Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been endlessly researching the Corsa E for the last few weeks, since I saw the ad on the tv. My current car is a SEAT Ibiza Sport 1.2 tsi (105ps). I have had this car about 3.5 years, and before that I had a Corsa D 1.2. I have fallen in love with the new Corsa, especially as there is now a 1.0l turbo engine! My Ibiza is so much faster than my D ever was and I love it, but certain things with the new Corsa really appeal to me - the heated windscreen, seats and steering wheel would make life much more comfortable for me! At the moment, most people on here seem to have the 1.4 turbo, but the only one for me would be the 1.0l 115ps! When I got my Ibiza, most people were going for the 1.4 which was a lot slower than the little 1.2 tsi, I guess, because word had not got around about just how good these little turbo engines are and people were still thinking about engine size over the ps figure! I can get 3 years road tax for less than one year's tax on my old Corsa!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Welcome!

What engine best suits a person depends on what they want out of their car and how they drive. I've got a 1.4T on order. :)

While the 1.0T gets rave reviews from the media they are generally from people who have not driven them over long periods. I spoke to a few trusted people who have driven both over longer periods and doing similar journeys to me and the 1.4T gave far better real world economy and more relaxed motorway cruising.

It isn't all about what bhp the engine has on paper, it is how much torque it produces and where in the rev range it delivers it. For those wanting a sporty feel to their driving then the 1.0T is probably a perfect choice however I don't like to thrash my engines and prefer the more relaxed cruising of the larger capacity unit. I have to do a 250 mile motorway commute once a week so good cruising ability and real world economy are more important to me at the moment than sportiness. Mind you, I'm tempted with a Regal upgrade in the future as they do some nice mods for the 1.4T (200hp) ;-)

Bare in mind the 1.4T is a restricted version of the same engine that is available in other VX models with 120-150hp. One of the reasons I opted for it was its future tuning potential. The 1.0T is designed primarily to give good results in the current emissions test which VX have to do to comply with EU targets. While on paper it has higher power output and better emissions than the 1.4T, in reality the larger engine will often perform better. I managed to get 43mpg out of a 2.5TDi 2 ton 4x4 pickup truck, beating its official extra urban 35mpg by some margin!

We are all different though and there is a great range of engines available with the Corsa to satisfy most needs :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
BTW LeachiE, what model where you looking at?

I went for the 3dr LE as it has decent basic equipment and looks great. IMHO it is the best looking supermini, I was never keen on the shape of the Fiesta or even the new Fabia and the Polo is plain boring so I never even considered it. Be warned though, the 1.0T is approx £800 more than the 1.4T and the heated steering wheel and seats add another chunk of money. It can get quite expensive if you start ticking the options list! :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi liverpaul, you lucky sod being that close to regal. :)

That level of performance doesn't come cheap as you need to balance everything up with better brakes, exhausts, air intakes, turbo, more robust clutch and new suspension etc but everything I've read suggests immediate gains of 20-30hp can be had for minimal expense and 160-170hp is perfectly feasible from the 1.4T for about £2500 (including fitting). if you are willing to spend upto £3500 you'd be getting close to VXR performance and handling. I guess the argument is why spend all that money on an LE when you can buy the VXR from May 2015 with 200hp off the shelf, however that misses the point. The LE is far cheaper to buy initially and you can gradualy add performance over time as you can afford it or once the warranty runs out. Also for me I quite like the thought of having a 'sleeper' of a LE - normally looked down upon by the VXR lads as impotent 'sheep in wolf clothing'. Would raise a smile knowing you had the performance to match the looks. I've done the same with my Land Rovers for years - leave the exterior looking stock but spend lots of time and money on the mechanicals to give excellent performance or economy. :)

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Not that I'll be doing anything with mine for a while, will run it stock for a year. It'll take a good few thousand miles to loosen up anyway.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having gone through the various options on the configurator, I am drawn to the Excite a/c trim as it has heated seats and steering wheel as standard. I am used to the acceleration of my 1.2tsi 105ps and I have driven on motorways 3 times (I live on the Isle of Wight so don't regularly drive on motorways anyway). I never felt safe enough in my old Corsa to take her on a motorway, it just felt too sluggish! I guess I would need to test drive the 1.0t and 1.4t to decide.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi LeachiE, if you are only doing short trips on local roads and not doing much motorway then sounds like the 1.0T would better suit you. :)

Definitely try both if you can though.

One thing I don't understand is the attraction of heated steering wheels???? I live on the North East coast and leave for work at 4am, in winter it is often -10c (we've had -20c) and I've been driving a Series Land Rover with barely adequate heating, ice on the inside of the screen, 1/2" gaps between door seals and jammed open vent flaps. A heated wheel did not even enter my top 10 list of desired upgrades and I don't even wear any gloves. Is it much colder down south? Or maybe Northerners are just hardier?? ;-) ;-) Seriously I just can't imagine why a heated wheel would sway your decision on what car to buy? I guess I'm missing something as VX clearly believe there is a market for them. I'm regretting not trying one now :-(

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi mud4fun. When I got my 1st Corsa SE it also had heated steering wheel & front seats ?? Just happened be the only 5 door Auto available at the time. So after 2 years driving & heated winter confort find it hard to go back to wearing gloves etc & wife now insists on heated front seats ? ? Manufacturers are clever into getting you used to a product ? But got to also agree with your comments. I initially never asked for these but once had is hard to give up if the price is right. Getting a bit old in the tooth now he he.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Derek, thanks for that. I have just been reading up on them and it seems as you say, that once you've been used to them they become a 'necessary' item. Not having ever tried one I don't know what I'm missing :)

I've experienced heated seats before as I had them in a couple of big Ford company cars, can't say I miss the feeling of having wet myself though :)

Ian

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Derek, my wife has just commented that heated seats and wheel don't even register on her list of desires for her Land Rover - at the top of her list is a step ladder! (I fitted lifted suspension and 33" tyres so the sill is now 24" off the ground), then she would like some door seals fitted which are still in the workshop where they've sat for 3 years so currently when driving in the rain she gets soaked and finally she'd like a headlining to stop the condensation dripping on her. Tell your wife she has it easy :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wasn't that seat in white and you posted on corsa d.Co.uk? I remember reading simlier on the site from somebody on the island aswell

On corsa d site mud dog they said it's the same engine as the black edition so £350 and I go to 260 bh, With just a map.

I would put the 2500 on the car aswell due to the vxr over price, high emissions and tax.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi liverpaul, I'm guessing you meant 160hp from just the remap?? 260 would require serious engine work! :)

I'd reckon on it still needing new panel filter and new exhaust to fully release the 160hp, can't quite believe they could achieve it on map alone. I would also be tempted to upgrade the brakes and clutch to make full use of the released power.

BTW that £2500-3500 I quoted was including fitting by Regal (from their price list), if you fitted it all yourself as I would then you can knock 40%'ish off that. :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, Liverpaul, that was me! My name on CDUK is Silver D. Surprised you remembered me - it's been almost 4 years! The reason why I am so attracted to the heated steering wheel, is that I have Raynaud's that affects my fingers. At the moment I wear gloves AND have a fluffy steering wheel cover and drive to work with the heater aimed at my fingers just so I can feel my fingers when I get to work! So, yup, a heated steering wheel would be awesome! This is also why the heated windscreen is a good idea as de-icing the windscreen doesn't help! Even rain on the door handles sets them off. Actually I think I would be better off with a chauffeur, lol!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LeachiE, totally with you on the heated screen, I hate scraping screens in the morning. I'm looking forward to using it next winter. I'm even fitting heated screens to my old land rovers. Regards, Ian.

·
Registered
501 Posts
it rung a bell leachiE when you mentioned the island and then I read the car details, still like to know what happened to wayne vxr car. I had my 1.4 design at the time and remembering and wishing for that seat haha. there is a winter pack available to the corsa E they had a limited edition fully kitted out with add on's, too much for me.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
liverpaul said:
it rung a bell leachiE when you mentioned the island and then I read the car details, still like to know what happened to wayne vxr car. I had my 1.4 design at the time and remembering and wishing for that seat haha. there is a winter pack available to the corsa E they had a limited edition fully kitted out with add on's, too much for me.
I haven't been active on the other forum for a long while, so don't know what happened to Wayne's car. Searching through all the specs I think the Excite a/c would be perfect for me as it has heated steering wheel and seats as standard. Only thing it doesn't have that I would miss is the trip computer with mpg figures. I ran the LE through the configurator and it worked out a lot more money than the Excite after adding on the sight & light pack and winter pack that are both standard on the Excite. Managed to get the Ibiza's mpg up to a little over 60mpg on one journey a couple of summers ago, but I think I could easily live without that reading in exchange for warm hands and bum, lol!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi mud4fun, having had my new car now for 2 days I can honestly say its the best one I have ever had. Really quiet & nimble to drive and really comfortable too. So really pleased I accepted it over 4 weeks early now & yes it is a also 64 Plate??

Derek

·
Registered
501 Posts
@ LeachiE, he owns a car wash near by but I haven't seen much of that road lately would be interesting to see how he is.

I have one little niggle my corsa so far after 2 weeks. we live near a motorway so the road leading up to it is a 50 mph duel carriageway, with a round-a-bout leading onto the motorway. I found if im approaching these from speed and continue rolling the car is non responsive? 1st gear is very non responsive and when at lights you can really rev the engine. my theory is due to the eco side they restricted it but it effects you on pull outs. But I have found 3rd gear from 2000rpm is when he turbo kicks in :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.