Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally I'll just fill my car up with whatever's cheapest so usually just Asdas unleaded, as its normally 2/3 year old used car I buy and other owners have probably put other cheap supermarket fuel in anyway, but I'm wondering since this is my first new car and nobody has filled it with any of that if there's any benefit to using Shell V-power Nitro plus or even standard Shell fuel or if it makes nok difference whether I use cheaper supermarket fuel, I'm just thinking with better quality fuel it might make the car run better, more responsive, return more mpg and as its got decent stuff going through the engine that surely can't be bad for it in terms of how it reliability, mechanical and engine wear etc.

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm wife just fills up in sainsburys has done since we got it.Mind you I believe sometimes it's best to pay a bit more and use shell or BP

·
Registered
356 Posts
I used shell for years with my old astra.

Then i got a tesco club card and started filling up in tesco and after two months my car started misfiring. I moved to bp and it cured itself.

I did not believe the hype about supermarket fuels being poorer quality but now I won't risk it.

My local shell closed down.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I may have been misinformed but until2 years ago I worked as an IT engineer. A customer who work for LOR at killingholme told me all supermarkets with the exception of tesco for their fuel from either LOR OR CONICO near Scunthorpe.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, all fuel (other than the synthetic Vpower and ultimate) are essentially the same at source to my knowledge. They all have to comply with a standard. However I believe additives are then added, the additives being cleaners etc. The additives are expensive so supermarkets may choose not to add them. This means that continual use of cheaper fuel may eventually result in poor performance. In other cases it is simply that the supermarkets buy in from various sources which results in inconsistency. That is why I prefer to buy Shell standard petrol and diesel as it will contain cleaners and it will be to a consistent quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts