Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from Ireland where I had a brand new Quashqai rental. There was a sticker in the window saying after the first 1000km it needed to go to dealer for a check up which would be free.
Is this the same with all cars? As I have had nothing to say the Corsa needs this also.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I am not aware of it. Bit late now as I've done 2K miles!

It used to be standard practise 30 years ago to take car back after 1K for them to swap out the running in oil.

New engines are built to finer tolerances, different materials and better oils so don't need the oil change at 1K generally.

·
Registered
961 Posts
liverpaul said:
I'm wondering about this also as my oil % is 78%
Yeah mines 89% and I haven't even done 1000 miles yet. I think up until maybe 2000 cars still went back for a 1000 mile inspection, I remember the service books for old Vauxhalls like Cavaliers, Astra mk3s and Corsa Bs had a section for the 1000 mile check stamp before the 1st year, 2nd year etc section stamp.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mine is at 87% after 2000 miles so is pretty much on target. I've been taking care not to rev too high or too often. Never been over 4K rpm (no point with the 1.4T as its torque is all below that) and I do alot of motorway cruising which is kinder to the engine than constant stop starts.

Edit: I did notice the oil life dropping quite quickly when I was off on holiday and I was doing lots of short local trips and no long commute. Normally when I'm working 90% of my weekly mileage is fast A road or motorway. I still think I'll need a service at at 18K not 20K.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
anthony said:
That function can also book overridden as I pressed reset by mistake and it want back to 100%
I think you are only meant to reset it when you've changed the oil. Useful to know it can be done by accident, we need to be careful with the reset!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Can I also point out to anyone who has no prior experience of modern Vauxhalls, like Anthony says you will likely get an error code - however I believe from experience with base model (Exclusiv) and SRi spec Astra Js that only the base model has an error code message, something like "Code 82" which means oil change due, the SRi Astra's with trip computer don't give a code like that as their instrument panel display is capable of displaying a proper "Change Engine Oil" message like Es equipped with trip computer can. BUT here's the more important point, and it will catch you out no doubt, it did for me with a work Insignia the first time it happened, if you get a message saying "Service Vehicle Soon" this does NOT mean the car is due a service e.g. oil and filter change type service, that's what the "Change Engine Oil" warning is for. "Service Vehicle Soon" is the car telling you there is an engine or mechanical fault with the vehicle, and it is not always accompanied by the engine management warning light, as it could be a fault not with the engine management/ECU side of things, for example the Insignia at work this happened to had a faulty turbo (drove like an n/a diesel so we knew something was wrong) and second time it happened it was a fault with the brake servo vacuum pump (63 plate but was in a serious accident and shouldve been written off, but the in-house accident management arm decided to repair it and its been a heap of junk since)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm on 500 miles and my oil is at 92%

I always thought a first service came at 6000 or 6 months as that was what happened when I worked at Peugeot (although that was 9 years ago) so I was surprised when I found out the E's first would be at 1 year.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
ANTsting-R said:
I'm on 500 miles and my oil is at 92%.
Bl**dy hell Ant, at that rate you'll need an oil change at 6K!!! :eek:

You are aware that the red line on the tacho is not the shift change point? ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Well I've done another 300 miles of motorway this week and oil life remains at 87% at 2387 miles.

So in theory it won't need changing until I hit 18K miles but I'll hit the 12 month service before I get to that mileage.

Edit: I have noticed that the oil life goes down really quick when doing short local trips of sub 10 mile but it hardly moves when doing very long motorway trips so I can see why we have such a wide range of oil life drops from very low miles to very high depending on different peoples usage.

I'm going to guess that the rate of drop in oil life will also relate to mpg too, the cars with the faster drop in oil life also being those getting the lower mpg due to town traffic and short trips?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thinking about this a bit more, the E has a service interval of 1 year/20,000 miles, but what's the point of that when it has an oil life remaining %age and I'd hazard a guess not 1 person will hit 0% at exactly that date or mileage figure so why not make it 1 year/as per oil life indicator - whichever is sooner.

I mean, let's say theoretically my oil life % goes to 0 at 6 months and with 10,000 miles covered, should I get it serviced then because the oil life is 0% or continue to drive the car for another 6 months/10,000 miles until its reached the service interval mileage/time, its all a bit confusing, why bother having a life % if you have a date and mileage, and why bother with a date and mileage if you have a %, just do it as and when the % goes to 0 :?

Also if you are doing a lot of frequent town or stop start driving (most days the only drive my car gets is 10 miles of rush hour, queing or stop start motorway traffic there and back to work) should you replace the oil and filter more frequently even if the oil life %age is OK, or is it designed in such a way it will detect its doing lots of journeys putting a lot more strain on the car than motorway cruising at high speeds for long distances and reduce the oil life quicker automatically.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Agreed, bizarre!

I know that certain items like brake fluid deteriorate with age so need replacing every so many years hence the need for time based service. However the oil life is odd.

I would agree with your thoughts, my experience shows minimal drop in oil life on long motorway runs at a steady 60mph and yet quick drops in oil life if I drive in town or do lots of short trips so it looks like it is adjusting itself on something other than simply the number of miles driven or hours run. It must have an algorithm being used to reduce oil life display based on number of cold starts etc?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts