Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of folks complain that their cars don't achieve anything like the official figures but I have to say I'm well impressed by Dafny so far despite not being fully run in yet. I have to wonder if it is simply that people are not driving economically, only doing very short distances so the engine is not warmed up or are selecting inappropriate engines for their typical journeys?

Her official figures are: (1.4T 100PS stop/start)

Urban: 42.8
Extra Urban: 64.2
Combined: 54

Today I did a mostly motorway 52 mile round trip from Scunthorpe to Doncaster at a steady 56mph using cruise control. This is a much higher average speed than the government test is run at (39mph) and it was not ideal conditions due to a bit a breeze. She managed a very impressive 59mpg average over the 52 miles

Car Speedometer Automotive design Gauge Tachometer

So far on this tank I've done 152 miles, the 52 miles of motorway plus about 100 miles of shorter local trips. The majority of those local journeys have been with myself, my wife and two kids on board (8 and 10yr olds) plus shopping etc. About 30 miles were in heavy stop start town traffic.

We averaged about 42mpg in town conditions so very close to the official urban figure despite the full load of people on board.

The average over this tank so far is 45.7mpg with 60% town driving/40% motorway. Had I done a 50/50 split of town/motorway (and without the whole family on board) the tank average would also be much closer to the official combined figure.

Car Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Tachometer

I think this shows that official figures can be achieved even in real world driving with appropriate engine for conditions and driving more carefully and slowing down. Congratulations to Vauxhall on a fantastic engine too. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I was never really bothered too much about mpg figures in the past as I never had the info available in previous cars until I got the Ibiza. Now every drive is a challenge to see what figure I can achieve! I regularly get 45 mpg on the less than 10 mile route to work and back. Most I ever achieved was on a different route at mainly 40mph of just over 60mpg.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LeachiE said:
I was never really bothered too much about mpg figures in the past as I never had the info available in previous cars until I got the Ibiza. Now every drive is a challenge to see what figure I can achieve! I regularly get 45 mpg on the less than 10 mile route to work and back. Most I ever achieved was on a different route at mainly 40mph of just over 60mpg.
You definately need to get a model with the multi-function trip computer Leachie , LE, SE or SRi :)

As you can see above it runs two different trips concurrently so I have the whole tank fillup on trip 2 and I used the trip 1 for the single motorway journey. There is another few screens that show you and instant/live mpg figure as you drive along and a digital speedo screen too which is very useful for driving through 30mph limits because the main speedo doesn't have a marker at the 30mph.

G

·
Totally agree with you Ian, ok I'm not getting as good economy as you as the wife uses it during the week for short journeys (plus she has a lead foot lol) but I'm still averaging 46-47 mpg which is enough to keep me happy

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
gkmorris said:
Totally agree with you Ian, ok I'm not getting as good economy as you as the wife uses it during the week for short journeys (plus she has a lead foot lol) but I'm still averaging 46-47 mpg which is enough to keep me happy
You should get a competition going with your wife to see who can get the highest mpg reading - it might encourage her to take her lead boots off! :D

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife only manages 42 when driving the exact same route as I manage 46mpg on. It is not because she has a lead foot but because she was not brought up the old way of listening to engine and feeling car while driving.

True it is difficult to hear the 1.4T as it is so quiet but even so, she tends to be in the wrong gear at the wrong time, holds on to gears too long or doesn't judge distances/timings to traffic lights/roundabouts so she ends up braking, stopping and then having to accelerate all of which kill mpg. I tend to lift off, gradually slow but maintaining some forward motion then speed up again using less accelerator. It is surprising how small changes in driving behaviour add up to big mpg gains or losses.

If I try to explain how she needs to change she just gets upset and tells me to shut up so I just live with it. She has her own car so as not to ruin my mpg :) :)

To be fair she has massively improved on her driving since I bought her a Series Land Rover which doesn't forgive bad driving.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You guys lucky ?? try getting a good result from the ( Auto SE ) on only short journeys, best I got so far is 35.5 mpg Ugh and done 891 miles in 6 weeks now just transporting local family around.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Derek, yes autos have always had poorer mpg than manuals. No matter how clever they try and make them they'll never beat a decent driver and manual box.

Even the cruise control is woefully inefficient compared to driving manually. I deliberately set it on cruise control to be fair. Had I been driving manually I would have allowed the vehicle to slow down on inclined and then regain speed down the other side while engine is not using any fuel. The cruise tries to maintain the 56mph up inclines which uses more fuel.

Also I have found that I get better mpg by dropping a gear on inclines when driving manually but I get lazy when running cruise control and don't change down. I would probably have got 61mpg driving that same motorway stretch without cruise control.

If it makes you feel any better, my car only gets 38mpg when driving to the shop in the next village for my ****. It is only 2 miles away. In summer I use the mountain bike instead :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW 900 miles in 6 weeks! I'll have done that by the end of this week (2 weeks from getting it), already past 500 :)

You were absolutely spot on when you told me it was worth the wait. I'm in love with the car. It feels so big when driving too, the general ride quality is similar to a Passat I drove a decade or so ago, slightly firm but not uncomfortable and engine is so torquey that it is lazy to drive just like a big diesel, it rarely needs a gearchange. On top of that is the economy which is amazing for a petrol, actually getting mpg that would be considered good for a diesel only 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
mud4fun said:
BTW 900 miles in 6 weeks! I'll have done that by the end of this week (2 weeks from getting it), already past 500 :)
I have had my current car almost 4 years now and she's still under 20,000 miles! :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks Ian, really pleased you enjoying your new purchase, I'm retired for passed couple of years so no need to do the miles any more except for pleasure trips. Yes I been keeping an eye on mpg reports on here & they seem really good for the New Corsa. We in April now & what is encouraging is for a New Release Vehicle that we have had no real issues to read about, just teething problems which you could expect. So maybe the Adam has solved most of these for us. Happy days

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes it comes to something when the only fault I have with new car is that it may be fitted with a more powerful engine than I paid for ;-) ;-)

PS. Leachie, 20K would be about nine months mileage for me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I fuelled up and reset the trip and went up to the Lake District today. Mostly A65 then M6 for roughly 30 mile up to Penrith. Then went through ullswater and over the kirkstone pass (goes 1500 ft high!) then drops down into Windermere and this is what I achieved in my 1.0t with me and one passenger... View attachment 30

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who needs a smelly noisy diesel when the petrols are this good eh? Economy for the commute and great performance when you want to have some fun :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
mud4fun said:
You definately need to get a model with the multi-function trip computer Leachie , LE, SE or SRi :)

As you can see above it runs two different trips concurrently so I have the whole tank fillup on trip 2 and I used the trip 1 for the single motorway journey. There is another few screens that show you and instant/live mpg figure as you drive along and a digital speedo screen too which is very useful for driving through 30mph limits because the main speedo doesn't have a marker at the 30mph.
Yes, the mpg reading is something I would definitely miss if I didn't have it. I am considering either SE or SRi with winter pack now. I do like black wheels, they won't look as dirty as silver ones, lol! My Ibiza have 2 different trips too, although I just leave it on the setting for current trip readings. The live mpg figures can be ridiculous at time! I didn't like the digital speedo that was in my brother's C3 a few years ago but I loved it in the LE that I test drove, so that is also something I want!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
can I ask what fuel others are using, since I've had my car my wife has used it more than me and always fills up at Sainsbury's. I've been using the car more the past few days and the best I can get urban is 29-31mpg. I have tried everything and unable to get into the mid 30s. now could this be down the supermarket fuel?

1.4 non turbo LE

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.