Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys, as you are all aware ive had loads of daft little issues with my car most of them trim or interior build quality related, have even had a full new dash shell.

Car was in on Friday for a new drivers seat trim as the existing one fell off! Whilst it was in I asked them to check a squeak from the front suspension, for the second time, once again they could find no fault but they did advise that they found a rattle from inside the NSR quarter panel trim panel (where the rear speaker is) which I hadnt heard. A part was ordered for this. I then booked the car into a different branch of the same dealer group for the squeak from the suspension, I took it down this morning and went a roadtest with the mechanic who lo and behold heard the squeaking almost instantly, he had it up on a ramp and could find no faults or play in the suspension. He went a further road test with the master technician who found it was the OSR door trim making the noise although he agreed it did sound like it was coming from the front suspension, he sat in the back of my car on the roadtest and heard the noise clear as day from the trim, whilst on roadtest they also heard a loud rattling from the boot area, adjusted the rubber bung things on the inside of the bootlid to take up any play/gaps and advised if this doesn't cure the boot rattle its almost certainly going to be the inner tailgate trim panel (the one below the reawr screen with the handles molded in to it for pulling the bootlid closed.

It also appears that when it's a warm or high temperature climate that these rattles and so on become much worse. At this rate I'm going to end up with a full complete new interior! I am however glad someone heard that squeak as I was beginning to think I was imagining it, also happy that Vauxhall are noticing issues without me having to notice them and point them out. Not particularly impressed with the quality though, particularly since I've been driving my dads 6 year old 125,000 miles taxi VW Jetta all week and despite being abused daily and having thousands of people pulling at trim, kicking door panels, console and so on its still tight as a drum with no rattles or squeaks from interior plastics and trim.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I couldn't compare a VW's build quality to a Vauxhall as I do believe VW's are one of the sturdiest vehicles made and vauxhall is more of a low end brand. I understand you have issues and it's a lot of money but as Mud said you bought the car cause it was cheaper, if you wanted good build quality buy a Mercedes. They're sorting them for you either way which I think is more good will than anything else although I wouldn't rattle their cage too much or they could refuse to help saying you're being a bit over the top.

Glad you got them fixed but this isn't one £50k car more like a reliant Robin in comparison.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Glad you have had some positive outcomes for your squeaking! I can't remember having to take the Ibiza back for much (as you know SEAT is part of the VAG Group), but the door card on the driver's door makes a noise but a swift jab from my elbow shuts it up! I did once buy a brand new FIAT Seicento (same dealership as the Corsa is coming from) that had a factory fitted sunroof that would leak when it rained! That was fixed under warranty and they seemed pretty helpful at the time, so I hope that continues should I have any problems with the Corsa.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal expectation and tolerance for imperfections. I could have taken the Ibiza back about the door card, but it's insignificant to me really, and easily sorted by myself. Also the instrument panel surrounds creak too - again, nothing that a quick push doesn't fix. I realise though that the issues with your car aren't so easily fixed without dealer help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was like you when i first got my LE, the interior quality is actually pretty good IMO however I have had 5 countable issues with trim peices squeeking or rattling, luckily none were inside of the door panels but its usually clips! I just sorted most of my issues myself as vauxhall take forever to get back to you and both times ive put the car into vauxhall its came out with another bloody rattle..

My boot was also one of the problems, especially when i installed my sub lol but i put some peices of foam inbetween the gaps between the plastic and metal of the boot and that silenced it!

All rattles in my car ive sorted myself and now its sweet! However I get the occasional squeek, im hoping as the trim ages it will get a little looser and shut up, cos everythings new and still sealed together!

Rattles are annoying but i think in most cars you are likely to get them unless you sort em yourself!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Iv'e seen a few post's on here regarding the Quality. I may be wrong but they all seem to be 3 door corsa's that are mentioned. Has anyone had any 5 door problems?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Del1954 said:
Iv'e seen a few post's on here regarding the Quality. I may be wrong but they all seem to be 3 door corsa's that are mentioned. Has anyone had any 5 door problems?
My 5 Door SE Auto is fine & 6 months old now & I'm still pretty impressed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats good news. I get my 5 door anytime this week, As soon as Dealer gets his finger out

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LeachiE said:
Glad you have had some positive outcomes for your squeaking! I can't remember having to take the Ibiza back for much (as you know SEAT is part of the VAG Group), but the door card on the driver's door makes a noise but a swift jab from my elbow shuts it up! I did once buy a brand new FIAT Seicento (same dealership as the Corsa is coming from) that had a factory fitted sunroof that would leak when it rained! That was fixed under warranty and they seemed pretty helpful at the time, so I hope that continues should I have any problems with the Corsa.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal expectation and tolerance for imperfections. I could have taken the Ibiza back about the door card, but it's insignificant to me really, and easily sorted by myself. Also the instrument panel surrounds creak too - again, nothing that a quick push doesn't fix. I realise though that the issues with your car aren't so easily fixed without dealer help.
Yeah I've kinda given up on bothering with daft wee bits now, however the squeaking which I thought was coming from the front suspension is all the time, and sounds like a worn suspension component hence why I took it in, the mechanic even said in his own words "that would bug the hell out of me" and the boot trim rattle is so loud it's audible even with the interior fan on speed 2 and the stereo on at volume 20, and is every time you go over a bump, jut, speedbump, divot, rough bit of road which as I'm sure you all know in the UK is fairly frequently.

Matthew, my comments about my dads VW werent to compare the 2, I realise VWs are much better screwed together, my point was a pampered 6 month old, 4000 mile car that has only ever been used by me alone, has had passengers only a handful of times has developed all these trim issues whereas a 6 year old car with 125,000 miles and thousands of occupants who haven't been careful and have kicked, scuffed and pulled at trim thousands of times and it still doesn't have any issues with the trim, rattles, squeaks or build quality, now VW or not you wouldn't be too surprised if a car subjected to that sort of abuse had more than a few loose, or broken bits of trim, rattles, squeaks and so on but it doesn't and a 6 month old 4k mile car does. Doesn't matter how much cheaper Vauxhalls are, it still doesn't sound very good does it. Can I also point out I've had another Corsa and 3 Astras in the past, ranging from 2 to 9 years old, from 11,000 miles to 87,000 miles on their clocks and none of them have had any interior, trim or build issues, parts falling off, working loose or developing rattles of their own desire not being touched, so yes I may be being overly picky and anal but when you've had 4 other cars from the same manufacturer, without any problem at all, you are going to expect the same frm a brand new car from that manufacturer and be disappointed and annoyed when it isn't. I would go as far infact as to say my mk3 1997 Astra had better build than a 1997 Golf, my 2002 Astra mk4 had equivalent build quality to a mk4 2002 Golf, my 2005 Corsa C had better build than a 2005 Polo and my 2005 Astra H had equivalent build to a 2005 mkv Golf (which is what my dads 2009 Jetta is only with a boot on it) and I say that from widespread experience of working in the motortrade and driving many different examples of these cars. Infact my uncles partner still has my old 2002 mk4 Astra with over 100k on it now and 13 years old and its still solid and far better than my Corsa. I can only wonder if its got something to do with the E being a new model and mine being an early one and it taking a while to sort build quality like ice heard happen on other cars, you always hear people saying buy a car that's about 2 years after the model has been released so all build and trim issues have been ironed out but not a late enough model that cost cutting has took effect and its lost all its toys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can sympathise.

I did post on another topic sometime back about when I bought a new Mini Cooper D - great car, but we parted company after an internal noise which was very, very loud, and went on for 6 months - and they still couldn't fix it - and wouldn't take the car back. It was that bad, it became almost undriveable as it drove me, and anyone else in the car, totally mad!

About 9 years back, I bought a new BMW on finance. It was a bad idea - financially, and as turned out, car-wise as well. Once again, it was dogged with problems. One in particular was something rolling around in the chassis when you went around corners. Upshot was it was a loose screw or something rattling around, left in there from the factory.

My Corsa, on the other hand - a humble 1.2 Excite A/C, has (so far) been a dream in this area. I can't fault the build quality one bit. My last car, a Hyundai i20 always drove well, but felt a little cheap. The Corsa feels much sturdier in comparison, and for that, I'm both happy and relieved.

I do feel for you as there's nothing worse than paying the premium for new, and having the situation of your older, cheaper car being a better bet. I learnt to use finance - the Mini dealer even telling me that if I hadn't had bought the car outright (ie using private finance rather than their own PCP, etc.) that things would have been different as it would have still been 'their' car.

Hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
spongebob said:
I can sympathise.

I did post on another topic sometime back about when I bought a new Mini Cooper D - great car, but we parted company after an internal noise which was very, very loud, and went on for 6 months - and they still couldn't fix it - and wouldn't take the car back. It was that bad, it became almost undriveable as it drove me, and anyone else in the car, totally mad!

About 9 years back, I bought a new BMW on finance. It was a bad idea - financially, and as turned out, car-wise as well. Once again, it was dogged with problems. One in particular was something rolling around in the chassis when you went around corners. Upshot was it was a loose screw or something rattling around, left in there from the factory.

My Corsa, on the other hand - a humble 1.2 Excite A/C, has (so far) been a dream in this area. I can't fault the build quality one bit. My last car, a Hyundai i20 always drove well, but felt a little cheap. The Corsa feels much sturdier in comparison, and for that, I'm both happy and relieved.

I do feel for you as there's nothing worse than paying the premium for new, and having the situation of your older, cheaper car being a better bet. I learnt to use finance - the Mini dealer even telling me that if I hadn't had bought the car outright (ie using private finance rather than their own PCP, etc.) that things would have been different as it would have still been 'their' car.

Hope you get it sorted!
Yeah I have heard that before regarding cars bought on finance and being able to go to the finance house and say you are having issues and they can then use their weight to pressure the dealer or give a bit of leverage.

If I start having severe issues (ive not had a single mechanical issue yet) then my car is financed through private hire purchase, I'll go too the finance company and tell them I refuse to pay for a car I can't use due to faults or is suffering too many faults, and let them sort it, as after all its technically their car until all payments are made and its in their interests to get it sorted.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jarviser said:
you could try refusing to pay but the bailiffs charge quite a premium!
Refusing to pay usually gets the finance company on the dealers case to get the car fixed before you actually miss a payment and start down that route of bailiffs etc :lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 5 month old 5 door SRi with 3500 miles on the clock. And the build quality inside and out is fine, just what i'd expect from a Vauxhall.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
elsieyam said:
You should get a french car to compare it to. I had a C4 coupe. Absolute junk. My new corsa is far better in feel and look.
Yeah I had a Clio before and the Corsa despite all the issues ive had is better but it wouldn't be hard. I also used to work for a Fiat and Citroen dealership so I'm aware just how bad the C4s were. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts