Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, I use it to monitor things for myself and want accuracy so I take care to enter the data as best I can. The problem with making it a competition is it is all too easy for people to manipulate the figures. I've seen a few people putting in stupidly low litres for high mileages so they end up with 100mpg from a 3.5litre V8 Land Rover where in reality it would get something like 18mpg!

I don't need to cheat because I'm getting excellent mpg anyway :)

I like fuelly as it is a nice way to monitor both the car and your driving. We found out a bearing was dying in my wife's Land Rover gearbox after noticing a steady decline in mpg over a few months despite no obvious changes to driving or journeys etc. Difference was only small and would not normally have been noticed other than from viewing the data in fuelly over a long period. It is also fun to try and beat your own personal bests. Nice tool :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I signed up earlier, waiting for activation email!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Some tips from my experience with fuelly:

When you first start to use it DO NOT enter your first fill up from the last fill up you did or you'll end up with odd figures.

Fill your tank to the brim and reset the trip to zero. Then drive about until you need to fill up again. This time ask for a receipt so you have the litres used. Take a photo of your trip before resetting it to zero so you have a note of the mileage done. You can now use these figures for your first fuel up in fuelly.

Then in fuelly make sure you setup your vehicle to record in UK mpg (you'll enter the fuel ups in litres) using trip readings not odo! If you choose odo and end up missing a fuel up it causes havoc.

Also avoid doing partial fill ups. When adding a fuel up it gives you the option of setting it as a partial so you can say just stick in £10 worth of fuel however to get most accuracy you really need to run till nearly empty then brim the tank.

Don't be surprised if your fuelly mpg is lower than your trip computer. The computers seem to be programmed to always read higher than actual.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
mud4fun said:
The rest of us might as well just give up now, don't think we'll ever beat this 112mpg :eek:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/vauxhall/corsa/2015/vall/353389

Considering the best I've had by driving like a granny is a steady 75mpg over a short 20 mile trip I suspect Vall may have miskeyed his data ;-) ;-)
Defo a typo and mistake. Surely not possible. He doesn't have consistant history chart either.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yeah, I thought that too but surely you'd notice a typo because fuelly shows you the mpg after saving the fuel up and it would be obvious if there was an error and you'd simply correct it. I notice another 100mpg a few fillups further down too and that has not been corrected. I assume Vall must genuinely believe the figures are correct!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I know that I found Fuelly really confusing to start with - mud4fun was really helpful when I got stuck! I do have a woman's brain though! :lol:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LeachiE said:
I do have a woman's brain though! :lol:
Oi you, my youngest daughters (aged 8 and 10) already understand the workings of an internal combustion engine and they aren't far off being able to build an engine themselves! By the time they are 18 both of them will have built their own Land Rovers from scratch. Nowt wrong with womens brains or mechanical skills. :) (might make an exception for my eldest daughter who is blonde though..... ;) )

I will however concede that setting up fuelly is a PITA and I also got it wrong at first and it was a while before it dawned on me that the best way of using it is to always use trip readings and NOT odo readings and to make sure you have it set to record fillups in litres not US gallons.

If you use odo readings and miss a fuel up all your figures get screwed up. Also NEVER do partial fillups using fuelly as it is dreadfully inaccurate. The best way to use it is always brim the tank at each fillup and reset your trip so you can use that to record miles done between fillups. Just take a photo of the trip at the petrol station before resetting it so you have a record of what it was for use later when updating fuelly. The other thing that catches people out is NOT to enter your first fuel up where you have brimmed the tank, that is just your control fillup in order to know that your tank was full when you set the trip to zero. It will be your second (or subsequent) fillup that you will record in fuelly.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Your daughter's only know what they do because you have taught them! The youngest probably knows more than I do! Maybe I should re-phrase that to 'most women's car brains'! :lol: I don't know that much when it comes to engines, but I have picked up tricks over the years from forums like this - like the time I caught my Corsa D's rear wheel arch on a concrete pillar in a car park - a forum post was a great help in learning how to remove the yellow paint that the pillar shared with my car.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LeachiE said:
Your daughter's only know what they do because you have taught them! The youngest probably knows more than I do! Maybe I should re-phrase that to 'most women's car brains'! :lol: I don't know that much when it comes to engines, but I have picked up tricks over the years from forums like this - like the time I caught my Corsa D's rear wheel arch on a concrete pillar in a car park - a forum post was a great help in learning how to remove the yellow paint that the pillar shared with my car.
LOL, true to a point, my daughters can identify and name most of the parts of a Land Rover because we've spent hours playing games/quizzes where they have to indentify parts from pictures or from me pointing to parts on the Land Rovers. The 8 year old has actually helped me to strip and rebuild an engine and she surprised me in her strength because she could actually rotate the engine on the engine stand which is impressive in itself as well as use the socket wrench to undo most of the bolts holding the engine together even those that were torqued up to quite a high torque. Sadly the only downside to all this is that the 8 year old is also a girly girl in many respects and while she has every intention of building her first Land Rover, she wants to paint it pink!!! AARRRRGGGHHHHHH :eek: :cry: The 10 year old is more of a tomboy and her first car will be a vintage fire engine if she has her way.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Aww! Haha! They sound like lovely kids! I agree with the youngest - a pink Land Rover would look awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts