonged even further.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hendry you can compare your engine to mine if you want.

Mine has done over 8,000 miles now and has not got a ticking noise that I can hear anyway.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
joeboy said:
Hendry you can compare your engine to mine if you want.

Mine has done over 8,000 miles now and has not got a ticking noise that I can hear anyway.
Thanks for the offer Joe, I may just do that, Arnold Clark Vauxhall Linwood are hopeless, when it was in yesterday they still can't hear the squeaking coming from my front drivers side suspension either yet phoned me up saying they noticed a rattle from my NSR door trim and have ordered a part for that, I've now booked it in to Arnold Clark Vauxhall Pollokshaws Road on Tuesday for nthe suspension squeak and they are sending a mechanic on a roadtest with me which Linwood refused to do, I'm going to point out the ticking noise to the mechanic also and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts