Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just one more nail in the coffin for intellish*te, just noticed that my intellilink screen is showing screen 'burn in'. Only done 5K miles but now has faint outlines of the static areas of the radio screen showing on the screen when the unit is powered off. Not sure how as last time I saw this was on old CRT monitors. How can an LCD screen suffer burn?? Is it just the touch membrane? Or is this poor quality LCD?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it seems odd. The burn in or image retention is so bad that after I had taken key out of ignition it looked like the radio was still on but just very dimmed. I even tried pressing the button for a few seconds thinking it was somehow still powered up. Just checked again and even a couple hours later screen still looks like it is on very faint. That is seriously bad burn in for a 2 month old car!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Derek.

Silly thing is that on any previous car I'd have swapped in an Alpine (or similar) head unit by now. However this time I've delayed because Microsoft haven't announced what they are doing with mirrorlink. I don't want to commit to a replacement head unit (as they are £800 each) until I know what MS are including in Windows 10.

So do I get VX to replace unit with the basic CD player or just put up with intellilink for a few months? I already had issues with its brightness which I have also complained to VX about so I now have several grounds to support my claim that it is not fit for purpose.

The extreme brightness might explain why it is suffering burn in! I leave home for work at 4am, in all previous cars I'd start car up and let it warm up before turning the lights on just as I pull out of the drive. Now because of intellilink brightness I have to turn my lights on as soon as I start the car in order to get intellink into night mode otherwise the brightness is blinding. Sadly this means I now wake up all the neighbours at 4am when our mostly dark rural village is lit up by my lights for 5 minutes while I warm up and demist windows etc.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've had this on LCD screens, its fairly common - especially when its left on the same screen a long time.

It could well be that its just not turned off correctly. The touch module could have powered down and brightness gone low - this happens with smartphones too.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is definitely turned off as I have physically taken the key out of the ignition :)

It is left on the same screen because I only use it for the radio and even on the same radio station too. Intellilink provides me with nothing other than radio. I use the sat nav on my phone not on the intellilink. My commute is normally 3-4 hours each way once a week. However this last week I did a much longer journey 3 days in a row and got stuck in a massive traffic jam so screen was on radio for 6 hours straight on my home Thursday and was on for 8+ hours a day for 3 days in a row . The burn in happened this week, it was not there before.

I can't be the only one that only ever has it on the radio though. Very poor design if you get burn in after just a hundred hours use.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
It is definitely turned off as I have physically taken the key out of the ignition :)

It is left on the same screen because I only use it for the radio and even on the same radio station too. Intellilink provides me with nothing other than radio. I use the sat nav on my phone not on the intellilink. My commute is normally 3-4 hours each way once a week. However this last week I did a much longer journey 3 days in a row and got stuck in a massive traffic jam so screen was on radio for 6 hours straight on my home Thursday and was on for 8+ hours a day for 3 days in a row . The burn in happened this week, it was not there before.
Definitely burn then. That sucks. I rarely change mine from radio as well.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even when I'm not listening to the radio I have to leave it on the radio screen but just turn the volume down because the power button doesn't actually turn it off, it takes you to an even more stupidly bright clock screen that is so dangerously bright, even in broad daylight that I avoid it!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
mud4fun said:
Even when I'm not listening to the radio I have to leave it on the radio screen but just turn the volume down because the power button doesn't actually turn it off, it takes you to an even more stupidly bright clock screen that is so dangerously bright, even in broad daylight that I avoid it!
just been to gatwick multi storage carpark and i had to turn on my lights to make the screen go black,stupid idea to have a bright sreen

·
Registered
179 Posts
LimeyUK said:
I've had this on LCD screens, its fairly common - especially when its left on the same screen a long time.
I can vouch for this, I have a Samsung galaxy s5 just a year old and the screen burn is terrible

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
craig5e said:
LimeyUK said:
I can vouch for this, I have a Samsung galaxy s5 just a year old and the screen burn is terrible
The S5 is AMOLED, not LCD :lol: But still, it is common.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I noticed on the 3000 mile SE hire ive got that after you take switch the engine off and take the key out, the "burn" is visible on the Intellilink screen (I can clearly see a shadow of the menu button for example) then after about 15-20 seconds there's a clicking from the dial area and the dial needles jerk on the spot and at the same time the intellilink screen goes totally black and nothings visible on it at all.

I'm thinking its maybe akin to the time/date/outside temp display screen on older Vauxhall, when you switched engine off and took key out the display would "go off" but switch the headlights on and the screen lit up, so the screen was never actually off, just blacked out, never got how it didn't drain the battery.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
um, I will try a test over the weekend, if I disconnect battery and still see the radio screen ghost then we'll know it is burn in rather than a very faint powered up screen? Do I need to take precautions when disconnecting battery in terms of system memory etc? I'm used to old trucks that have no electronics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LimeyUK said:
craig5e said:
LimeyUK said:
The S5 is AMOLED, not LCD :lol: But still, it is common.
My bad!

·
Registered
454 Posts
The clicking from the dials will be the cars computers shutting down. I had this on a cmax found it took a couple of mins after the engine was off for all sensors and computers to finish storing data and shut down. Only then would the odometer finally go out. Could be the same in the corsa.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Probably is Klemsy.

I've noticed my dials have a little flicker after I've taken a minute or two to get out of the car, not looked at the intelilink when that happens though.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No clicking from my dials. Anyway, I'm talking hours not minutes. I often go and sit in car at *** break time and screen burn still there yesterday with no key in ignition after being left off for 4 hours or more.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.