Vauxhall Corsa E Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I browse online and see a used 15 plate LE 5dr in shiny rock and I love how it looks! :roll: Grrrr! Times like this that I really wish I lived on the mainland with loads of dealers in easy reach to have a look at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I love the body kit but not so keen on the black roof, so maybe an SRi VX line. But then I love the cheap road tax of those with smaller wheels. Hmmmm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
LeachiE said:
I love the body kit but not so keen on the black roof, so maybe an SRi VX line. But then I love the cheap road tax of those with smaller wheels. Hmmmm!
It's basically Looks vs Gadgetry - decide that, then you know the car you want!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know. Such a hard choice :( I have also found an SRi VXline with winter pack and front and rear parking sensors for over £3800 cheaper than the new price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
LimeyUK said:
It's basically Looks vs Gadgetry - decide that, then you know the car you want!
Not really accurate Limey. Virtually all gadgets available on Sri and SE are available as cost options on LE so if money is no object you can have looks and gadgets! ;-)

Same can't be said of SRi or SE as neither has any of the LE features (black wheels, tints, black roof) as cost options.

The only gadget that is not available as option on LE (according to configurator) is mood lighting unless that comes as part of the sight and light pack but not documented on the configurator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:
It's basically Looks vs Gadgetry - decide that, then you know the car you want!
Not really accurate Limey. Virtually all gadgets available on Sri and SE are available as cost options on LE so if money is no object you can have looks and gadgets! ;-)

Same can't be said of SRi or SE as neither has any of the LE features (black wheels, tints, black roof) as cost options.

The only gadget that is not available as option on LE (according to configurator) is mood lighting unless that comes as part of the sight and light pack but not documented on the configurator?
Ambient Lighting not available as an option on any spec other than the SRi/VX-Line/SE and tbh as much as its a neat feature and kinda cool, I really wouldn't miss it if it wasn't fitted. Only other thing on SRi/VX-Line/SE you can't spec as an option on any other spec is 60/40 split folding rear seat, but again not missing much not having it.

Leachie just buy a VX-Line then youve got looks and gadgets as standard, its only £80 a year more road tax so its not a huge amount, plus the one youve seen with winter pack and parking sensors sounds ideal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it does seem ideal. Only thing would be finance. It's a 64 plate but only 5 months old. Another thing is it wouldn't have the HW number plate. It is available through Network Q though so could probably get my local dealer to bring it down to the Island. I did that before with one of the Merivas - found one online then told the dealer which one I wanted! :lol: That dealer was part of a larger group of dealers whereas the dealership is now a local independant dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
LimeyUK said:
It's basically Looks vs Gadgetry - decide that, then you know the car you want!
Not really accurate Limey. Virtually all gadgets available on Sri and SE are available as cost options on LE so if money is no object you can have looks and gadgets! ;-)

Same can't be said of SRi or SE as neither has any of the LE features (black wheels, tints, black roof) as cost options.

The only gadget that is not available as option on LE (according to configurator) is mood lighting unless that comes as part of the sight and light pack but not documented on the configurator?
True, but I'm meaning more for stock versions, rather than adding options and waiting ages for your car.

Also, if you add the panoramic sunroof (to any model?) you get the black roof, according to the configurator anyway!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Wouldn't have made any difference to me ;-) mine was a 10 week factory build anyway as are most turbo engined cars or those with none common colours. I could have opted for every gadget and wouldn't have delayed it by much over the time I waited anyway. :-(

Several of the used or pre-registered LE's I've seen have had option packs. The winter pack seems to be on many. Some people obviously do have more money than sense as all those packs push the price of an LE well into Astra territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
Wouldn't have made any difference to me ;-) mine was a 10 week factory build anyway as are most turbo engined cars or those with none common colours. I could have opted for every gadget and wouldn't have delayed it by much over the time I waited anyway. :-(

Several of the used or pre-registered LE's I've seen have had option packs. The winter pack seems to be on many. Some people obviously do have more money than sense as all those packs push the price of an LE well into Astra territory.
Though it would be into the Low end Astra territory where they wouldnt have the gadgets, can't win :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
mud4fun said:
Wouldn't have made any difference to me ;-) mine was a 10 week factory build anyway as are most turbo engined cars or those with none common colours. I could have opted for every gadget and wouldn't have delayed it by much over the time I waited anyway. :-(

Several of the used or pre-registered LE's I've seen have had option packs. The winter pack seems to be on many. Some people obviously do have more money than sense as all those packs push the price of an LE well into Astra territory.
Agree with that last bit. I've seen people with literally £1000s worth of add-ons. They're better off getting a better motor overall! Each to their own I suppose..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
92jas said:
Agree with that last bit. I've seen people with literally £1000s worth of add-ons. They're better off getting a better motor overall! Each to their own I suppose..
Yes, if I was going to spend nearly £18K on new car I think I'd choose one of the special offer Astras (some very good offers on at the moment too as the new model is due out soon) and for £18K you can get an LE Astra (albiet a rather low powered one) OR I'd buy a Corsa VXR ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,357 Posts
mud4fun said:
92jas said:
Agree with that last bit. I've seen people with literally £1000s worth of add-ons. They're better off getting a better motor overall! Each to their own I suppose..
Yes, if I was going to spend nearly £18K on new car I think I'd choose one of the special offer Astras (some very good offers on at the moment too as the new model is due out soon) and for £18K you can get an LE Astra (albiet a rather low powered one) OR I'd buy a Corsa VXR ;-)
I think I'd elect to go with the VXR rather than a lower Astra - as nice as they are :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Wouldn't have made any difference to me ;-) mine was a 10 week factory build anyway as are most turbo engined cars or those with none common colours. I could have opted for every gadget and wouldn't have delayed it by much over the time I waited anyway. :-(

Several of the used or pre-registered LE's I've seen have had option packs. The winter pack seems to be on many. Some people obviously do have more money than sense as all those packs push the price of an LE well into Astra territory.
The difference is not only is the Corsa a good car, its a far better one than the heavy gutless, lardy, poorly equipped current model Astra with piss poor interior, and I love Astras in general, just don't rate the J at all, sure the LE, Bi Turbo and Tech Line GTs look good as do the GTCs (no longer an Astra, GTC is a model in its own right now) but the interior is horrible and crap, even the top of the range Elite spec doesn't get USB, DAB or Bluetooth (though the "lower spec" special editions do) and anyone who's ever driven a J and an E with half a brain would pick the E all day long.

Just 2 hours ago I was piloting a 1.6 SRi Sports Tourer which was lethargic and needed a serious shoeing and working the gears a lot to get it near motorway speeds, I'd actually consider them dangerous. CDTIs arent much better with their typical diesel narrow power band before they run out of puff, I'd imagine the 1.6T is a hoot though or the VXR, as good an engine as the 1.4 T is I reckon its too small a lump for the heavy Astra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Yes, sadly emission regs means smaller engines are what all manufacturers are having to fit. To meet the 2018-2020 targets they'll have to be fitting 1.0T engines to Insignia/mondeo sized cars. So to get performance those little engines will have to rev sky high and last no time OR people will need to get smaller cars.

I actually think the 1.4T is too small for the Corsa! I'd have preferred the option of a big normally aspirated 1.8 or 2.0 to be honest. Nicer, more drivable engines with character. Not great on fuel though :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Yes, sadly emission regs means smaller engines are what all manufacturers are having to fit. To meet the 2018-2020 targets they'll have to be fitting 1.0T engines to Insignia/mondeo sized cars. So to get performance those little engines will have to rev sky high and last no time OR people will need to get smaller cars.

I actually think the 1.4T is too small for the Corsa! I'd have preferred the option of a big normally aspirated 1.8 or 2.0 to be honest. Nicer, more drivable engines with character. Not great on fuel though :-(
:eek: :shock: normally you are singing the praises of the 1.4T religiously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Hehe, yes it is the best on offer in the range IMHO and mpg is amazing however I always prefer to get the biggest engine possible in a given car size, not necessarily for performance but for longevity. These tiny turbo engines won't last half as long as big normally aspirated engines. A concern for me as I tend to run my cars for very high mileages, typically 200K+ miles which is approx 8 years at my avg annual mileage.

Dafny has already done 6500 miles in 12 weeks so you can get an idea of just how quick she'll hit 100K miles. It means I'll need to buy a new car every 4 years and be permanently paying finance whereas in the past I've run vehicles for 8 years of which only 3 were on finance so loan free for 5 years. At my high mileage the vehicles depreciate far too fast to be constantly replacing every few years, better to run them until scrap and get a good few loan free years out of them :)

A 1.8na would give equal performance but last alot longer in my opinion. Probably still get 40-50mpg for my journey types too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
mud4fun said:
Hehe, yes it is the best on offer in the range IMHO and mpg is amazing however I always prefer to get the biggest engine possible in a given car size, not necessarily for performance but for longevity. These tiny turbo engines won't last half as long as big normally aspirated engines. A concern for me as I tend to run my cars for very high mileages, typically 200K+ miles which is approx 8 years at my avg annual mileage.

Dafny has already done 6500 miles in 12 weeks so you can get an idea of just how quick she'll hit 100K miles. It means I'll need to buy a new car every 4 years and be permanently paying finance whereas in the past I've run vehicles for 8 years of which only 3 were on finance so loan free for 5 years. At my high mileage the vehicles depreciate far too fast to be constantly replacing every few years, better to run them until scrap and get a good few loan free years out of them :)

A 1.8na would give equal performance but last alot longer in my opinion. Probably still get 40-50mpg for my journey types too.
1.8n/a poor for fuel economy if my old 1.8 Astra H is anything to go by, would be nowhere near as nice to drive or as fun as your 1.4T, and I'd even go so far as to say I reckon my 1.4 n/a E is as quick as the 1.8 Astra in the real world and would absolutely nail it. That said I do understand completely what you mean about reliability and longevity. A large lazy unstressed engine would last ages plus no Turbo etc to fail. Main issue with a 1.8 in a Corsa is itd be too tempting to razz about youd get poor economy plus no 6 speed box would impact on mpg as 70mph is about 3000+ rpm in 5th on the 1.8. I did manage to get a speedo indicated 135 on my "private racetrack" in my 1.8 Astra once though, so probably about 121/122 mph, not bad for an engine whos original design must by now be well over 20years old first appearing as the C18XE In early mk3 Astra GSis.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite the E effectively being the same shell as the D and therefore the same weight, the 1.4 E feels world's apart from the 1.4 D, I remember first driving a 1.4 D after owning a 1.4 twinport SXi Corsa C and couldn't believe how slow the D felt, the C seemed absolutely rapid by comparison and I honestly thought with the trend for cars getting heavier and Lardier this was only going to get worse but despite the C and E being totally different to drive, they are both as much fun, they both have that nippiness that was missing from the D that I never thought Vauxhall could get back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,902 Posts
Ah, I wasn't so much talking about an existing VX 1.8 but a brand new engine utilising some of the technology we see on the 1.4na but in a larger capacity.

I used to get 50+mpg from a 2.0efi in my Peugeot 405 GTX estate on the motorway and that was 15 years ago. That car was also extremely rapid! I have no doubt a well designed modern 1.8 or 2.0na could give similar mpg especially with a 6 speed box.

Sadly I don't think they will make any such engine as the government emissions test favours tiny engines even if they don't perform that well in the real world. The VX 1.0T is gutless at low revs compared to even my 1.4T and even that is gutless at lower rpm (<1800) compared to my 1.8na Cavalier (late 80's) or the 1.8 Astra Sport I had (90's vintage)

BTW that Astra sport probably didn't weigh much more than my Corsa and the Corsa feels as big overall so I reckon the Corsa is now as big as an early 90's Astra! That was a very fast car though, I remember it had a stopwatch built into the stalk!! Don't see that any more? ;-)
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top