Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LE 1.0T what are others using and are u getting better results with higher octane or not?

G

·
There are people that will say you should run the higher octane fuel because you have a turbo and yes it will run on that fuel but to be honest you would be spending extra money for little or no gain. All of the current Corsa petrol engines are designed to run on standard unleaded fuel, the valve timing, the ignition advance/retard, the injector timing/duration etc are all set for a specific octane rating.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, I agree with gkmorris.

On modern cars the ECU will automatically adjust engine to compensate against variables in fuel and the result is that unless your car is specifically designed or remapped for high octane you'll get no real gains. In fact you could end up with worse mpg and less power.

It is an entirely different situation with old engines with mechanical timing. While I can't talk about petrol as I have only driven diesels for last ten years, I manually advanced my fuel injection pump on my old land rover specifically to suit the characteristics of Shell VPower diesel and the results were impressive with noticable power gains and better mpg. So yes the premium fuels can make a difference but only when engine is set up for them.

However premium fuels such as Vpower and ultimate along with the better quality, more expensive standard fuels contain cleansing additives which on a higher mileage engine can keep the injection system clean and performing well. Cheap supermarket fuel does not always contain the cleaners so performance and mpg will drop over time if cheap fuels are used BUT I'm talking seriously high mileage. For most on here their annual mileages will be so low and with all of us having new engines the cleaners are not going to be needed.

In my case I have been doing 30K miles a year in a large 4x4 pickup truck. It has run on premium diesel since new, regularly beats its government official 35mpg and has now done 260K miles on an engine and injection system untouched since it left the factory new. It is also still matching or beating the official mpg even at that sky high mileage. It also has so much power in the mid range that it can happily give BMW's a fright on the motorway. So in the right circumstances premium fuels are excellent. For the majority they are waste of Time.

Shell standard diesel has actually given me my highest recorded figure of 43mpg which slaughtered the official 35mpg extra urban figure for my two ton pickup truck :cool:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
anthony said:
Good write up Ian, sums up in simple terms
Thanks Anthony, as per normal my comment was a bit long, must try to be more concise!! :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, I'm only a young whipper snapper (aged 47) :mrgreen:

I did wonder if I was a bit too old to be buying an LE but then I saw that article of the guy with the flaming yellow corsa LE 'ruining' the view of the period cottages and felt alot better as he looked to be in his 60's :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts