Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my corsa e limited edition 1.2 in red for about a month now and I've noticed a couple of times it struggles going smoothly into first gear... I'm a mechanic myself but just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem.... Most likely just "new ness" haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Hay yep I found that with first, although it is started to wear in now, (had it about a month now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Never had any issue with my gearbox, but it seems those with a 5 speed have found it to be clunky. My dads one isn't as smooth as mine either, so I suspect it's just the 5 speed box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Like Limey I've had no issues at all with my 6 speed box however there have been quite a few posts from people complaining of crunching or stubborn changes on the 5 speed box so you are not alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Like Limey I've had no issues at all with my 6 speed box however there have been quite a few posts from people complaining of crunching or stubborn changes on the 5 speed box so you are not alone.
I've always known VX gearboxes to be clunky and need a sledgehammer to change gear, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the 6 speed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I've got the 5 speed and yes it can be hard to change gear mostly 1st and 2nd when cold but as things warm up is gets better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
I've always known VX gearboxes to be clunky and need a sledgehammer to change gear, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the 6 speed!
:lol:

Funny thing is that my 6 speed box is actually one of the nicest changing boxes I've had for ages. It has a nice feel to the change. It changes smoothly and it also tolerates quick changes under hard acceleration too which many modern boxes don't like.

Several of my recent vehicles have felt very vague and all too willing to balk or grind under similar abuse. It was one of the things that I noticed when I test drove the Polo, Fiesta, Fabia, Rio and Corsa back to back. The Corsa 6 speed was the slickest changing box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
I have to say on forward gears my 5 speed has been perfect, it is a little notchy but that to me is just the tightness of a new gearbox, otherwise it changes no problem, its slick but tight, really good IMO. I have however had the odd struggle to get reverse, I usually dip the clutch, wait 5 seconds, pull up the tab on the gear lever and move it across to reverse and the odd time it won't go in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
hendry said:
I have to say on forward gears my 5 speed has been perfect, it is a little notchy but that to me is just the tightness of a new gearbox, otherwise it changes no problem, its slick but tight, really good IMO. I have however had the odd struggle to get reverse, I usually dip the clutch, wait 5 seconds, pull up the tab on the gear lever and move it across to reverse and the odd time it won't go in.
A lot of boxes struggle engaging reverse, most of my jap pickups and my Land Rovers are buggers for it. I have to lightly blip the throttle before engaging reverse on them. Mind you they are generally straight cut gears with no synchromesh on the reverse idlers. Not sure if the Corsa gearbox still uses straight cut gears on its reverse?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
hendry said:
I have to say on forward gears my 5 speed has been perfect, it is a little notchy but that to me is just the tightness of a new gearbox, otherwise it changes no problem, its slick but tight, really good IMO. I have however had the odd struggle to get reverse, I usually dip the clutch, wait 5 seconds, pull up the tab on the gear lever and move it across to reverse and the odd time it won't go in.
A lot of boxes struggle engaging reverse, most of my jap pickups and my Land Rovers are buggers for it. I have to lightly blip the throttle before engaging reverse on them. Mind you they are generally straight cut gears with no synchromesh on the reverse idlers. Not sure if the Corsa gearbox still uses straight cut gears on its reverse?
That I have no idea about, however I'm guessing it's just newness because ive hardly used reverse in the 2450 miles the car has covered, and I'm guessing it's the same box as used in the Corsa D and if I remember right on each and every one of them when they were brand new they were the same and they are all fine now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Not sure if the Corsa gearbox still uses straight cut gears on its reverse?
if it whines when you pick up some speed on reverse then its straight cut...which I think it is
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhh cheers for the replys guys!! Yeah it doesn't do it once it's been on a drive once the oil is warm... Im sure it's just new ness haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Pjs1992 said:
Had my corsa e limited edition 1.2 in red for about a month now and I've noticed a couple of times it struggles going smoothly into first gear... I'm a mechanic myself but just wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem.... Most likely just "new ness" haha
I also have Limited Edition 1.2, and I'm experiencing the same thing. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks so I suppose time will tell if it fixes itself!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
My corsa E struggles with third gear and this is the six speed box I've had it three months and only done just over 700 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Klesmy said:
I've got the 5 speed and yes it can be hard to change gear mostly 1st and 2nd when cold but as things warm up is gets better
Hi!
I have the same problem. Did you solve it. I went to service, and on some kind they ignor me in way to solve the problem.

Aleksandar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Hi guys, I got told by Christopher Martino off of one of the Corsa E facebook forums that the gearbox oil is particularly low quality in the M32 Gearboxes used in the 6 speed E gearboxes, changing the gearbox fluid and filling it up an extra 750ml should apparently smoothen the gears up and you'll notice it straight away. He's got a VXR thats the demo model for Cobra Exhaust systems so he's a pretty trustworthy source for this too, seeing as he had to rebuild his gearbox himself when the gearbox shit itself out the back of his VXR not long after he bought it and they wouldn't cover it under his warranty, should go on the facebook forums and just ask around about the problems with the 6 speed, loads of people on there talking about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Mr Martino, a member of this forum, is far from a reliable source. He mapped his 1.4T well over the safe limits and I recall him experiencing problems with that gearbox. Then he was planning similar tuning to his VXR including mods that were illegal and when this was pointed out to him he threw his toys out of the pram and quit this forum.

I've done 21K miles on my M32 box and have zero issues, as have tens of thousands of others. If VX refused to fix his box it was likely there were clear signs of modifications and/or abuse that caused the failure in the first place. Make sure you get the full story before taking anything as gospel. Sure there could be manufacturing faults but given that the majority of reported faults on this box seem to come from young drivers and/or mapped cars I would suggest poor gear changes or abuse is more often the cause than design flaw or manufacturing fault.

The 1.2, 1.0T and 1.4T apparently all have different boxes anyway so it is unlikely to be a design flaw on all of them?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top