Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided for the first time today to listen to music from my phone via USB in the car, so duly plugged in the USb into the car and the other end into my phone (Sony Xperia M2) and it wouldn't work just keeping coming up "playback source not available" but then it will sometimes play the songs but not the same one my phone is showing to be playing, I.E. if a particular song is playing on the car through USB I can then go onto my phone, pick a different song and press play on my phone and it will begin playing out of the phone itself whilst the other song is still playing through the car speakers and I can only skip tracks using the Intellilink or steering wheel controls, skipping track on the phone itself doesn't change what's playing in the car, there was no issue when we had my Mrs iphone 6 connected via USB to the car, it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
hendry said:
Decided for the first time today to listen to music from my phone via USB in the car, so duly plugged in the USb into the car and the other end into my phone (Sony Xperia M2) and it wouldn't work just keeping coming up "playback source not available" but then it will sometimes play the songs but not the same one my phone is showing to be playing, I.E. if a particular song is playing on the car through USB I can then go onto my phone, pick a different song and press play on my phone and it will begin playing out of the phone itself whilst the other song is still playing through the car speakers and I can only skip tracks using the Intellilink or steering wheel controls, skipping track on the phone itself doesn't change what's playing in the car, there was no issue when we had my Mrs iphone 6 connected via USB to the car, it worked perfectly.
I found that my Android played music via Bluetooth better than via USB.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update, I called Vauxhall customer care Infotainment line who said my phone model hadn't been tested with the Intellilink but said it could be its not compatible.

Here's what's happening:

Plug USB socket into car and other end into phone, start car and a pop up says "playback source not available" however it then changes from the DAB source (screen showing DAB station etc changes to USB screen) which where the radio station or song title is briefly shows "Update" but as if that's the name of the song and then comes up with song information and starts playing the song, it shows all album info the song is off etc BUT no artwork even for songs I have the album artwork for on my phone, I can skip track using both the Intellilink and the steering wheel controls but NOT my phone because it just changes to a different song on my phone but not on the Intellilink, also theres a drop down screen on my phone which tells me if I have any texts, emails, voice mails and so on, it is also saying when connected to the car that it is connected to a PC? :S

·
Registered
223 Posts
It does say in the advertising of the intellilink that it is compatible with Ios and Android devices.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried my mums Sony Xperia M2 Aqua and although she doesn't have any music it will show the photos on her phone etc no problem.

On mine is shows the source on Intellilink as "USB > Music" as the source but it won't show artwork for any song I have artwork for. Won't let me change the songs on my phone to make the ones via USB change, and on my phone when connected to the car via USB its wanting me to install software to allow my "PC" to work particular things off my phone :evil:

Somebody who has half a clue please help me before I torch the heap of junk!!!!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LOL, now you know how I feel. ;)

When playing music via USB ny windows phone works fine. I change tracks using intellilink not the phone. My phone notifications area continues to work fine too. I have not tried controlling music play from the phone, why would you if playing from intellilink? Album art doesn't work for me either.

However even though intellilink plays music OK, it takes ages to recognise the albums, tracks and artists from the 80 or so CD's I've copied to my phone. I can often drive 3 miles down the road before it has fully refreshed the music list!!

It is also dangerous to use when driving as you have to go through so many levels to puck a different track or album etc. Far too fiddly to use while driving. It was easier and safer for me to swap a physical CD over in my last car than it is to change album on intellink. At least I could keep my eyes on the road. I have looked at many new cars and the intellilink is positioned far too low in the dash to be safe. Most other cars have screens mounted higher up.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Hendry, sorry to read you are getting Non Compatibility problems with your Phone & Interlink. I am also having similar issues with my iPhone 5s not being compatible - Gallery & Artwork not recognisable but all other functions seem to work ok ? so just having to accept or change me phone.

Had same confirmation of Non Compatibility from VX Interlink Support as you had.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The artwork will only show for me with the mp3's/albums I brought online, meaning the artwork needs to be part of the file. I don't really care if it shows the artwork or not, it's like I am looking at the screen while I am driving ;)

Your phone is not compatible it's only ios and android that is supported. Put your music on a USB stick, much better.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't care about artwork either however it is not correct to say windows phone is not supported. My Nokia is actually on the list of supported devices!!!! I love Vauxhalls interpretation of 'compatible' ;-)

The reason that you don't hear windows phone mentioned on the specs or reviews is that the media only ever talk about iphone or androids and totally forget other platforms. My windows phone is actually far more compatible than my daughters android which works but is even slower to respond and doesn't display photos or videos whereas mine does :)

Regardless of whether my phone plays music or not is irrelevant to me, the intellilink is just cr*p. Useless apps, limited apps, poor quality screen, no brightness control, no mirrorlink support, poor sound quality, poorly designed interface, slow response, badly designed phone integration, naff phone book synchronisation, random lock ups and screen burn. Whole unit is not fit for purpose and I have made both Vauxhall and my dealer well aware of it. :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I went to Carphone Warehouse where I got my phone and spoke to their "Geek Squad" folk who said basically if album artwork doesn't work that's just tough luck, i enquired as to why when connected via USB to the car the phone thinks its connected to a PC and why is it trying to pair with the PC and trying to sync so that I can perform software updates on my phone on the PC etc but its a bloody car, he said something about it only having 2 options, PC or something else and that it was perfectly acceptable for it to think it was connected to a PC.

His suggestion was go into settings, then wireless and networks, then Xperia connectivity then USB connectivity then USB connection mode and change connection mode from "media transfer mode (MTP)" to "mass storage mode (MSC)" and that should fix the issue, only it hasn't.

So what happens is I plug in phone, you get the little circle of dots icon as if something is loading then a pop up box comes up saying "info - playback not supported" but then the source changes to USB > music anyway and briefly thr word Update appears where the song name usually does, and then music starts playing and the word Update is replaced by whatever the song name is that's playing.

When I changed it to mass storage mode the pop up '"info - playback not supported" pops up but then nothing happens. It doesn't play.

What's weird is on the mode where despite saying playback not supported it still plays the music, if I go into gallery it will also let me scroll through the photos that are on my phone so I presume my phone must be compatible or this wouldn't work.

I've also now noticed the odd song has album artwork, now most of my songs didn't start off with album artwork, that is they have originally come from CDs loaded onto my computer, copied and saved onto the computer, put onto iTunes so my missus could put them on her phone and despite my phone not being apple we managed to put them onto my phone from iTunes in much the same way you used to copy music from the computer into blank CDs with windows media player back in the day. So theres a function on Sony phones where you can click download music info which will download album art and song info for all the music it can get info for.

Finally I dug out my old 4th gen iPod and plugged it into the USB socket in the car, and it worked 100% perfectly, it didn't even need to load,it immediately came up USB music > iPod and when I changed the track on the iPod itself it changed in the car too, why can't my phone just do that? It's like my phone doesn't realise its playing on the car through USB and will still let you play music from the phone out its own speaker at the same time and when you change track on the phone it won't change track in the car, now I could understand if it was totally incompatible and didn't work at all, however its driving me mad that it works but not the way it should, so I rerfuse to accept my phone is incompatible but there must be a way of making it work properly

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just done a bit of googling on this and it seems this is a huge problem where it doesn't work in most cars and is designed primarily for Apple products.

It seems the guy at Carping Warehouse is right in suggesting MSC mode instead of MTP mode as that's what most I've came across have said, only trouble is my phone only allows SD card data when in MSC mode and I don't have an SD in it so I may need to buy one and move all my music on to SD and see if that works, only trouble with that is all my music is on the Music/Walkman program built into the phone which I doubt can be put on SD.

Still really annoyed and baffled as to how If it's not compatible it works but just not right, I'm also feeling a bit let down and ripped off as one of the main things I had to have when I bought this car was USB for plugging in my phone, and I was under the impression it would work and it doesn't work/pointless having it, it's also rubbish how it's all designed to work in apple stuff and works brilliantly, how hard would it have been to do the same for Android stuff.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
how hard would it have been to do the same for Android stuff.
Bloody difficult actually. IOS is a strictly controlled operating system and all apps have to adhere to a very strict framework and every app has to be approved by an IOS team so they are more likely to work and work consistently.

Microsoft is similar with its windows phone and operating systems.

Android is a free for all, anybody can write apps, there is little in the way of security, poor consistency of apps and no guarantee that what works on one device will work on another. So you have a far higher volume of apps and devices and they are cheaper. The flipside is you have poor consistency across apps, poor compatability and poor security.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It's ridiculously complicated to code for Android if you want/need to maximise compatibility across the OS versions and device specs. If they limited it to one version of the OS then it is a bit simpler, but then only 10% of androids would be compatible.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate apple stuff, IMO its overpriced, over rated, and has an unjustified premium over other things because its the in thing at the moment, its a bit like the Audi of phones, but I'm seriously considering getting one now, I honestly don't think I can live with a phone that won't work in my car USB the way it should, i hate broken things or things which don't work right or do what they are supposes to, and I'm sure as hell not buying a new car. Just wish id known this or tested this before I bought the car instead of taking for granted something as simple as this would work as I would have bought something different which didn't have this issue as this was 1 of the main things I didn't have on my old car that I had to have and now I've got it and I may as well not have as it doesn't work, bitch!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I know how you feel about wanting your phone to work with the HU. I do not like apple stuff either so I'm going to replace intellilink with a HU that is more compatible with my windows phone.

This is not Vauxhalls fault. GM are pushing intellilink in all their cars worldwide and GM refuse to listen to customers. For example there are thousands of complaints about brightness and the lack of a separate dimmer control. You'll find complaints about it on every forum worldwide from full size US pickup trucks to Adams, many dating back years and yet we still have no proper brightness control.

If they can't even get a brightness control changed after years of complaints then unlikely they'll be rushing to fix phone compatibility issues and even if they did, by the time they released it we would all be on the next generation of phone.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I won't be connecting my phone to the Intellilink when I get my Corsa. I will, however, put all my music onto a flash drive to play via the USB. I currently only have the Aux in jack in my Ibiza, which is ok, but I tend not to use it any more. I won't touch my phone at all when driving and have never had it charging or mounted anywhere. I would also never buy an iPhone - way too much money! My Samsung is due for upgrade soon and I shall be sticking with Android.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
LeachiE said:
I won't be connecting my phone to the Intellilink when I get my Corsa. I will, however, put all my music onto a flash drive to play via the USB. I currently only have the Aux in jack in my Ibiza, which is ok, but I tend not to use it any more. I won't touch my phone at all when driving and have never had it charging or mounted anywhere. I would also never buy an iPhone - way too much money! My Samsung is due for upgrade soon and I shall be sticking with Android.
LOL, Leachie you would definately need the USB charging if you were using a sat nav app over a long journey however I guess you don't really have much need for sat nav on IOW ;-) If I use sat nav app then it runs a fully charged battery flat in about 1.5hrs so for my typical 300-500 mile trips on holiday or to new customers etc I have to have the USB plugged in. On my previous car I had a USB/cigarette lighter adaptor but the Corsa USB port is much better and provides a higher charge rate too.

I play music off the phone as I don't see the point in carrying a separate stick for it. My phone has 32gb of storage space and once the music is on there I can listen to it anywhere not just in the car.

To be fair the actual playing of music off the phone via USB works fine and is far higher quality than using bluetooth. It is the intellilink interface that is naff. It seems OK when you test it in the showroom as you are stationary. You try changing tracks, artists etc at 70mph on a busy motorway and it is downright dangerous. An old fashioned HU with knobs and buttons is safer as you can feel the controls with your fingers while keeping your eyes on the road. I guess that also won't be a problem for you though as youy don't have any busy motorways? ;-)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The fact that there are no buttons will probably deter my hubby from changing the damn channel on the radio all the time! I have got a sat nav and have used it a few times on the mainland. I even tested it first on the Island. Only trouble is, we have a traffic light/gyratory system in the middle of Newport, and it doesn't appear on the sat nav junction view to show you what lane to get in. It's ok for us who have grown up driving on it daily, but to people who come over on holiday, it must be real nightmare! Nope, we have no motorways at all. Just a short stretch of dual carriageway that you can just about get to nsl on before you get to the 40mph limit near the end! Often you can't use the slip road in one direction as you can on a 'normal' dual carriageway, as there is always a queue of traffic up past the slip road at certain times of the day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Intelilink would be great if it had a few physical buttons above the screen :D

Also if it was a lot more customizable and the screen itself sat a few inches higher.. Would be perfect. Also more apps would be nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mud4fun said:
This is not Vauxhalls fault. GM are pushing intellilink in all their cars worldwide and GM refuse to listen to customers. For example there are thousands of complaints about brightness and the lack of a separate dimmer control. You'll find complaints about it on every forum worldwide from full size US pickup trucks to Adams, many dating back years and yet we still have no proper brightness control.
I was lucky enough to have a 5 day business test drive before ordering my corsa (due September!) and completely agree that the screen is too bright for daily driving. Was wondering if anybody has considered a privacy screen protector, that limits the angle of vision to about 60 degrees?

Most seem to be designed for ipad's, but I see no reason that they could not be trimmed...
http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/privacy-filter-ipad-easy-on-black-2.html?gclid=CMjcl9r_zsYCFWOy2wod284IaQ

I plan on getting one to try in September, but if anybody could test it first we might find the best type / size.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts