Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance, never really renewed so I don't know.. Do Vauxhall provide temporary insurance, I remember them making us go on a site and apply for something when we bought an Astra. However I don't know how long you're allowed before you can get your "1 years no claims discount certificate" as its 18 days before expiry on the 23rd September, I'm unsure how long before they give for this and I think the new insurance gives you 20-30 days to prove you have no claims from previous?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
You usually get drive off insurance for the day out buy it, and sometimes it's extended to 7 days.

Your no claims can only be transferred to a new policy when the other policy ends, as that is the usual process.

Most insurers will give you 30 days to prove it, but in this case, you technically won't have earned it as you won't have had a policy for a whole year. Ring your insurer and see what they will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LimeyUK said:
You usually get drive off insurance for the day out buy it, and sometimes it's extended to 7 days.

Your no claims can only be transferred to a new policy when the other policy ends, as that is the usual process.

Most insurers will give you 30 days to prove it, but in this case, you technically won't have earned it as you won't have had a policy for a whole year. Ring your insurer and see what they will do.
As my current insurance expires on the 12th of October or something I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get the certificate seen as I don't plan using them (they don't even come up on a quote list for the LE and I don't wish to stay due to their pricing).

I was going to hand my current car in via part-ex and then buy new insurance once Vauxhalls temp insurance ran out then get 30-days for the certificate to then wait for my old insurance to expire and provide evidence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
LimeyUK said:
You usually get drive off insurance for the day out buy it, and sometimes it's extended to 7 days.

Your no claims can only be transferred to a new policy when the other policy ends, as that is the usual process.

Most insurers will give you 30 days to prove it, but in this case, you technically won't have earned it as you won't have had a policy for a whole year. Ring your insurer and see what they will do.
As my current insurance expires on the 12th of October or something I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get the certificate seen as I don't plan using them (they don't even come up on a quote list for the LE and I don't wish to stay due to their pricing).

I was going to hand my current car in via part-ex and then buy new insurance once Vauxhalls temp insurance ran out then get 30-days for the certificate to then wait for my old insurance to expire and provide evidence.
Just ring your insurer and see how much it will cost to change the car on your policy. Some allow you to just change and not make a new policy - then you'll be able to change insurer when your current policy expires.

Just make sure that they don't put you into a new policy, some insurers are sneaky like that.

it is illegal to hold multiple insurance policies for one driver in the same vehicle, so I doubt you'd be able to get temporary insurance whilst the other one continues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
I'm 100% behind Limey. The only control you have is whether to renew and they will knock off quite a lot to keep you. I hope to heck your current policy is fully comp (Martin Shaw showed that Comp is usually cheaper than third party for first time drivers so I hope you went that way last year)
Yes tell them
1) you want to replace the current car with the new one for the remainder only,
2) as this car is about the same size and brand new you dont expect to pay any more (its worth a punt!) and
3) you will decide whether to stay next month at renewal.
You need to sound confident but please no porkies and dont try to fill the gap with freebies. Meantime get another quote online to use as a weapon, even if you use a comparison site.
(47 years experience of the sheisters)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing it's, seen as they put a box in my car it would cost at least £75 to put a one on another car, I refused to get the car earlier (they wanted me to have a MY15 within a week) because the boxes are surgically entered inside the car and they cost to remove, which was my plan of getting rid of my golf so I didn't have to pay for the box to be removed.

If it was normal insurance that'd be great but I don't want a box surgically inserted in my new car or to pay the ridiculous amount of money I already have to them.

Hence then not renewing the policy but letting vauxhall have the part ex car and leave the insurance put then taking out another seperate new policy (which is cheaper than my current insurance anyway) on the new car, so I can just start a fresh without a box and then forward no claims proof and sorted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
Matthew said:
The thing it's, seen as they put a box in my car it would cost at least £75 to put a one on another car, I refused to get the car earlier (they wanted me to have a MY15 within a week) because the boxes are surgically entered inside the car and they cost to remove, which was my plan of getting rid of my golf so I didn't have to pay for the box to be removed.

If it was normal insurance that'd be great but I don't want a box surgically inserted in my new car or to pay the ridiculous amount of money I already have to them.

Hence then not renewing the policy but letting vauxhall have the part ex car and leave the insurance put then taking out another seperate new policy (which is cheaper than my current insurance anyway) on the new car, so I can just start a fresh without a box and then forward no claims proof and sorted
I did manage to confuse myself earlier it seems - of course you're not going to be insuring the same car twice - derp! :lol:

The box is usually just a scam anyway - you won't need one in the corsa to get your insurance down.

Never renew insurance imo - it is usually always cheaper to compare and swap. Over the last two years I've saved around £200 each time, both times the company i was with said they couldn't match the new quote!

Just do what Jarviser said - easy steps to take too. They should allow you to swap a car over, regardless of the blackbox, but only they could tell you that. Just make sure they know you don't want to do a new policy with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LimeyUK said:
Matthew said:
The thing it's, seen as they put a box in my car it would cost at least £75 to put a one on another car, I refused to get the car earlier (they wanted me to have a MY15 within a week) because the boxes are surgically entered inside the car and they cost to remove, which was my plan of getting rid of my golf so I didn't have to pay for the box to be removed.

If it was normal insurance that'd be great but I don't want a box surgically inserted in my new car or to pay the ridiculous amount of money I already have to them.

Hence then not renewing the policy but letting vauxhall have the part ex car and leave the insurance put then taking out another seperate new policy (which is cheaper than my current insurance anyway) on the new car, so I can just start a fresh without a box and then forward no claims proof and sorted
I did manage to confuse myself earlier it seems - of course you're not going to be insuring the same car twice - derp! :lol:

The box is usually just a scam anyway - you won't need one in the corsa to get your insurance down.

Never renew insurance imo - it is usually always cheaper to compare and swap. Over the last two years I've saved around £200 each time, both times the company i was with said they couldn't match the new quote!

Just do what Jarviser said - easy steps to take too. They should allow you to swap a car over, regardless of the blackbox, but only they could tell you that. Just make sure they know you don't want to do a new policy with them.
They gave me a long list of terms and conditions such as you need a box in any car you're covering and if I swapped cars they'd make me add one in there even if it expired 2 weeks later, which I don't want for obvious reasons and I wondered if it was possible just to leave it in my current car, ring them and say I'm ending the insurance on the end date, while purchasing another policy for the Corsa in the meantime and letting the first policy expire, which them give me no claims for then I just have to forward the no claims to the new insurer.

I don't see the justification of staying with them for the sake of 2 weeks when it must be easier/possible just to take out a brand new policy for my new car and leave my old one alone without even dealing with that same insurer again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Ok cancel and start again but forget the 1yr no claims til next year. They will ask if you have made any claims and had any convictions in the last x years and if the answer is no it will help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jarviser said:
Ok cancel and start again but forget the 1yr no claims til next year. They will ask if you have made any claims and had any convictions in the last x years and if the answer is no it will help
I don't mean cancel, I meant let it expire/run out and the whole reason I'm waiting longer is for it to let me swap to another insurer but seen as its not the same car I can surely take one out whenever.
I didn't pay £3,000 worth of insurance/costs to lose 1 years no claims which I rightful have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
youd be fine to let it lapse and get insurance out on the corsa - just make sure the new insurer allows 30 days for you to prove no claims, some only allow 7.

They might not accept it either, as the 1 year no claims date would be after your new policy starts, meaning you wouldn't have had 1 year no claims when the policy started - leaving them open to void your insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Can't you just wait for your renewal to come through and then take insurance out elsewhere? Even if you get the car before then they can change the car on the current policy, then you can just change companies at renewal time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LeachiE said:
Can't you just wait for your renewal to come through and then take insurance out elsewhere? Even if you get the car before then they can change the car on the current policy, then you can just change companies at renewal time.
I get my renewal on the 23rd I think? It says on the app 18 days before expiry that you'll get a renewal for it, I get the point made above about it being before the date however if it's within the renewal period I'm not sure that they'd void it if it's on a separate car.
As above, I can't change the car without paying £75 then have them come and install a box on my car, for the sake of just over 2 weeks I refuse to let them do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Jarviser said:
Ok cancel and start again but forget the 1yr no claims til next year. They will ask if you have made any claims and had any convictions in the last x years and if the answer is no it will help
- the black box and the dates means this your only choice. You may see it as unjust but it is a fact. Your new car delivery date is invonvenient - suck it up and learn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jarviser said:
Jarviser said:
Ok cancel and start again but forget the 1yr no claims til next year. They will ask if you have made any claims and had any convictions in the last x years and if the answer is no it will help
- the black box and the dates means this your only choice. You may see it as unjust but it is a fact. Your new car delivery date is invonvenient - suck it up and learn.
It isn't as I've been advised by people who've purchased car insurance for 40 years of their life and they've not stated what you have. If you have a problem with my methods / queries then don't comment on them. I don't appreciate the way you get your point across and find it quite rude seen as no doubt you're a lot older than me and I've never seen someone act so unmannerly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
You could also delay picking the car up - that could possibly be your best option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
How insurance usually works is if you change your car part way through the year they will make a charge to change the policy details. Sometimes there is mroe to pay if the new car is in a higher insurance group, or you may just pay admin charges to change the details. However, I have not had experience of black boxes - my son didn't have one and paid out £1800 for his first year's insurance on a 52 plate 5dr Saxo 4 years ago. We were told that 5drs were cheaper as boy racers tend not to have them and therefore they are not in crashes so often to make them a higher risk car. My insurance is due for renewal on 13th September and my new car won't be here until the end of Oct, so I will probably have a bit more to pay when I change cars as my current car is a 1.2tsi and the new one will be a 1.4T.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top