Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a favour, this is going to sound like a stupid request but bear with me.

Can you use the lever at the side of the drivers seat to adjust the seat height as low as it will go, then "rock" the seat and see if there's any "play" or rocking movement, then use the lever and pull it up and release at least 4 times and try again.

The reason I am asking is I had to brake fairly sharply earlier and as I came to a stop I could feel the seat move, imagine if you will you're a passenger in a car where the driver was to unexpectedly do an emergency atop, you'd be thrown forward and then you'd automatically move back towards the seat and come to a rest, well it feels like this is what my actual seat is doing, there no up and down or backwards forwards movement, just the rocking, so when I got home I rocked the seat to see if it would move (I thought I imagined the seat rocking when I braked) and it did rock, however I have my seat height adjusted as low as it will go, I tried adjusting it as high as it would go and tried to rock it again and it wouldn't move, gradually reduced the seat height by one lever adjustment downwards and tried again, noticing that the seat only rocks when it is between the lowest height adjustment and 3 adjustments up, any higher than that it stops and has no movement.

I think this might be a fault, just want to make sure its not something every Corsa does (still think its a fault even if all your cara do it to, but then it'd be classed as a design fault, if its just something my cara does then its something its not meant to do)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeboy said:
This might not help but in my cousins corsa d his seat snapped in half.

Are you saying the backrest is moving or the whole seat?
The whole seat, but its probably more to do with the frame or mountings than the seat itself as it feels like its whatever is bolted to the seat at 1 end and bolted to the floor runners at the other has play in it, its really odd because like I say if you adjust the seat height beyond a certain point it doesn't do it. So must be the height adjuster mechanism or something.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hendry said:
joeboy said:
This might not help but in my cousins corsa d his seat snapped in half.

Are you saying the backrest is moving or the whole seat?
The whole seat, but its probably more to do with the frame or mountings than the seat itself as it feels like its whatever is bolted to the seat at 1 end and bolted to the floor runners at the other has play in it, its really odd because like I say if you adjust the seat height beyond a certain point it doesn't do it. So must be the height adjuster mechanism or something.
May well be where the bottom of the seat attaches on to the seat moving mechanism, my old Corsa B used to do this regularly

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was a problem VERYsimilar to this with corsa c, it was so bad a recall of cars was ordered, take it back to the dealer make them aware, if no joy inform head office.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Sorry Hendry, my LE has the height adjustment and I tried it and don't seem to suffer any issues. That said I normally drive with it in a slightly raised position because after 25 years of driving big 4x4's I prefer a slightly elevated position :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mud4fun said:
Sorry Hendry, my LE has the height adjustment and I tried it and don't seem to suffer any issues. That said I normally drive with it in a slightly raised position because after 25 years of driving big 4x4's I prefer a slightly elevated position :)
If I adjust the seat by 4 "pulls" upwards with the lever the seat is solid and doesn't move when I try to rock it, anything between fully lowered and 3 pulls upwards and it still rocks, also now getting a "click from the side of the seat where the lever is when I move off from a standstill, I'll mention it to the dealer tomorrow when I call to book it in to get my NSR wheel replaced and ask them to look at it when its in for that.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anthony said:
I have my seat right down and checked it yesterday, there was not movement at all.
Its booked in to Vauxhall tomorrow as theres clicking from the height adjustment lever when pulling away as well like my weight is causing it to move when I pull away, so thats definitely not right, having my fair share of issues with this car, must be a Monday morning/Friday afternoon build. :lol:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I took the car in this morning and got the service advisor to send for a mechanic so I could replicate the fault (too many times I've trusted that the dealer would find faults and it's came back no fault found) now walking across to my car I explained to the mechanic the issue and before I'd even showed him he said "I'll probably be the seat base, they are pretty crap on a lot of Vauxhalls" I then replicated the fault and he agreed its faulty, he then tried himself and said theres definitely play in it, his hunch was correct he thinks its the seat base, he explained that on the lowest height setting the play in the rivet in the mechanism is obvious, but when you increase the height the way that the mechanism is designed your body weight takes up the play in the mechanism so it doesn't do it at higher adjustments, and that he has a 12 plate Corsa D which had the same fault and that the part will be in within 24hours as its technically putting the car off the road as although minor at the moment can develop into a serious safety issue. Left the car with them as it was in for its new wheel on warranty too, it turns out its the seat adjuster mechanism that's faulty and its due in tomorrow so I've just left the car with them overnight.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got the car back and the paperwork says "supply and fit NSR wheel and drivers seat base" but I swear it's still doing it, not as bad as it was but still doing it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
XzinkX said:
hendry said:
Well I got the car back and the paperwork says "supply and fit NSR wheel and drivers seat base" but I swear it's still doing it, not as bad as it was but still doing it.
Going to have to book another appointment?
Most likely mate, proper PITA. Not sure how it can still be doing it with a new base fitted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.