Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy! Quarter 2 offers look to be the same as quarter 1's! Was hoping different specs would be included in the 0% offer this quarter. :x

·
Registered
55 Posts
LeachiE, I am sure if you are NOT in a hurry check out next Month Vauxhall nornally do a 48 Hour Sale/Offers and you could get on top of a deal £500.00 of petrol. That is what happened to me last Year. I ordered my 14 plate Corsa D(April 27th) and then only 3 weeks later I got an email(Vauxhall) to say what about £500.00 if I order a Corsa this weekend May 17/18) I was not happy but the dealer said it did not apply to me even if i ordered at the correct time due to mind been a Factory Order and with SunRoof. So wait and see if you can get deal hopefully will be on again thi May fingers crossed or sometime again this Summer and check which Corsa E you would be able to get to get the deal.. Hope this helps. I pick my Corsa E on Monday 13th and if I hear something I will get back to you :) :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi I was advised in Feb that as the Corsa E was priced already so low that don't expwct many offers for the near future ( ?? ) and especially on VX Partners schemes / 0% VX offers - main reason I bit the bullet & purchased early. But I could be wrong & loads off offers may appear. Best of luck with your searches.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Also be aware that the Corsa E is selling like hot cakes at the moment so unlikely that VX will offer too many additional discounts/incentives. The discounting normally applies at the end of a models life not at the start. Trust me, the car is amazing and well worth the money. It FAR surpasses anything else that I test drove (Fiesta, Fabia and Polo) and so far the performance and economy is also far better than its competition in real world driving. Sadly the only negative I can say about it is the fact that there are alot of badge snobs out there who look down on Vauxhalls as inferior to their VAG models. I just grin in the knowledge that I paid thousands less for what is actually a better car! :) (Certainly for my needs and journey types anyway)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! Certainly, almost 4 years ago when I got my Ibiza, it was a massive improvement from my Corsa 1.2, so I can see why people would have looked down on Vx in the past, just as I did, lol! The D was so underpowered that I didn't dare venture onto a motorway in her! At the time, I said that it was a shame that Vx didn't make cars with those small turbo engines, and now they do! I am in no hurry to change, but hopefully by next winter. It's the winter pack and turbo engine that is tempting me. My brother drives a BMW 1 series and even that has all the toys, apart from the heated steering wheel that I am sure would greatly improve the health of my hands in winter! I was just disappointed to find that the offers were still the same. I can't afford to buy outright, which is why I am after 0%. LE would be way too costly as I need winter pack added, so now I think I have finally decided that SRi with winter pack is the way to go, there are no offers, lol! Still, there is the Island motor show to look forward to in July, and I know there will be weekend only deals from most, if not all, dealers, so I guess I shall wait a bit longer! Unfortunately, the Island dealer isn't a large one and won't have a huge choice in stock either, so I'm pretty sure it will mean factory order anyway.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Leachie, I do find it funny when people say that the 1.2 corsa was so slow it was dangerous. My wife and I drive classic Land Rovers. Hers has just 26hp at the rear wheels, a maximum speed of 56mph and 0-60 in about 30 seconds and yet we drive all over the country in them including thousands of miles of motorway. The 1.2 Corsa is a rocket ship in comparison! :)

It just needs a completely different mentality to drive than a very powerful car. Overtaking, hills etc all need good judge of distance, planning and very accurate gear selection and ability to maintain momentum at all costs. I enjoy driving them and would never consider them any more dangerous than any other car. In fact I find them enjoyable BECAUSE they demand 110% driver involvement to get from A to B.

However I can see that people only used to modern powerful cars may struggle. I grew up with grossly underpowered vehicles and was taught to drive them accordingly so it has never been an issue.

Modern hatchbacks are stupidly powerful really. I see numerous people complaining that the 1.4T ONLY produces 98bhp!!! This is only a 1.1 ton hatchback, power to weight ratio is better than many muscle cars of the 60's.

I find it plenty quick enough and in fact probably too quick really as it leads to driver frustration when stuck behind slower moving vehicles. In the Land Rovers you'd just sit back, relax and accept that you'd be stuck behind them. In the Corsa I know it has enough power to overtake so instead of relaxing I instead get frustrated at being stuck and am finding I'm more inclined to spend all the time looking for a gap to appear where I can zoom past. Result is that faster cars lead to more frustration and more risk taking IMHO

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see your point! I got the Corsa 1.2 after a 1.9cdti Meriva, so I guess I never really got used to it. You say about how powerful the 1.4t is, and i agree! Having tried that one at the dealer it made me rethink my engine choice. (You may remember that I was set on getting a 1.0t 115ps). Glad I joined on here as all your posts and everyone elses will have helped me make a better informed decision on my next car. A few weeks ago I might have jumped right in with the 1.0t without considering the other options. Now, I have totally changed my mind on both trim and engine size thanks to this forum!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know if this is all vx dealers, but the one I used (perrys) the dealer told me that vauxhall was planning on scrapping the 0% finance as they have found that people are more inclined to just keep the car they have. Just like they have now scrapped the lifetime warrenty and just give it a 3 year 60000 mile warrenty instead (even though I wasn't told this upon ordering my car as they didn't even know at that point annoyingly). So instead they are going to be concentrating more on PCP finance that way after 3 years the warrenty has run out or after reaching the end of the PCP contract instead of giving the car back or paying the final payment people will be more likely to select another car and give them more business. Like I say don't know if it's true for all vx dealers but that's what the one at perrys vx told me

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's interesting James! I have had several Vauxhalls over the years and they have always had the 0% finance offers running during that time.

Also, another interesting thing I have just found is this - yesterday and today I have run through configuration of exactly the same spec of SRi 5dr, met paint and winterpack and today's price is £180 more than yesterday's! Cheeky buggers!

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Leachie, I do find it funny when people say that the 1.2 corsa was so slow it was dangerous. My wife and I drive classic Land Rovers. Hers has just 26hp at the rear wheels, a maximum speed of 56mph and 0-60 in about 30 seconds and yet we drive all over the country in them including thousands of miles of motorway. The 1.2 Corsa is a rocket ship in comparison! :)

It just needs a completely different mentality to drive than a very powerful car. Overtaking, hills etc all need good judge of distance, planning and very accurate gear selection and ability to maintain momentum at all costs. I enjoy driving them and would never consider them any more dangerous than any other car. In fact I find them enjoyable BECAUSE they demand 110% driver involvement to get from A to B.

However I can see that people only used to modern powerful cars may struggle. I grew up with grossly underpowered vehicles and was taught to drive them accordingly so it has never been an issue.

Modern hatchbacks are stupidly powerful really. I see numerous people complaining that the 1.4T ONLY produces 98bhp!!! This is only a 1.1 ton hatchback, power to weight ratio is better than many muscle cars of the 60's.

I find it plenty quick enough and in fact probably too quick really as it leads to driver frustration when stuck behind slower moving vehicles. In the Land Rovers you'd just sit back, relax and accept that you'd be stuck behind them. In the Corsa I know it has enough power to overtake so instead of relaxing I instead get frustrated at being stuck and am finding I'm more inclined to spend all the time looking for a gap to appear where I can zoom past. Result is that faster cars lead to more frustration and more risk taking IMHO
Whilst I agree to a big extent with what you are saying, I don't think you even need to be used to a faster car to think a Corsa D 1.2 is dangerously slow, just one which can keep up with traffic, the most powerful car I've ever owned was a 1.8 125bhp Astra and I found it dangerously slow, the 1.2 Corsa C was rapid by comparison, and any other car I've owned was not dangerous despite most having the same or less power, i had a 1.4 Twinport Corsa C and it was very quick compared to even a 1.4 Corsa D, the E now has ironed that out and it's back to how it was, don't know how or why but it has, even though it's almost exactly the same car, same weight, same engine, massively better to drive, even the new E 1.2 is totally transformed from a D 1.2, despite only being 70bhp whereas the D was more powerful at 80bhp, torque etc are all still the same.

So yeah if you come from a 26bhp classic Landy you probably wouldn't mind and it wouldn't feel dangerous, drive any car from within the last 20years with even 60bhp and it does feel it, it's like driving a voted Honda, no torque to pull out to overtake, pull out of junctions etc. I'd even go so far as to say a Corsa B 1.2 8v with 45bhp is quicker.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Actually Hendry, just to clarify the 26hp on the Land Rover was measured on a dyno at the rear wheels. The 1957 diesel engine produces 62hp at the flywheel but the losses in the archaic Land Rover 4WD transmission amount to about 45% plus the huge 33" diameter tyres sap a load more hp thus just 26hp at wheels! The Land Rover also weighs 1.8 ton.

In comparison the Corsa E has a new design of gearbox that is not only very light in weight but has minimal transmission loss, less than 20% so more of the engines power gets to the wheels.

However 12hp per ton is more than sufficient to provide acceptable performance hence the reason my wife's Land Rover is perfectly usable and actually quite nippy. Anything more than 12hp per ton at the wheels is a luxury. Sadly too many modern drivers are spoilt and are simply unable to drive a car without it having 60+hp/ton at the wheels as it requires high levels of skill and judgement. Those skills are largely absent on UK roads judging by the dire standards of driving I see daily! ;-) BMW drivers manage to drive dangerously even with bags of power in reserve....

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
BTW I don't mean that to sound like an insult. It is just fact. If I'd have grown up with a 1.4T Corsa then I too would be equally spoilt by its performance and would also find it nigh on impossible to drive a car with less power! :)

As it happens I did grow up driving powerful cars, amongst other things, a Toyota Supra 3.0 Twin Turbo so was aware of what a powerful car was like to drive but equally I did 10K miles a year in a diesel Series Land Rover to bring me down to earth :)

My daughters will all learn to drive in a diesel Series Land Rover and in all likelyhood it will be their first car so they too will learn how to judge distances accurately, judge gear changes, have awareness of hills and other vehicles speeds etc. I personally believe all newly qualified drivers should be made to drive such a vehicle for the first two years in order for them to learn these skills before moving to more powerful cars.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mud4fun said:
BTW I don't mean that to sound like an insult. It is just fact. If I'd have grown up with a 1.4T Corsa then I too would be equally spoilt by its performance and would also find it nigh on impossible to drive a car with less power! :)
This is exactly the way I feel about my Ibiza. Up until Vx introduced their new small turbo engines, there was nothing out there that I felt was better than the Ibiza for me. I don't like the Fiesta's inside, or prices, come to that! I have always been quite content with the Ibiza until this year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.