Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and again I'm finding it hard to get third gear even though the other gears are very smooth and clutch is fully down

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but this sort of thing is often down to driver. Certain gears need slightly longer pauses when changing than others because they are on a different shaft in the gearbox. If you try and rush the change it will baulk. I found the same on mine when I got it so try taking a fraction of a second longer when changing. Also the engine revs have to be about right for a smooth gear change. Too high or low and it will grind. The 6spd on the 1.4T likes to change at around 2000rpm with a slightly longer pause on the change than in some other gearboxes such as Ford or Honda. Each engine and gearbox has a sweet spot for gear changing.

Try adjusting your gear changes slightly to see if it makes any difference. If not then back to the dealer. Better to try different rpms and speeds of change first though before dealer tells you that there is nothing wrong! ;-)

My wife and I can change gear on our old classic Land Rovers beautifully smoothly and crunch free whereas friends struggle to change the gears without crunching. They are just not used to the timings of the changes which need to be particularly slow on those old boxes and engine has to be within a few hundred rpm of the ideal change point!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my 14T. it's only done 1300 miles in 3 months. everything was fine until a few weeks ago. I have driven the car in the same manner. its very confusing because I can change to 3rd around 5 times then out of the blue its feels like I have clutch half way. I'm confident there is issues with box. I will be going to the dealers in a few weeks and speak about this. no doubt they will try there best saying everything is perfect !!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Google Double de-clutching!

Last time I drove my dad's Land Rover back in the 60's you had to get the revs right because first and second had no synchro-mesh. Going from third to second needed this double-de-clutch technique. First to second just needed a bit of patience. I used to watch bus drivers through the school bus window doing it in the 50's and 60's, stopping in neutral for up to three seconds between gears on the way up, and d/declutching on the way down. Synchro cones are a brilliant invention but not trouble free and sometimes cannot overcome, say, a draggy clutch..

SkyBlue, If the problem is going from fourth to third than try the technique (shift from 4th to neutral, lift the clutch and blip the throttle then clutch down and change to third) If that fixes it then the synchro cones may be to blame - major box problem if it is.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jarviser said:
Google Double de-clutching!

Last time I drove my dad's Land Rover back in the 60's you had to get the revs right because first and second had no synchro-mesh. Going from third to second needed this double-de-clutch technique. First to second just needed a bit of patience. I used to watch bus drivers through the school bus window doing it in the 50's and 60's, stopping in neutral for up to three seconds between gears on the way up, and d/declutching on the way down. Synchro cones are a brilliant invention but not trouble free and sometimes cannot overcome, say, a draggy clutch..

SkyBlue, If the problem is going from fourth to third than try the technique (shift from 4th to neutral, lift the clutch and blip the throttle then clutch down and change to third) If that fixes it then the synchro cones may be to blame - major box problem if it is.
Extremely unlikely. Probably more likely to be a driver error which has damaged the slot or just not inserting correctly.

Modern cars do not/should not require such techniques, nor should you attempt it if you are not comfortable with it - mostly because it will likely cause clutch damage.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It only happens when changing from second up to third probably one in ten gear shifts and yes I the clutch is fully down and I change at about 2500 revs

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jarviser said:
Ok then in that direction I agree, take a tad more time between 2 and 3 and use light finger or thumb pressure.
Agreed.

You're probably changing too quick, or not quite getting it in gear before lifting the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.