Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm 100% going to be a new Corsa E owner but...

I had an Red LE corsa D and then had a VXR which i was on CDUK with and now have a Leon cupra R which is now going to make way for my new company car which will be the corsa,

I am an approved driving instructor and have been given choices in cars,

A petrol 1.4i limited edition
Or the 1.3 Excite

Limited edition obviously has the looks and everything but its a petrol...fuel economy has to be good but also wary for my students learning in a petrol rather than a diesel,

Or the 1.3 Excite its a diesel in my opinion better for the student and fuel economy will be better? But the looks are very basic?

Are there options for body kits or something either through Vauxhall or aftermarket else where? To make it look like a limited edition?

I did want the SRI VX line but its sadly out of budget.

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
personally i would go for the LE mainly for the looks, also the cost of making it look like a LE would be quite expensive and would need to be declared to the insurance.
also do the people learning to drive really look at what type of engine is in the car. i have the 1.4 non turbo LE and get around 35-40 mph around town

oh and welcome to the forums :D

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I couldn't care less about how a driving instructors car looked. Though saying that, I would probably be put off if it had a body kit etc.

I'd go for the diesel. The amount of mileage you likely do as an instructor will pay for itself in a diesel and due to the lower average speed and journey lengths, the petrol will give poorer MPG.

If you want to spruce up the Excite, get black alloys on it. I've got them on mine and it completely changes the look. If I were an instructor though, I wouldn't care about looks at all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello and welcome Matt ;)
You'll find both petrol and diesel instructor cars. About 10 to 15 years ago, locally most were diesels, but since then there has been a move towards petrol ones.
Ok diesel gets you more mpg and probably is more student friendly due to lower end torque so its less prone to stalling than a petrol.
The problem with these modern diesels is with all their emissions controls - might prove to be a nightmare to maintain. Short distances with frequent stops, low speeds etc will earn you all sorts of problems with a diesel IMHO.
The1.4i engine is fairly economic, nowhere near a diesel, but I'm getting 38+mpg on 100% city driiving with lots of traffic and ac on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies,

Being a newly qualified ADI i do want a top notch looking corsa so I was swaying towards the excite and adding a spoiler and the 17s as maybe an optional extra?

With the diesel I was thinking it has better MPG however I did also think it may need longer in the garage for maintenance, which isn't at cost to me tho is covered by my boss

With the MPG in a year I'm going to covering around 35k so the fuel savings would need to play a part and also due to the torque In a diesel would be a lot more student friendly as in stalling and for clutch for manaovres etc

In an ideal world I'm looking for a limited edition with a diesel engine but vauxhall don't do it :(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
MattG90 said:
Thanks for all the replies,

Being a newly qualified ADI i do want a top notch looking corsa so I was swaying towards the excite and adding a spoiler and the 17s as maybe an optional extra?

With the diesel I was thinking it has better MPG however I did also think it may need longer in the garage for maintenance, which isn't at cost to me tho is covered by my boss

With the MPG in a year I'm going to covering around 35k so the fuel savings would need to play a part and also due to the torque In a diesel would be a lot more student friendly as in stalling and for clutch for manaovres etc

In an ideal world I'm looking for a limited edition with a diesel engine but vauxhall don't do it :(
My dad has an Excite as his own Car for Driving Tuition, thought that is a 1.4i petrol, not sure what mpg he gets as I haven't sought to find it out.

Worth noting that the 17s (at least on an LE/petrol engine) bump the tax margin up. I think it's £130 for the 1.4T, so I suspect similar for the 1.4i.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Jarviser said:
Note also an Excite will be model Year 2015 from stock. No longer made. Replaced by Energy.
Well if you're pedantic, you could argue that it is technically still made just with a different name and an added feature.. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys

What iv decided is to go ahead with the limited edition, in Red :)

Mainly because the driving school I'm with had a black red white theme so I chose the Red.

Also we come up with a decision that if I'm really not getting along with the car then I can swap it for diesel corsa D limited which is a fair comprise imho

Soon as I get my car graphiced up I'll upload pics :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first new car
Had different makes of Vauxhall before but this is my first Corsa Excite 1.4 Eco Flex.
Hope i have made a good choice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap news!! Now turns out that the finance company wont allow the 0% because of the use of the car, being used for driving tuition :(

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Surely it doesn't matter to them how you use the car? It's your insurer that cares?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This is their T&C on the web page. I would have thought it covered you, there must be more rigid rules somewhere else.
"*Flexible Finance terms and conditions
Available on selected models only, at participating Retailers. Conditional Sale. Finance subject to status. Ts and Cs apply. Applicants must be 18 or over. Finance supplied by Vauxhall Finance, PO Box 6666, Cardiff, CF15 7YT. Offer will apply to private individuals, Vauxhall Partners and small businesses 1-24 units (purchase only, excluding B2B supported units).All other customers are excluded. Customer deposit shown after deduction of Retailer contribution. Contact your local Retailer for details.
Offers available on orders or registrations between 2 July and 7 October 2015."

Don't suppose you are with RED? They had a deal with Vx, maybe part of the agreement was to exclude any non-RED car. There's some hidden business reason

·
Registered
961 Posts
Is there not a way you can buy it privately or without disclosing the use of the car and then once the finance is all set up at that point change it to a driving school car, inform them what its used for or just don't at all, after all, once the finance is in place they can't cancel it because you decide to use the car for reward in much the same sense as a car used as taxi/minicab or delivery vehicle.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That is fraud Hendry, gaining credit through deception is a serious criminal offense. You risk never being able to get finance again!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Why would financers care how the car is used? I can understand for PCP, but for flexible finance, I don't see why they need to know - I never had to declare it when I got mine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
That is fraud Hendry, gaining credit through deception is a serious criminal offense. You risk never being able to get finance again!
I don't understand why, what difference does it make to them what you use the car for, its not like its your insurer who you are telling that it's a private car when it isn't, I can honestly say I've never been asked what Im using the car for and then refused finance based on my answer. To me its none of their business, its your car (I realise they still hold legal ownership title until you settle in full) and so long as you can afford to pay for it what difference does it make, also technically speaking whos to say you didn't buy the car first and then become a driving instructor and use the car for that, I doubt you'd get done for fraud for buying a car and not disclosing what you plan to use it for, its a bit petty especially when you never normally get asked that question when you buy a car on credit.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I've no idea why either other than the fact the car will de-value quicker due to higher mileage and more abuse so the residual will be alot lower than average maybe?

If they had to recover car due to non payments it would be worth less than a private car?

It will be something like that. Also I suspect if you did buy a car and then became a driving instructor you would be in breach of contract as you signed the finance contract based on not being used for driving tuition.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
hendry said:
...To me its none of their business, its your car (I realise they still hold legal ownership title until you settle in full) and so long as you can afford to pay for it what difference does it make, ......
Thats the whole point, it is not your car til the last payment, and if you cant pay the last payment they can send round the bailiff to reclaim their property, so they want one thats more likely to be worth the max.

Having said that, surely a school car will be the best maintained and most carefully treated of all?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Jarviser said:
surely a school car will be the best maintained and most carefully treated of all?
Not so sure. The clutch will get some serious abuse in a driving instructor car and they cost a fortune to replace. On a typical 3 year, 45K mile agreement most people won't burn out a clutch however I suspect a driving instructor car goes through clutches, starter motors, brake pads/disks and tyres at a higher rate than most private motorists? If the finance company had to repo the car the risk of it needing alot of work would be greater - if the car had to be repo'd it meant the owner had no money to pay the loan which suggests they'd also have no money to maintain it either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts