Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you given your black alloys a thorough clean yet and noticed the following?

1. They seem very susceptible to marks and scratches (by that I mean swirl marks like you get on the paintwork of cars that are only ever washed through drive through automatic car washes)
2. Lots of very small white "spots" or "dots" almost like offspray as if the car had been in a body shop or someone had painted a wall/white fence/etc next to the car,I actually thought it was offspray because it wasn't coming off with washing, and on the back of the wheels when I washed all the dirt/brake dust off there were literally thousands of them, but came off with polishing.
3. They haven't painted the wheel bolt hole "tubes" fully (the cylindrical holes the wheel bolts look recessed into when fitted) only part of it nearest the hole opening on the wheel face is painted, it just sort of stops and is silver half way in.
4. The end of the wheel bolt holes (the flat part that touches the hub face to the rear and the head of the wheel nut at the front are all going "orangey" as if beginning to rust already.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, similar issues on mine. In the inch wide gaps in the spokes (LE 17") there looks to be unpainted alloy and in others areas there is white dots. They look fine from a distance but up close they are quite poor.

I'm going to order some aftermarket black alloys next month to use for my winter tyres so I'll let you know what the paint quality is like on them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know if I should complain as not only has the alloy not been painted all black all over as can be seen from the missing paint inside the wheel bolt hole tubes but the black paint specs are everywhere even on the wheel bolt hole itself, which as you can also see is going orangey already, but not much point if they all are like that as VX will likely say its not a defect its how its supposed to be, hence why I'm asking on her for folk to check first.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hendry said:
I really don't know if I should complain as not only has the alloy not been painted all black all over as can be seen from the missing paint inside the wheel bolt hole tubes but the black paint specs are everywhere even on the wheel bolt hole itself, which as you can also see is going orangey already, but not much point if they all are like that as VX will likely say its not a defect its how its supposed to be, hence why I'm asking on her for folk to check first.
Hi hendry,

They won't paint inside the bolt holes or the bolts as they need metal to metal contact. If the paint breaks or flakes it can cause the bolt to become loose and eventually your wheels would fall off. :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bluesam said:
hendry said:
Hi hendry,

They won't paint inside the bolt holes or the bolts as they need metal to metal contact. If the paint breaks or flakes it can cause the bolt to become loose and eventually your wheels would fall off. :)
I understand that but any time ive had a car with silver alloys the whole of the bolt hole "tubes/openings have been silver (the bit I'm talking about is round the inside of the openings, not the actual part the wheel but touches the face of when tightened up) and also the fact the face as can bee seeing in the picture is going orangey as if its beginning to rust already.

·
Registered
75 Posts
hendry said:
Bluesam said:
hendry said:
Hi hendry,

I understand that but any time ive had a car with silver alloys the whole of the bolt hole "tubes/openings have been silver (the bit I'm talking about is round the inside of the openings, not the actual part the wheel but touches the face of when tightened up) and also the fact the face as can bee seeing in the picture is going orangey as if its beginning to rust already.
Yeah I know what you mean, it shouldn't rust so I wouldn't worry. They won't paint inside the tube they block all the Holes off before they are painted also prepping and painting inside tiny holes like that would be a chore. If your worried ask vauxhall dealer :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just noticed there's a "dimple" on one of the spokes on my NSR alloy, like when you put a screen protector on a mobile phone and there's a speck of dirt/dust on the screen which gets trapped under the screen protector leaving a "lump" so there must've been dirt/dust on my alloy when painted. It's minuscule and you've got to look for it but seeing as I've had the car for 1 month and 2 days from brand new I think that's not good enough, could lead to a bigger flaw on the wheel at some point down the line, so I'll be straight on to Vauxhall customer care tomorrow to enquire if it's the sort of thing covered under warranty (I've done my research and whilst all mechanical and electric non wear and tear faults are covered for the full 3 years/60k miles, paintwork is only covered for the first year (poor finish, paint defects etc. not corrosion this is covered for 6 years) as are wheels, clutch and flywheel only covered for the first 18,500 miles, wiper blades for the first 185 days, etc)

Reason I will do this before speaking to my dealer is they are hopeless and will likely say "that's not a fault or failure of a component or something doing something it shouldn't, it won't be warranty" so if I've spoke to Vauxhall first I can then say I've spoken to Vauxhall who say it's covered provided it is deemed defective part/poor workmanship and not due to abuse or neglect. I've googled and came across several Mokka owners getting new wheels due to corrosion and also Inaignia VXR owners due to flaking paint, interestingly they've also made mention of exterior chrome and bright work trim being replaced on warranty due to discolouring, tarnishing or going cloudy, so keep an eye on everything on your car cosmetically and get it in ASAP if it goes bad.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Hendry, another great spot will be checking mine closer, but do we need a new Post for "Alloy Wheels" to make easy for others to find in the future.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: (and also long post alert!)

I called Vauxhall customer care when I finished work to ask if wheel damage was covered under warranty, to which the helpful young lady advised that it should be covered under the 12 months paintwork and trim warranty, she advised bases on what I'd told her about the car being a month old, less than 1000 miles on the clock (ive done 700) and it seems like dirt/debris under the paint, and that I should visit my local Vauxhall dealer with a body shop as they will be more qualified to deal with paintwork stuff and other dealers without bodyshop may be reluctant to deal with it (my closest dealer to my house and with a bodyshop is the dealer I bought from, Arnold Clark, who are useless) and the nearest 2 after that are also Arnold Clark dealerships but are the other side of Glasgow and the outskirts of Glasgow. I asked if I could pop in to the one nearest my work (500 yards away) which doesn't have a bodyshop (again Arnold Clark but we use them work work cars and have a decent relationship with them) she said I could try and if they couldn't do it, they could advise where best to go.

Anyway, went in and spoke to the service advisor who took some details, called down to the baxk service office to confirm the dealership can self authorise alloy issues, got a mechanic out to take some photos, the mechanic tbh was a bit mardy, I pointers out 3 bits where there we're lumps under the paint (admittedly small but I advised I wasn't bothers if they stayed that size, but was worried it could be corrosion and the wheel could look a mess eventually, to which h replied I'd most likely have kerbedmthe wheel before that happened) anyway 3 said 1 was definitely a stone chip but the other 2 he agreed were dirt under the paint, he then asked if it was a brand new or pre reg car to which I replied it was brand new but did it matter if it was pretty reg as its still effectively brand new, he then said if it was pre reg that the wheel could've been damaged and refurbed badly, he took the photos and checked and saw the white spotty crap all over the back of the wheels and said that they can't have been refurbed as it still had the factory wax on the back of the alloys, he said it wasn't much to worry about but was definitely dirt under the paint and that it was odd and unusual, and that they would maybe swap my wheel for another off a Corsa on the forecourt, anyway back into the dealership to give the service advisor my reg and current mileage, she advisednthe mechanic had said there was a stone chip but that wouldnt have caused the dirt under the paint, she called down to parts to ask if they could order a wheel in, advised me it was on the parts to be ordered list and confirmed my contact number and said they would call when the wheel was in.

Bit confused tbh, I had thought when they said they could self authorise that they would just order a wheel and keep mine for a while in case Vauxhall warranty dept wanted to inspect (this usually happens with warranty stuff, we had a container full of warranty parts when I worked for Fiat/Citroen, they had to be kept so long unless the manufacturer wanted to inspect) then when they took photos I thought maybe they'd have to send photos to Vauxhall to confirm it would be replaced on warranty before ordering me a new 1, but they have anyway so I'm not sure why either they've taken photos if they can self authorise or why they are given authority by Vauxhall to self authorise if they need to send photos to Vauxhall and get their permission anyway. Surely should be 1 or the other, anyway I'm guessing/hoping that if they have ordered me a wheel then they must be going to do it under warranty?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another quick update, had a voicemail from the dealers service reception earlier to say new wheel now in stock and its getting changed on warranty :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.