Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had SylvE for 4 weeks now and enjoying her more and more. Love the little touches like the needle sweep and how I can set the lights to come on when I unlock her in the dark! I know it takes a good couple thousand miles for the engine to wear in properly and I've done 500 miles so far. Mpg should improve too. Got 35mpg (fully figure) from the first tank so this should improve in time as well. Am now on my second full tank of fuel and the first tank gave me 41 miles from the first 'block' on the gauge whereas this second tank gave me 54 miles so it's already improving.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Gald to hear all is going well for you Leachie :)

I suspect you are also used to the VW TSi engine which requires a completely different driving technique to the 1.4T VX engine. If you drive the 1.4T like a TSi engine you'll get dire mpg. The 1.4T has a narrow power band and needs to be driven like a diesel, keep those revs below 3K rpm wherever possible and ideally cruise at 1800-2000rpm no higher. (That is 60-70mph in 6th gear) AND do not change up just because the dash says so, often it will result in serious labouring of the engine and poor mpg. You need to judge the road condition and change up based on experience not the computer.

Dafny consistently does 45-48mpg in very short sub 3 mile stop start trips from cold (my wife shopping) and does upto 75mpg on long trips when warm so you are a fair way off that yet. I don't think Dafny has ever got below 45mpg even when thrashed and used entirely on short local trips so I think there is huge room for improvement once you get used to driving the 1.4T engine in a way it prefers - ie. not like a normal petrol engine.

Of course the instant mpg readout is essential for rapidly learning how a new engine likes to be driven as you can see immediately the effect of different rpms, different gears, labouring and throttle control and adapt your driving to get the best mpg. MFTC should be mandatory by EU law as they definately encourage more efficient driving.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this engine is very different and has taking some getting used to, especially the amount of revs needed to move off and biting point. Still getting used to that! I do tend to change up around the 1800 - 2000 mark anyway, and now I have got used to how she drives it is easy to keep here speed down in 30 zones. I used to have a diesel Meriva and she drives very similar to that, but that's the only diesel I have had. I just wish had the full mftc so I could see the mpg as it happens - I would rather that than the digital speedo (not sure why they took away the mpg screen and put the digital one in there) or tpms. I really do miss that, as, like you, I used that function in the Ibiza every day. The trip computer was always on that screen! It can get a bit obsessive though! :lol: I do hate not having any idea what mpg I am getting. Maybe I can get her tech2'd t enable the full mftc eventually. It's hard having to wait until fill up time to see how she's doing.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
Yes, this engine is very different and has taking some getting used to, especially the amount of revs needed to move off and biting point. Still getting used to that! I do tend to change up around the 1800 - 2000 mark anyway, and now I have got used to how she drives it is easy to keep here speed down in 30 zones. I used to have a diesel Meriva and she drives very similar to that, but that's the only diesel I have had. I just wish had the full mftc so I could see the mpg as it happens - I would rather that than the digital speedo (not sure why they took away the mpg screen and put the digital one in there) or tpms. I really do miss that, as, like you, I used that function in the Ibiza every day. The trip computer was always on that screen! It can get a bit obsessive though! :lol: I do hate not having any idea what mpg I am getting. Maybe I can get her tech2'd t enable the full mftc eventually. It's hard having to wait until fill up time to see how she's doing.
You can never truly tell how it's going anyway, the trip computer generally puts out higher numbers.

Also, do you not have TPMS or the TPMS screens then, or have I misread it?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do have the vehicle menu along with the trip menu. Trip menu scrolls between trip 1, trip 2 and digital speedo and the vehicle menu scrolls between oil life and tyre settings/infaltions info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't care about petrol atm but I'm literally loving the cars lil grunt it's formed. I've done 6k now and it's so ready to play on the roads. Still getting used to the no response when changing down to first grear tho. At 1k revs I was pondering if I should of waited for the fiesta but now 5k more miles I'm not. If I want fun it's there if I want save petrol it's there all in all this is vauxhalls best car since creation and the 16 Astra should be like this.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I've notice mine starting to growl a bit now too even at 500 miles. She certainly didn't do that to start with. It definitely takes some getting used to but I'm getting there now!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
You can never truly tell how it's going anyway, the trip computer generally puts out higher numbers.
True but actually it is irrelevant if it is accurate or not as long as its deviation is consistent.

If you can see the instant mpg dropping so you can ease off throttle or change gear that will still get you better mpg regardless of whether it is 10% out.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:
True but actually it is irrelevant if it is accurate or not as long as its deviation is consistent.

If you can see the instant mpg dropping so you can ease off throttle or change gear that will still get you better mpg regardless of whether it is 10% out.
True, true.

Though mine doesn't seem too consistent. My last two trips on the computer read out at around 44 (44.2-44.3), yet when I put it on Fuelly, it can back as 42 and then 40?! Ranges from 5-10% it seems!

LeachiE said:
Yes I do have the vehicle menu along with the trip menu. Trip menu scrolls between trip 1, trip 2 and digital speedo and the vehicle menu scrolls between oil life and tyre settings/infaltions info.
Aaah, I was gunna say!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am happy to report that this second full tank is faring better for miles than the first. I am know on 208 miles with half a tank still left. As I said above in my opening post, I got 41 miles from the first 'block' on the first full tank, and on this second tank I got 53.9. The first tank gave me 282 miles although I didn't wait for the last block to turn red because I don't feel I know the car well enough yet to trust the amount of fuel left. Already things are looking to be better than the first tank, which is very pleasing!

I have made a note on this tank of how many miles I am getting to each 'block' - 1st block = 53.9 miles, 2 = 41.6, third = 67.8 and 4th = 36.8. Not very consistent across the blocks, but I put that down to some days doing more miles than others. Interestingly, each block seems to last 2 or 3 days. Hopefully I should be getting nearer to 300 miles out of this tank.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
Well, I am happy to report that this second full tank is faring better for miles than the first. I am know on 208 miles with half a tank still left. As I said above in my opening post, I got 41 miles from the first 'block' on the first full tank, and on this second tank I got 53.9. The first tank gave me 282 miles although I didn't wait for the last block to turn red because I don't feel I know the car well enough yet to trust the amount of fuel left. Already things are looking to be better than the first tank, which is very pleasing!

I have made a note on this tank of how many miles I am getting to each 'block' - 1st block = 53.9 miles, 2 = 41.6, third = 67.8 and 4th = 36.8. Not very consistent across the blocks, but I put that down to some days doing more miles than others. Interestingly, each block seems to last 2 or 3 days. Hopefully I should be getting nearer to 300 miles out of this tank.
The petrol light goes red, then flashes red when it's very low - I.e. Fill up ASAP.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a 25 mile round trip this afternoon I have just hit 283.8 miles with 2 blocks left! :D Last tank gave me 282.1. Thinking about filling up with Momentum 99 on the next fill up.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
After a 25 mile round trip this afternoon I have just hit 283.8 miles with 2 blocks left! :D Last tank gave me 282.1. Thinking about filling up with Momentum 99 on the next fill up.
I doubt it will have much, if any, effect on anything other than your bank account :lol:

Especially with the sort of journeys you do. Mud would be able to tell you more (I'm sure he has a post about it somewhere!).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Motorway driving = yes, anything else = probably not. Like Limey said the journeys you do will have no real effect apart from draining your bank balance, if you were to be driving something like an Aston Martin then yes I'd suggest it but seen as theres a £80k price difference I'm pretty certain there is no need - I still can't believe you're only on 280 when we got the car around the same time and I've already done 3x that just by driving to/from work every weekday (only 20miles a day if that)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, it's 283 this far on the second tank with two blocks left. Done around 700 miles now.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I just got back home to tonight after a 250 mile round trip commute to work (after filling up before setting off) and I still have a range of 400 miles showing on the mftc with 5 bars left AND about 50% of that journey was at 70mph in high winds, rain, cold and all done in dark. Lights, heater, wipers and stereo on for most of journey. All done on standard BP unleaded. The high octane fuel I tried in Dafny over 800 miles actually gave worse mpg than standard unleaded. She prefers standard unleaded even for my mostly motorway/A road commute.

I'm convinced that in daylight in clear conditions I can get 80mpg out of this engine on my commute. I look forward to next summer to try for it :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I could never compete with your mileage Mud4fun! I will just be happy if I can get the same miles per tank as I did in the Ibiza. Hopefully more, but we shall see. On the two occasions that I put Momentum99 in the Ibiza, she felt less responsive, but I did get a few more miles per tank. Probably not worth me spending the extra unless I am going over to the mainland for a longer journey. I do about the same mileage commute as Matthew, around 20 miles round trip, but have started going a different route along a faster road, with a lot less stopping and starting for lights/junctions. In fact my usual route has 8 sets of fixed traffic lights, whereas the other route that I have started to take more often has just two sets of lights and a long stretch of national speed limit road.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's now up to 330 miles on this tank and still the last block on the gauge is white! I expect it will change to red tomorrow at some point. Right now it's looking like she should equal the miles per tank I was getting in the Ibiza on the next full tank, if not this one! If she can do that then I will be very happy.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Curiously my wife and I did some testing last week. We each started up from cold then drove into the local market town, went to the supermarket then drove home. A round trip of 9 miles (2 legs of 4.5 miles), 60% rural, 40% urban

Each of us drove an identical route and both of us started from cold engines that had been left overnight.

I achieved 45mpg where my wife only managed 33mpg in same car, same speed limits, same route, same payload.

The difference is how we use the throttle and brake. I accelerate quickly upto speed then cruise with big gaps to allow me to use engine braking and gearbox to slow down. My wife accelerates gently, taking say 5 times longer to reach same speed, she then uses the brakes to maintain speed and slow down, often driving too close to car in front and having to brake. She also makes constant steering corrections which I don't. Steering and braking always waste fuel.

Always worth experimenting with different driving styles to see what suits the car and engine :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts