Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After using BringGo via my iPhone5s for nearly one hour yesterday I found that the phone was getting very warm/hot to the touch.

I have contacted BringGo Customer Support for advise as I am concerned that this could eventually cause damage to the USB connection
on the Infotainment Centre?

Other iPhone functions do not appear to cause this problem.

I have also asked for advise from Vauxhall Customer Support as this may be a known problem with other vehicles.

Will advise further once I get any feed back.

Derek

·
Registered
75 Posts
Do you have to have your phone connected via the charging/data cable or can you access it wirelessly? I find when I connect my phone to the laptop for syncing it gets warm espesially when it reaches 100% charge.I haven't got my new car yet but can't wait to try this system!

Sam

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sam, thanks for your reply but unfortunately the iPhone can only connect to BringGo using the USB cable connection. Bluetooth works fine for the phone call connection.

Derek

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Anthony, yes my Information Centre connects to my listed music as soon as I plug the USB cable in. If I want the Radio I just hit the Source Button & select what I want, very easy once you done it.

Derek

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys, regards to My iPhone5S getting Warm/hot, Vauxhall Customer Support have confirmed they are aware the iPhone will become warm whilst charging via the USB connector but recommend that when " in Use " any attached iPhone covers are remove to " Aid Air Flow ". Doing this they believe that would prevent any problems with the USB Connection of Infotainment Centre.

As a further Aid I would ensure that once you have BringGo connected that you turn the iPhone display " Off " by pressing the " Sleep Button "
this would also prevent any excess heat being produced. I will carry on using BringGo and see how I get on using the above recommendations.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't think this is related to bringgo, my Nokia Lumia windows phone gets stinking hot after an hour when running its here+ sat nav app. Sat nav apps are all very intensive for mobile phones and they all get hot when running for long periods. All my work colleagues with either Apple or Android phones suffer the same. The app is so intensive that my phone struggles to maintain a charge even when plugged into the USB, without the USB the battery is flattened within 40 minutes. The sat nav apps consume so much CPU that it causes excessive heat, I've spoken to Nokia who said similar, that I should remove my heavy duty protective case to allow better heat dissipation from the alloy phone casing. This was not an option as it takes flipping ages to remove and re-install the rugged/splashproof case.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mud4fun for your comments, I have only experienced this on my iPhone5S since connecting to the Infotainment Centre & using the BringGo App. Previous to this I was using my iPhone with the Tom Tom App with no heating problems experienced. Also I have used my iPhone to Mirror BT Sport to my PC and Apple TV on several occasions & again with no heating problems ?? so maybe I just been lucky on those occasions.

Yes removing the iPhone case each time you want to use it could be a pain & force me to go back to using my Tom Tom App.

As said earlier I will try again with BringGo using the recommendations & see how we get on & feed back results.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hi Derek,

I have used my phone to stream movies etc and also never experienced overheating issues. It seems to be just the sat nav app that causes the worst problems.

Here+ even has all the maps stored on my phone so is not having to live stream them via a mobile data connection so you'd think it was going to be more efficient?

To be fair though, it may be that the Tom Tom app is not doing as much work as the bringgo or here+ apps? I know a couple of my colleagues use Tom Tom and it pales into comparison to the Here+ app for features and functionality. The more features the more CPU power consumed?

I will be interested to see how you get on as I'm due to replace my phone in a few months time and may consider an iPhone or Android to get more value out of intellilink from the Corsa as my windows phone is not well supported. I love my Here+ sat nav but would like to feed the mapping to the intellilink screen which is not supported and bringgo is not currently available for windows phone.

Ian

PS My phone doesn't get that hot when running the sat nav when not plugged into the USB. I use it when out on the mountain bike and it never overheats!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ian all great information, my only problem is I don't do enough miles to really give this a BringGo a proper trial run and that is why I was totally surprised that it only took up to an hour for my iPhone to get as hot as it did ? so will see if I can get some sought of comparison to that. In my previous life I used to trial the old Analogue and replacement Digital Portable Radios and Systems so not that much different to Mobile Phone technology except they did not have all of the attached Apps & Processors and Usages we have available now with Mobile Phones.

Yep it is the charging through the Infotainment Centre which was my main concern as you cant use the iPhone and BringGo App without using the USB connectivity.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I do a 250 mile commute to head office once or twice a week. If the M1 has problems I've been using the Here+ app to get me home cross country instead. The journey is upto 6 hours long so I'm used to a mobile you can fry an egg on...:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah Ian, that brings back memories ?? I been retired for last two year + so don't have so much travelling as you ?? be lucky if I manage 6,500 miles a year now. No chance of me frying an egg he he.

Derek

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Derek, it isn't that bad to be honest. I used to do 50K miles a year when I was travelling to customers sites but now I work from home most days so doing just 15K miles a year. Mostly motorway too which makes life easier. The problem is when the M1 or M18 are closed, cross country is a nightmare because Lincolnshire is like something out of the twilight zone, no road signs or signs that contradict each other. If it wasn't for the sat nav I think I would still be going around in circles in some out of the way village in deepest darkest Lincolnshire.... :)

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been using the TomTom Sat nav app for a number of years on my iPhones (3gs, 4s, 5, 5s, 6) and i can confirm that after using it and charging it for a while my phone was always warmer / hot to the touch, especially as it was using the screen.

Most devices will get warm when the radios and gps are being used and charging can increase the device more, iPhones have an overheat function and will switch off if this occurs (happened once when driving in France).
The advice common is that when ever you are charging a device to remove any cases (not really practical i know)

HTH
CalKlein

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.